Just finished Angiogram/Cath, BAVR on Dec. 1, checking into the Waiting Room

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normofthenorth

I'm pretty new here, posting from Toronto, Canada. My GP (PCP) noticed a murmur ~5-6 years ago, which led to me hooking up with a Cardiologist, getting periodic stress and non-stress echo cardiograms to monitor my BAV. There was a CT scan or two thrown in, too.

Meanwhile, I was a super-active 60-something athlete. Lots of bicycling around town, always took stairs 2-at-a-time on the run, and played competitive beach and court volleyball (usually with fewer than 6 per team) with a bunch of 30-somethings.

If you'd asked me 10 years ago to name the part of my body I worried about the LEAST, I might have mentioned my heart!

So, even with the stenosis and regurg numbers gradually "going south", my Cardiologist didn't have much hope of convincing me to go for OHS while I was still having so much fun beating up my body. He did introduce me to a Cardiac Surgeon, and I'd met with him twice. He was also content to have me wait to develop symptoms.

[Here's a little video clip from my mental scrapbook, extreme yet typical: Two or three years ago, 3 beach-volleyball buddies of mine (all in their 20s or 30s) and I rented an indoor volleyball court for a Saturday afternoon, at a place where we'd never played before. They had 5 courts, and we expected to bump into some players we knew, or at least that we wanted to play some 4-on-4 ball with or against. But no! There was only one other court in use, and the players on it were nowhere near our "speed".
So instead of playing 4-on-4, we split into two teams and started playing 2-on-2. We swapped the players around until we made two teams that were well balanced. We played and we played, hard, with no more timeouts than to have a drink of water and sometimes a granola bar between games.
We were all playing on the edge of exhaustion. Two-on-two beach volleyball is a very brutal game for anybody! After about 2.5 hours (pout of 3 hrs total), my (37-year-old) teammate and I were on a bit of a streak, with me serving. The ball came back to my teammate, who mis-played it -- he totally "pooched" it. While huffing and puffing violently, he came out with an apology: "I'm sorry, Norm, but I just needed 5 more minutes to catch my breath before you served!" That tickled me so much, I expect to remember it for the rest of my life!:)]

Around 3 weeks ago, I had an experience that was remarkably ironic: Based on the gradual decline of my BAVR, I'd started assuming that I'd have it replaced sometime this month (Nov.). But by mid-Oct., I was still asymptomatic and feeling fine, so I wasn't so sure any more.
Cardiologist's appointment, to have an Echo and discuss the Stress Echo I'd done a few months earlier. I'd lasted maybe 8:45 before hitting my target pulse rate, no problems with any of the readings except the gradual decline of the BAVR. It wasn't quite as good as the one I did 6 months earlier (maybe 9:15 or so), but in-between I'd torn my left Achilles tendon (my SECOND!) and gotten completely out of shape, so it was pretty good. Cardio agrees that we can postpone the OHS, at least for 6 months, then talk again. Next Stress-Echo scheduled for Dec. 1, to keep tabs on my valve.

My torn Achilles had recovered almost completely since December -- WITHOUT surgery, using a new-fangled non-op protocol that I recommend to anybody you know who's torn an AT! -- and I was thinking of trying out Beach Volleyball again.

Well, it would be a SLIGHTLY better story if I felt my first symptoms on my way out of his office, walking back to the car. . . but it was really a couple of days later!!:p:eek2::cool2:

I started feeling some abnormal heart racing, and some shortness of breath while walking on the level(!) -- this was definitely NOT normal. No volleyball for me, at least not with this valve. So I phoned the Cardio and the Surgeon. Cardio scheduled an Angio for today (Monday), Surgeon saw me last Wednesday and scheduled OHS for Dec. 1.

So I'm definitely in "the waiting room"!

Angiogram today killed the day and much of the evening -- Lots of "hurry up and wait", short procedure, then 10-lb sandbag for 3.5 hours. No Angio-seal at Toronto Gen'l Hospital unless you've got unusual problems. But the staff was very nice, and watching the big screens during the procedure was kind of fun. No pain except for a couple of Ow-y needles (IV & local anaesthetic).

