Life changing steps

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know most people would say "Easy for me to say" since I carried both of my children, but 1 of my 2 pregnancies that resulted in children (I had one mis) really sucked. It was when all my valve problems started. I'd do it over again to have the wonderful daughter I have, but if someone had come to me and said - we can give you this exact same child, but you don't have to be pregnant, I'd take them up on it. I can't say I really loved being pregnant. It was what I had to do to be what I wanted most to be - a Mom.

One of my many thoughts after giving birth to my son (our first child) was about how unconnected he was to the last nine months. I loved him because I had prepared for him for 9 months (or more) and had anticipated his arrival all that time. The big belly and the hemmorhoids etc, didn't really connect to this wonderful baby - for me. I'm sure some women are different. So one of my thoughts was "I now understand why adoptive parents say they don't love their adoptive children any differently or less." I think it's the preparation and anticipation that makes that connection, and you are defininately doing all sorts of preparing and anticipating.

My biggest thought was "Wow - this is how much my parents love me!" I told my children many times that they wouldn't know how much I love them until they had children of their own. Last Mother's Day (the first one after the arrival of my Avatar :D) my son said "Mom - you're right. I never knew just how much you loved me until the day Avery was born."

I'm so thrilled for you and wish you many of God's blessings (such as the friendship you are developing with your surrogate) as you go through this process of being a parent. It's a process different from how I became a parent - but the "how" of the process isn't nearly as important as the "why" of the process. Your "why" is because you are going to be a terrific Mom.

Had my follow up from the clomid challenge today. The nurse said my ovaries and blood work looked "okay" and the doctor thinks he can get 6-8 eggs from me when the time comes. So now Nathan and I are set up to go in for our FDA screenings (physical, blood work that includes STD tests, and a psych evaluation)... The ball is rolling!

Hey Niki,

Looks like things are working out for ya...cool beans!

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Feelings are intense" ... Depeche Mode ... 'Enjoy The Silence'

Wow! These are really exciting updates Niki!!!!!!! I am so happy for you that the "ball is rolling"!! Best wishes for good success throughout the entire process!!!! I'll be watching for your updates!
:)

Just wanted to weigh in and say how thrilled I am for you and Nathan! I have to agree with what others have said about the pregnancy experience. In my case it was overrated! When you factor in all that morning sickness... The main thing is the baby, and you instantly forget about the pregnancy. Wishing all the best of luck and joy!
Jane (aka francie12)

So I realized it's been quite a while since my last update. Not a lot has happened yet, but things are really going to start rolling here soon. Thus far we have had all the testing done (doctor says our surrogate's uterus is "beautiful" ;) ). Sunday I will start on BCP and when LD (the surrogate) gets her period she will start on BCP as well. Once they get our cycles "in sync" we will start on fertility drugs. I expect for them to harvest my eggs in the second week of October and transfer the embryos to LD 5 days later. I don't know any exact dates, though, since it is dependent on when she gets her period. On Monday I'll be talking to the nurse and finding out more. I am guessing on the timing some based on looking at a sample IVF calendar I found online.

Nathan and I kept my 14 month old nephew for a week this summer and it was great. I admit I was very tired at first (the first full day I had him he refused to nap!), but I had so much fun. And by the end of the week I'd adjusted and was keeping up with him much better. :D I was so sad to see him go. :( I miss him so much. Amazingly, I found I was actually MORE productive with him around because I didn't say to myself "aw, I can do that later" and then surf the 'net for hours on end. ;) Keeping him for that week has really made the baby bug bite even harder. For both of us, I think. Nathan keeps talking about "this time next year..." :D It's so exciting to hear him looking forward to being a father. And to get the positive cardiology report yesterday makes me even more excited about our decision to move forward. I have hope that my health will stay strong enough to take care of a little one for a long time to come. :D

Niki, that is really fantastic news. I hope that ya'll are successful on the first try and I look forward to hearing even better news soon. Good luck to all of you.

Kim

Niki:

Things keep moving forward for you! That's great!

I'm in St. Louis visiting my niece, Holly, who is expecting twins about 11/11. Her mom (my sister) keeps buying baby things and shipping them to her. I think she's already bought their prom and wedding dresses. ;)
When the time comes, you might want to check out a shop at the Allen Outlet Mall -- Children's Playground may be the name. We picked up some steals there 2 weeks ago...

This is great Niki...we are all following your story awaiting the pitter patter of tiny feet in your house! Its great that you get to practise on your nephew!

Niki: hope things keep going at this pace, and as well, for you and Nathan. I can't wait to be a "virtual Auntie" lol.

A nosy question, and you can tell me to go for a hike if you like, and don't anwer if you don't want to, but could any of your heart problems be passed on? or do they screen for that before transfer to the surrogate mother? I am sure it has been factored in your decision-making, you're such a sensible lass ...

A nosy question, and you can tell me to go for a hike if you like, and don't anwer if you don't want to, but could any of your heart problems be passed on? or do they screen for that before transfer to the surrogate mother? I am sure it has been factored in your decision-making, you're such a sensible lass ...
Not nosy at all. :) I have no problems with answering any and all questions. You'd be surprised at some of the questions I've been asked! :eek: ;)

I've talked with some doctors and no one can really say one way or the other if my heart defects have a chance of being passed on... Well, they all say there's a CHANCE, but they don't know how big of one. After all, as far as we know I'm the only person in my family history to have heart defects at all, so who knows where I got it. We do plan to have a fetal echo when the baby is in utero, but more so we can be prepared than anything else. I've been asked if we would terminate if the baby did have heart problems and my answer is an emphatic NO. After all, if my mother had felt that way (and they'd had the technology back then to know before birth), I wouldn't be alive. And I rather like being alive. ;) No, I figure we'll just take the same chance everyone else does when they decide to have a kid. We'll love him/her no matter what! :D And if he/she does have heart defects, at least I can be a support to him/her since I've "been there, done that." Of course, I will be praying for a healthy heart! :D

Niki
Passing along my prayers for your adventure.
One of the mom's on my son's soccer team went this route this past year..and got 2 beautiful girls .. Twins.. but not identical!
May your journey be as fruitful!

Niki
Passing along my prayers for your adventure.
One of the mom's on my son's soccer team went this route this past year..and got 2 beautiful girls .. Twins.. but not identical!
May your journey be as fruitful!

Actually, I'd rather just have one at a time. :eek: ;) But we'll take what we can get!

Glad you shared the news! I will pray for all of you especially that sweet little one.

Thank you all so much. I got to talk about my favorite topic (the surrogacy) quite a bit today. Someone was asking about my little red VW Bug and I said "I just hope I get to keep it after we get a kid." Someone else picked up on the "get a kid" part and asked if we'd be adopting. I said no, we'll be using a surrogate. I had the immediate attention of 6 other people around us! LOL They all started asking questions and telling me how "awesome" it was. They asked me to keep them updated as it unfolds and are just absolutely fascinated. It's so exhilarating to have so much support all around us. :D Thank you all so much for your positive feedback and for any prayers you say on our behalf. :D

Latest posts

Back