it's raining in guangxi

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChouDoufu

hello everybody. things are going great, have unloaded most of my furniture
and appliances and have made enough for one year's rent in thighland.

only about a week left.....in normal places i could leave now, but this is china.
it takes time to prepare. like in, it takes days just to find bungee cords.
long story, i'll expain later.

hoping the weather will improve, but with this being monsoon season, i expect
i may get a little wet. for the latest on the flooding situation in guangxi
province, see here -->

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-07/05/content_8379325.htm

computer is sold, so am now using internet bars. yes, it's slow, cause this
here site blocks china ip addresses. can only access through circumventors.
china of course blocks those, and i'm down to one working proxy.

if they get me, i'll see y'all again in august, from sunny thighland.

BUNGEE CORDS CHOU???

I'm curious about this adventure NOW!!(LOL),but can't be what i'm imagining:D:p

zipper2(DEB)

the short story. they have only 6' long bungees. i bet if you measured the
circumference of japanese military truck inner tubes from the 30's, they'd be an
exact match......and now the size is traditional.

so they're used for holding furniture in the back of trucks. also used on motorcycle
racks, just wrapped about 20 times, using only a small portion. tried about 20 shops
looking for short bungees...bike shops, motorcycle shops, movers, hardware stores....
no luck.

i have a few from a prior life, took one in to the bike shop to ask...they say what's that?
it's a bungee cord! he asks...what's it for? and that's the bike shop manager.

ask at a store with 6' bungees where i can get shorter ones. they don't make them.
why i ask? because noone uses them. why don't people use them? he says.....
because they don't make them.

how strange. the country with the most bicycles has no way to strap
stuff onto the rear racks.

there is no hope for china. they just can't make connections, do engineering. they
can't take an item and modify it. just not traditional.

oh, and when i went to buy yogurt, the lady says straws are over there. that's ok, i
say, i don't need a straw. what! how can you eat yogurt without a straw?!!!!

idiots.

circumference of japanese military truck inner tubes from the 30's, they'd be an

so they're used for holding furniture in the back of trucks. also used on motorcycle
racks, just wrapped about 20 times, using only a small portion. tried about 20 shops
looking for short bungees...bike shops, motorcycle shops, movers, hardware stores....
no luck.

i have a few from a prior life, took one in to the bike shop to ask...they say what's that?

ask at a store with 6' bungees where i can get shorter ones. they don't make them.

there is no hope for china. they just can't make connections, do engineering. they

oh, and when i went to buy yogurt, the lady says straws are over there. that's ok, i

idiots.

My DH makes bungie cords all the time. Are you talking about the ones that look like rope wrapped in material with ends that look like round springs going around the cord then a hook (or the black rubber things?) if its the first is it possible to pry the spring off one and cut the cord to a size you need then put the spring end cap back on?

I never understood the whole chopstick thing. With all the inventions that originated in China I would have thought a fork would have came along at some point.

I just got back from the UK and would you believe they don't sell half&half ? not anywhere ? I realize its a trivial thing but all those cows and no half&half ? go figure.

I never understood the whole chopstick thing. With all the inventions that originated in China I would have thought a fork would have came along at some point.

I just got back from the UK and would you believe they don't sell half&half ? not anywhere ? I realize its a trivial thing but all those cows and no half&half ? go figure.

what inventions? sure.....paper (copied from egyptians or babylonians),
gunpowder (traditional medicine practicioner accidentally blows up patient),
and, and, and,,,,that's about it. nothing in the last, oh, 3000 years.

half and half? hard to find half a cow that still gives milk. half cow and
half bull....like a thai ladyboy? i wouldn't drink that......

and the bungees are long rubber strips, with pressed metal hook ends.
need a large press to refit if you open the clamp part and shorten.

did manage to find a bungee net at a motorcycle shop. one of the shops
that said, yes we have no babungees. once again, the chinese folks are
unable to make the connection....bungee cord to hold stuff on a rack could
be similar to a bungee net. nope, they don't get it.

and i don't get the chopstick thing either. they've seen forks. farmers
use pitchforks to clean the stables, they don't use long bamboo poles to
pick up the ploppings. but they are impressed i can use sticks. meet
someone and they ask how long in china....answer two or three years, next
question is always....can you use chopsticks?

i'm waiting to meet some chinese stateside one day.....hi, how long have
you been in the us? two years, really? can you use toilet paper?

oops, sorry bina.

maybe I was giving more credit than I should but I thought China was responsible for the compass, printing presses, and I thought paper money. Oh yeah, and those crazy acrobats who balance chairs and bowels on their heads.

I've tried chopsticks and my only hope is to use a pencil sharpener and then stab whatever it is Im trying to eat, so like a single prong fork !

If by your last reference your saying toilet paper isn't common Im both curious and also terrified to ask "what then do they use ?" Reminds me of a comic I once saw. Bear talking to a rabbit, bear asks rabbit "does sh*t stick to your fur ?" Rabbit says "no", Bear then proceeds to wipe his ass with the rabbit.

no luck.

idiots.

chou they did invent the toilet landing light,dont you think in
your experience living there,that thats :cool: device;) to have
Dont tell me they dont sell them either and you didnot have one on yours:p:D

zipper2(DEB)

well, the rain has stopped, at least for now. but according to the weather underground,
we have a little excitement heading this way. it's called tropical depression no.5
(sounds like a groovy pop song), and is scheduled to arrive here early Monday morning
at 3 am. just in time to soak the dirt road mountain passes before my 9am departure.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/wp200905.html

and then i cross into Yunnan province, parts of which are still recovering from
yesterday's earthquake. this can't get much better.

actually it can. had a run-in with a neighbor last night. he got a little excited,
and came at me with a meat cleaver. (would have preferred a june cleaver).
long story. some day will provide details. until then, bina will have to be
satisfied with squattie pictures.

Like I said earlier, scuba equipment-Check.

Meat cleaver huh, what did you do, show your package to his old lady or something? :D

more like mountain climbing gear. i'll be taking the old main road from yunnan to
guangxi (parallels the new "high-speed" 50 kmh expressway). the expressway is
90% bridges and tunnels. the old road is all switchbacks through peasant
villages. i know what i'm in for on this section, as i rode in the truck when moving
from kunming last year. and why did we take the old road instead of the expressway?
parts were closed due to flooding in the tunnels. scuba equipment -check.

no, i knocked on their door late at night. they were moving furniture and pounding
nails at 3:30 am. the three of them (husband, wife, brother in law) were yelling
and screaming about disturbing them! anyway, the mister did the chinese argument
thingy where they try to get their face within about 6" of yours and scream. reflexes
took over and i slapped him across the face, knocking him halfway across the room.

he's really confused, cause that ain't the way chinese play. guess i broke the rules.
he grabbed a cleaver and started waving it in my direction. thing is, (mainland)
chinese are abject cowards....less than half a dozen to one, no problem. instead of
running away, and letting him do the chihuahua yapyap at me, i took a step forward.
he then jumped behind his wife and continued to wave the cleaver.

i was laughing my butt off!!! if only i had enough dialect chinese, and he had enough
exposure to western films, i could have done the thunderdome...."two man go in, one
man come out." managed to explain to the brother in law that if little bobo wants to
rumble, we're on, but our western tradition requires one of the players to be left bloody
and mangled.

they suddenly realized they other pressing business to attend to. quiet business.

Latest posts

Back