They did leave me without food or drink for hours, until the Angio was through. And I'm restricted now for up to a week -- no sports, no bicycling, no lifting >10 lbs, no hot baths, etc. Still a walk in the park compared to. . . say. . . OHS!:wink2:

They did both sides (1 artery and 1 vein, NOT cross-valve). Toward the end, they dumped a load of contrast medium at once, to show the root of my Aorta. Hot flushes bouncing around my body, as they predicted(!). (It's also dilated, as we already knew.)

My coronary arteries seem to be "clean as a whistle", which I think was the main value-added finding from the Angio. I got a bunch of other numbers, most of which mean nothing to me. One must have been weird, because the Doc wrote "(confirmed)" after it: "PCW = 6". I don't think it added anything to the uncertainty about what's going to become of my MITRAL valve.

Early on, the Surgeon told me that he thought my MV would recover on its own after the AV was replaced. But last week, he indicated that it was a choice between repair and replacement. I didn't push him on it, and I don't know if the readings have changed since, or what.

I did ask my Surgeon why he prefers pig valves to bovine, when the best data (which I found here) seems to indicate that the bovine valves last maybe 5 years longer. He said that they had done their own analysis (maybe published), which found the opposite. He told his assistant to e-mail it to me. She got my e-dress, but I haven't seen the study yet. I'm generally happy to go with Evidence Based Medicine, though I'm not keen to push my Surgeon out of his comfort zone!

Just wanted to check in, and thank you all for setting up, and contributing to, a great resource for people like me with tons of questions and worries and such.

BTW, I've been spending WAY too much time on another medical forum, www.achillesblog.com , where I'm also "normofthenorth". I'm counting on this OHS/AVR, and this forum, to help me break my addiction to that website!!

Another crossover between the Achilles and the BAVR: After I began walking again after the AT Rupture, I re-trained myself to ALWAYS hang onto the banister when walking on stairs, and ALWAYS use my arms when getting into (or out of) chairs or bed, etc., etc. NOW, I've read here that I should re-train myself to NEVER do those things, when my sternum is being held together with SS wires! EITHER I'll find it unusually EASY to make that adjustment, because I've already recently "changed that channel" -- OR I'll find it unusually HARD, because it's exactly the opposite of what I've just gotten used to! Not sure which yet.:D

You have certainly been more active than most 60-somethings!! This will stand you in good stead with the surgery and post surgery recovery.

My surgery was at age 66 and I eventually went with the bovine tissue valve after seriously considering the ON-X mechanical. So much so that I already had a tentative surgery date with another surgeon and hospital where they had more experience with the ON-X. After much deliberation I decided to stay with my original surgeon and his rcommendation of the bovine valve. So far I am very happy with my choices.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery and keep us posted as things develop. I was fairly fit before the surgery and my cardiologist suggested that I should "fly" through the surgery at my "young" age LOL! And so it transpired, I had very few bumps and none of them too serious. I sincerely wish you the same!

Hi Norm and Welcome.
Yes lifting yourself out of chair will be difficult, so will opening the fridge door after surgery.

Best of luck.

Hi Norm and Welcome. Happy you found us but sorry for the reason.
You will find being in such excellent physical condition will big rewards recovering from this surgery. I had two OHS in four years and just the fact I'm a walker was immensely helpful not only in going through the surgery but recovering.

Most of us here think the wait is the worst part of this whole experience.
BTW, I am a bovine valver. My surgeon preferred bovine to porcine. I did not want mechanical for the usual reasons and am very, very happy I made that choice.

Best wishes.

Welcome aboard Norm!
Once you get a new valve you will be better than new, and those 37-year-old volleyball players better watch out!
Best,
John

I, too wanted to add a warm welcome Norm from a fellow Canadian!
Glad that you found us (but sorry for the circumstances).
Sending you tons of positive vibes and good thoughts for a successful surgery.
Do keep us posted.

Last edited:
Hey, Norm and welcome!
I too was mostly asymptomatic until this year. Started having heart flutters after very light exertion and just feeling funky. My surgery will be in January, so good luck with yours in the meantime. Sounds like you are in optimal condition for the surgery.
I'm likely getting an On-X valve since I'm only 46 and do NOT want another surgery if I can help it. I've no issues with the coumadin, and we have a very practiced pro On-X surgeon here in the Atlanta area. Any valve type is a better choice than the one you've got now.
Good luck and welcome! Keep us posted.
Tracy

Thanks for the welcomes, good wishes, and tips, all! I hadn't even THOUGHT about the fridge door as a post-op "test"!

