Life After Open Heart Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great information. Thanks.
I do question the part about waiting an hour after meals or alcohol before sex. Unless the sex takes place in the pool. Now that's good clean fun:D :p :D

That really covered everything!! That was excellent!

I think it should be definitely listed somewhere for those in the waiting room. Best I've seen.

Great of you to post it!

Marguerite

I had some good advice following my OHS, and many of these points were covered -- but not all. This is definitely the best compilation I have seen. I, too, would recommend it become standard fare for those in the waiting room.

Good Post

Good Post

There was a lot of good information in this link. :)
I would be interested to know how many members <50 years had stockings recommended "Use your elastic stockings during the day and remove them at night. You should wear the stockings for at least 2 weeks after discharge or more if your ankles are still swollen. The stockings aid blood flow and help reduce swelling in the legs". No one ever mentioned stocking after my AVR. :confused: The only patients I came across with stockings were CABG patients.
The other thing I found interesting under "sexual activity" being a single gent was "Maintain a .... familiar surroundings and partner". I can't say I have found this an issue. ;)

regarding stockings...

regarding stockings...

Thanks for posting that information, Jim.

Can we cut and paste that entire article for a sticky, giving credit where credit is due, in case the link doesn't work at a later date? The info is extremely informative.

Regarding stockings, Mr. Emu;) , I had to wear those annoying stockings following my first heart surgery so many years ago but not following my valve replacement four years ago. Anyone else?

They never suggested stockings to me after my AVR. Maybe it's because I never had any swelling in my ankles (and was only 44).

Well you all know the very last part of the article is where I went. :D

I'll be placing this link in the MUST HAVE section if anyone can remember that we have such a thing in the reference forum.

For those who can relate to me.............I really like this one:

When you are upset, your heart works harder. It is best to anticipate and avoid situations, people, or topics of conversation that make you tense or angry

I was given stockings once I was moved from ICU. They stayed on for 2 days.

Just had my surgery for a mechanical Mitral valve and have to wear the wonderful stockings. Had to wear them in the hospital 24 hours a day. Instructed when I came home to only wear during the day for three weeks...longer if feet or ankles are swelling. So...still sporting them til Tues. :)

Latest posts

Back