Introducing me

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotttnz

Hi, I'm Scott, and I'm new around here,so thought I'd introduce myself.

I live in Auckland, New Zealand. City of Sails, and vacated home of the Americas Cup. (And if they ever get out of court we might have a shot at getting it back!)

Anyway, I was born with a dodgy aortic valve, which was mildly restrictive when I was growing up. When I was 17 I had an aortic homograft done which was great, and terrible at the same time. It all went pretty well, but sure was traumatic at the time. Since then I have led a pretty normal life, and have been lucky that the homograft has lasted for over 19 years.

About 4 months ago I started developing shortness of breath and tireness etc, and after visits to the doctor, cardioligist, ultrasound, and angiogram learned last week that my valve is now severly constricted. So I'm now on the waiting list for a new valve. (I don't know about the rest of the world, but here no insurance company will cover someone born with a dodgy valve for anything to do with the heart, so I'm stuck with the public health system.)
My cardiologist does not expect me to be waiting long, 3 months at the most.

So, I've been lurking around learning what I can about valve selection etc, but I guess I need to wait untill I see my cardiologist again to find out what options are open to me in the New Zealand public health system. I'm leaning towards a mechanical valve, but don't know yet what types are available to me.

This site is great as it will help me know the right questions to ask!

Hi, Scott.
We've got another New Zealand member, who I believe resides in Aukland. Maybe they will stop by and give a shout out.
In the meantime, welcome to VR!:)

Welcome to our world Scott!

Since you are leaning towards a Mechanical Valve, you may be interested in the 'latest in technology' offered by On-X. See their websites at www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com

The St. Jude Master's Series valve holds the record for durability at 30 years and counting. See. www.sjm.com

That should help you wile away the hours as you await your surgery.

Welcome aboard Scott!

With 19 years under your belt it appears that you got maximum usage out of that homograph. Good for you. Please keep us informed about your upcoming surgery.
Take care,
John

Welcome Scott. We have at least one more Kiwi. Wow - 19 years on a homograft implanted in a 17 year old. That's terrific!

Welcome aboard. I didn't even know they were doing homografts 19 years ago!

Welcome aboard. I didn't even know they were doing homografts 19 years ago!

Sir Brian Barratt-Boyes from Greenlane Hospital in Auckland is recognised worldwide as one of the pioneers of aortic valve surgery. (He performed the worlds first aortic homograft in 1962) I don't know if he did my 1st AVR (But I'd like to find out!) but the techniques he developed saved my life.

http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/119-1232/1947/

Scott, you should look into Southern Cross - I took out an insurance policy with them and had to declare my pre-existing cardiac condition. At the time, it was stated that any cardiac treatment would not be covered, but then in about 2005 (I think) they changed the rules, and would cover some treatments even for those with pre-existing conditions, as long as the person had had the policy for 3 or more years.
That's how I got my mitral valve replacement partially covered by SC in 2006.
Of course, this advice is of little use to you now since you are high on the waiting list and probably will get your op pretty soon.
Just a thought for the future.
BTW, welcome from another Kiwi!

Welcome! "Dodgy" is so cute a word for this problem. You NZ's and Aussies! But seriously, it is what works for you...your age, your surgeon, opinions of those who have been there are all important considerations. Mine is St Jude, aortic, with sheath for reparation of aortic anuerysm. Almost a year out, I feel pretty good!

pretty much anything as long as it is mechanical

pretty much anything as long as it is mechanical

hi scott

my guess is the public system will be pretty much open to your choice of mechanical valve.

i had my operation at age 54 and both surgeon and cardiologist both flatly said a tissue valve was not an option because of my youth! so given your age of approx 36 yrs, i reckon you have stuff all chance of a tissue valve

anyway, i reckon mechanical valves are better!

i can echo bridgette's comments about southern cross, after i was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse and before the operation, i got a southern cross policy that covered ALL exisiting problems after a 3 year stand down. (i am happy to forward you full details if it helps.

as for the waiting list, the newspapers say the government has been throwing money into the heart op waiting list to get it down so you should not be waiting too long

i reckon you will feel better than ever post op; good luck mate!

westie

sir brian and how come?

sir brian and how come?

yes, scott, sir brian barrett-boyes was a world leader in heart surgery; almost certainly the very best in fact. i am always impressed how our little shakey isles always seem to have the best of everything.

sadly he died a few years ago shortly after his seventh open heart surgery! apparently he had heart problems for many years but always insisted his problems remain a secret.

how come you managed to see a cardiologist and have a echo cardiogram and an angiogram in 4 months? that seems super quick? (when i was diagnosed, the doctor told me i could easily wait a year to see a public hospital cardiologist. mate, i was so worked up i could not wait 10 minutes to get a diagnosis....so i went private)

did you go private for the tests or maybe your doctor told the hospital board you were in a bad way?

yes, scott, sir brian barrett-boyes was a world leader in heart surgery; almost certainly the very best in fact. i am always impressed how our little shakey isles always seem to have the best of everything.

sadly he died a few years ago shortly after his seventh open heart surgery! apparently he had heart problems for many years but always insisted his problems remain a secret.

how come you managed to see a cardiologist and have a echo cardiogram and an angiogram in 4 months? that seems super quick? (when i was diagnosed, the doctor told me i could easily wait a year to see a public hospital cardiologist. mate, i was so worked up i could not wait 10 minutes to get a diagnosis....so i went private)

did you go private for the tests or maybe your doctor told the hospital board you were in a bad way?

I paid to see a cardiologist privately initially. The same cardiologist also works in the public system, so was able to refer me to the public system for tests and I can keep seeing him publicly. (that is why my GP and I chose him.)

I'm at the point now where I want to just get on with it. I'm feeling really worn out, and the symptoms are starting to really impact my life and worry me. If I was told they are going to operate tomorrow I'd be really happy with that......right before I freaked out about it.

Welcome Scott. In my opinion, this forum is the best source of understandable information and support you will find. There are few questions that you can't get information and opinions about. Good luck:)

Latest posts

Back