Quick Q for the post-op "experts": I know we sternotomy patients all have to be very gentle about using our arms post-op, but I'm curious about the relationship between "following the rules" and "listening to your body". I'm guessing that pulling too hard with my arms will immediately feel awful -- either painful or at least super-creepy. Is it a graduated thing, where lifting (say) a 2-pound object feels stressful, 5 pounds is somewhat painful, and 10 pounds is life-flashing-past-the-eyes? Or does everything feel perfectly normal until you go too far and do serious damage (then it hurts for a LONG time), or what? If it's anything like being 100% NON-weight bearing on crutches for a few weeks after an Achilles tear, I'm guessing that almost everybody has an occasional lapse, or slip, or scare. Yes, or were you all perfect patients post-op?

Lionheart, I don't really know if it's reasonable or foolish to even hope for being "better than new" (or even "good as new"), and going back to my former athletic intensity, etc. I've got a few miles to walk (slowly and carefully) before that decision arrives, anyway! Since I tore my left Achilles in early December, I've been a bit surprised how well I've gotten on, emotionally, without my beloved volleyball. True, I had a hectic schedule of sailing and sailboat racing all summer to distract me, but still. If this is the end of my volleyball "career", I think I'll be able to handle it -- better than I would have imagined just a year or two ago.

This week, I'm really missing bicycling, which I'd be doing almost every day except for the prohibition from yesterday's femoral (groin-entry) Angiogram. I guess I'll be missing that for a while after the surgery, as well.

Come on, didn't some of you "zipper" veterans experience pain from using your arms too much post-op? Which pattern did it follow?

Is it a graduated thing, where lifting (say) a 2-pound object feels stressful, 5 pounds is somewhat painful, and 10 pounds is life-flashing-past-the-eyes? Or does everything feel perfectly normal until you go too far and do serious damage (then it hurts for a LONG time), or what?

Norm, I think you are not getting responses because it is difficult to answer your question. I would go with the "your body will tell you" scenario. In my case, whenever I attempted to pick up something too heavy or reach too high, I felt a definite low level pinch of pain in my sternum and then I would desist. I once or twice instinctively (forgetfulness!) over-stepped the "no lifting and stretching" mark and experienced a very sharp pain which lingered on for a day or two.

During the first two or three weeks I could not get my jacket or shirt on without somebody helping me. Even pulling a T-shirt over my head involved a complicated manoeuvre. I remember the joyful day when I could reach with one hand behind my back and actually find the inside of the jacket arm without too much pain.

In the beginning I was very protective of my chest and was constantly aware of people standing or walking too close to me, in case they swung around and whacked me in the chest.

Come on, didn't some of you "zipper" veterans experience pain from using your arms too much post-op? Which pattern did it follow?

Is it a graduated thing, where lifting (say) a 2-pound object feels stressful, 5 pounds is somewhat painful, and 10 pounds is life-flashing-past-the-eyes? Or does everything feel perfectly normal until you go too far and do serious damage (then it hurts for a LONG time), or what?

I don't believe I tried to lift anything the first week. Even reaching and lifting a dinner plate from the cupboard quickly reminded me on what I had been through.
Everyone is different when recovering, but in general, your thoughts could be correct.

Directly postop a quart of milk was too heavy to lift and pushing down the handle on the toaster was impossible.
For some people this lasts only a couple of weeks, for me it was several weeks.
(I'm tiny and non-muscular at this point).

Norm I have a feeling that you will fair better than a lot of us have as you have out great demands on the upper body with the volleyball ....gee i hope I'm right.......if you use your arms to push up out of bed get in the habit now of doing that hands free (no a bluetooth won't cut it) and the same goes for chairs etc.. for a while you will only want to wear shirts that front fasten and you will probably want a comfortable cardigan.....think Bing Crosby but forget the pipe

waves to another fellow Canadian. Perhaps November is CATH month in Toronto ;). And just how many hospitals in Toronto do them?? At least 4 I think...

