Life changing steps

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnusgal

I have not shared much of this with all of you as of yet because I know not everyone will agree with our decision. However, I'm just bursting with excitement and want to share it with my valve "family."

Nathan and I have been married for nearly 7 years, and together for 5.5 more before that. The whole time we've been together, Nathan has known it was more than likely that I would not be able to carry a pregnancy. When I had my valve replacement in 2002, that cinched it. We could not put me or the baby in that much risk. We've explored many options, and (for many reasons) settled several years ago on pursuing surrogacy (my egg, his sperm) when we were ready to start a family.

For me, that time came over a year ago, but I knew I wanted us to have bought a house first. We finally moved into our first home in September, and of course my mind immediately went to babies... Nathan still needed time to adjust.

All this time I have been on a support group (similar to this one) for people involved in surrogacy (either as surrogates, or intended parents). I've met some wonderful women through this group and know just how beautiful this journey can be. One of those women offered to carry our child for us when we are ready. I cannot tell you how overjoyed her offer makes me. Being that I've known her online for years, I had no hesitation, but knew I needed Nathan to be completely on board.

Today, she and her husband came to visit us (I'd met them before, but Nathan had not). Everything went wonderfully. No concrete plans have been made just yet, but I feel like we're finally taking a step in the right direction. When I asked Nathan what he thought of her, he said "I'm certain she would take excellent care of our child." I loved his response. I cannot wait to go on this journey with him. I want so much to be a mom and to see him as a dad. :)

Congrats to you Niki on taking this giant step and hearing the response from Nathan that you wanted to hear - YIPPEE.

I sending you prayers for the days and months (years?) to come, that everything goes well.

I am so thrilled for you!

I am so thrilled for you!

I started crying just reading your post. I can't wait to follow you along in this incredibly exciting journey. Many hugs and much love. J.

Sounds like a great way to have a baby! I had a student whose mother was a surrogate at least twice, and even though she was getting paid, I always thought it was such a generous thing for her to do.

Congrats on your decision.

That's wonderful news and we look forward to following you on this journey and wish you all the very best.

Niki...I think this is SO cool....I am excited for you and Nathan....As to what others think....that my dear brings to mind a toast......"Here's to those who wish us well and those that don't can go to hell".....Please share this beautiful journey with us as it unfolds!!!!

Hi Niki

You go, guys.....what great news. Please keep us posted......hope it's a girl.

Evelyn

Niki,

That sounds absolutely wonderful. Congradulations. Please keep us updated as things progress.

Debbie

HURRAH wonderful news. Please continue to share your journey with us. I will be looking for updates. A baby is such a wonderful addition to a family. My son and his wife are expecting in June and this will probably be our last grandchild. This will be #6. Five boys and one girl so guess what I am hoping for but as long as it's healthy it doesn't really matter.
I will remember you and your husband in my prayers as you undertake this journey.
Earline

What happy, encouraging news to wake up to this morning! I'll pray for the very best experience as God guides you through this journey to parenthood. I know you'll make terrific parents! (Just think of the quilts!!!!!)

Thank you all for your wonderful support! :D I wasn't sure if my message actually went through (my computer froze just after hitting the "send" button), so when I got online this morning I was surprised and thrilled at the number of you who responded. I am excited to go share this important part of my life with you all. :D

Absolutely wonderful news! My prayers will be that everything will work out for you and your husband.:) :) :)

Karl

good for you - it may be an "unconventional" path to follow, but if you and he are both OK with it, it's the right one and anyone who doesn't agree can go anywhere they like ! please keep us posted - I can be a vr.com auntie ;)

OH, WOW! What exciting news. We are so proud for you and will be right there as 'relatives' during the incubation period and birth, etc. We'll be happy gparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. Ready made family. Thank you for including us.

This has come at an appropriate time, what with us losing and missing our dear Bonnie. Blessins......

Wonderful news, sending my best wishes, keep us posted on your progress.

Back