Introduction

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Hi All,

Recently found this site while "googling" for some information on my upcoming OHS.This will be my second OHS as I have an ON-X in the mitrial position now (Sept 6th 2007) but unfortunately I have "sprung a leak" and must undergo surgery in early January 2010.
I wish I would have found this site back in 2007 prior to having my first surgery, at the time I was under the false impression I was the only person who was feeling like I did. In a strange way it is comforting to know others are understanding the emotions I am now experiencing.

Cheers
Johnny

Johnny,
Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear about your need for a reop. but best wishes on a fast and uneventful recovery.

Take care,
John

Hi Johnny, welcome to the site. Sorry about your re-op, but good luck with it. Youve found a great site.

Hi Johnny and welcome to you.

Are they replacing your valve or going to try to restitch it? I don't even know if that's an option..:confused:

Hang in here with us as you travel this latest journey to good health.

Hi John,

I know we spoke through PM, but wanted to publically wish you a warm welcome to this site. Don't be shy to ask any questions or voice any concerns. This is a great knowledgable and supportive group of individuals who are here for you.

Also, there are a number of members who have been through a second re-op who will hopefully be able to chime in.

As you know, the care at the Ottawa Heart Institute is amazing, you have an excellent surgeon and you will receive great care.
Wishing you all the very best,

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the site, and sorry to hear about your need for a second OHS. Hope everything goes well.

I'm curious, how did you or your doctor discover you'd 'sprung a leak?' Were you experiencing any symptoms, or did it show up on an echo or some other test?

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
The issue is not with the valve but the surrounding tissue. The first year after surgery went well, I exercised on a regular schedule, kept a healthy diet basically lived a healthy lifestyle. However I experienced shortness of breath and generally felt tired all the time, very low energy level.
After two TTE's my cardioligist determined I had a severe leak.It appears the tissue surrounding the valve has pulled away due to a bacteria or whatever else can go wrong, therefore the blood is gushing back and forth.
My Surgeon has yet to determine whether he will re-attach the existing valve or replace it.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Cheers
Johnny

Welcome Johnny
As you have discovered there is a whole lot of information and first hand knowledge on this site. You will see that there are people here that have been through most everything dealing with the heart and are willing to answer all of your questions or just be there for support.
I'm sorry to read about your leak. Hopefully the repair goes well and problem free.
Good Luck,
Kevin

Just wanted to say welcome to VR Johnny & I'm glad you found us.

It certainly does make a big difference to be among a group of people that know first hand the many emotions that you are experiencing right now.

We're here to support you & hopefully, make the wait a bit more bearable for you.

Wishing you the very best with your upcoming surgery in 2010. :)

Back