Another chair in the waiting room..remember to wave if we pass by in the hall.
No gurney racing though... :angel:

I lifted a big fat book about the Beatles about 5 weeks after my surgery, and it hurt like hell. It took a few days for the pain to subside. I needed help getting out of bed for a few weeks. And I finally began to feel - and look -like myself once I could lift the hair dryer over my head. Once I was back at work about 15 weeks after surgery, I lowered the top of the baby grand piano in my classroom (which is very heavy, even for someone who has not had a sternotomy), and it was quite painful. Now, a year post op, I don't think about my sternum much.

As they say, results may vary.

Thanks, folks, that's very helpful. And mostly reassuring -- in the sense that your pain or discomfort was generally instantaneous and "proportional", rather than lying in wait and then pouncing. Trying to avoid damaging a healing Achilles tendon (my most recent rehab) is more like the "lying in wait and then pouncing" thing. A smallish minority of people actually re-rupture their tendon. Some fall down on crutches or such and re-rupture, but others just over-do on exercises to rebuild their strength! Like, say, they feel OK for the first 4 heel raises -- or even the first 4 SETS! -- and then "POP!" they're back to square one! All the evidence indicates that staying immobile and "safe" does NOT produce good results, so you're kind of left walking a tightrope blindfolded!

Despite the obvious seriousness of this rehab compared to a healing Achilles, it sounds like I won't feel blindfolded about my healing sternum.

Skeptic49, I've lost track of most of the gradually deteriorating numbers from my BAV and my growing Aortic root. Here's what I've got: In three Cardiograms 2006-2008, the AV stenosis went from pressure 42 and cross-sectional area 1.0, to 46 and 1.0, then 52 and 0.8. That last reading may have been an outlier, but I think the area read 0.9 (cm2) several times since. I've seen a letter with AR measurements, from my cardiologist to my surgeon, but I didn't get a copy of it. It's clearly been growing some, but I think they're going to replace it (with Dacron) whether it's an imminent threat or not.

My Angiogram, 5-ish days ago, gave me a bunch of new numbers, which I mostly don't understand. Like these:
"Right Heart:
RA = 6
RV = 30/4/9
PA = 28/7
mean PA = 16 (with a horizontal line over the "1"?? maybe it's supposed to be over the whole "16"?)

PCW = 6 (confirmed)

Sats:
PCW = 95%
PA = 79%
RFA = 96%
C) - 5.9 L/min (fick)."

The prose on the Angio report says:
"1) Normal coronaries
2) Mod AR++
3) Dilated Root
4) Did not cross Aortic valve
5) Calcified Aortic Valve."

That's all I've got.

My only major uncertainty about the surgery is what's going to be done to my Mitral Valve. As I think I mentioned above, I was originally told (a year ago?) that my MV readings (mostly regurg, I think) were likely a side-effect of the AR stenosis and regurg, and would probably clear up if left alone, after the AR was replaced. But 10 days ago, the surgeon indicated that the choices seemed to range from repair to replacement, and the decision would be made while he was "up close and personal" with my heart.

I don't know if any of the numbers I've posted above help to inform that decision, but I expect that I'll be asking Dr. Feindel whether my readings changed significantly in the past year, or what else has changed his earlier opinion. I'm new to this, but. . . replacing a second valve -- and one that's not congenitally defective -- "just in case" doesn't seem quite as logical as replacing a growing Aortic Root that's statistically very likely to keep growing, does it?

My university pal who had AVR and a Dacron AR in 2009 told me that his fave thing about the Dacron AR was that, unlike the tissue AV, it's "guaranteed for life -- plus or minus a few minutes!" Cute, eh?

If anybody wants to help me understand those numbers, feel free. As I've mentioned, I was completely asymptomatic, feeling fine (and pretty active) until less than a month ago. Since then, I've experienced some shortness of breath, and a fair amount of "fluttery" feeling in my chest. Maybe a dozen or more times, I've noticed my heartbeat enough to stop and check my pulse. It's occasionally been elevated (maybe 120-ish, rarely higher), but most often it's down in the low 60s, where it often hangs out. (During the Angiogram, it slowly sank to 52, partly because I was watching the monitor and trying to "game" it down!)

Anybody else had a shock like this one?

Anybody else had a shock like this one?

I just got a shock on Saturday. Shopping for a bunch of skim milk, looking for the longest "best-before" dates, and found one with Dec. 1 -- my OHS date! It gave me a start. I wasn't psychologically prepared yet to be told that some fresh milk was going to last as long as my BAV!!:eek::rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back