Internal Bleeding Concerns

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as we're talking about bikes... What about motorcycles? I've just bought a small one to learn on, and if I like it, I could see myself getting a bigger one some day. So my question is - how much more at risk am I being on Warfarin on a motorcycle vs. a 'normal' person on a motorcycle? Knowing full-well that motorcycles are dangerous in general, anyone have thoughts about whether that danger is significantly more being on Warfarin?

Well now, if you drive a car, you answered your question.

Thank you Ross,

How long does it take to get things figured out? Andy, you're pretty new to Warfarin, have you had any issues staying in your INR range yet? I already know that if I'm having a difficult time I'll come here for insight.

After surgery, it shouldn't take more then 1 month to become stable. Everyone or nearly everyone, has inexperienced people managing them and until their doings are undone, you'll be all over the place. Of course, this is only if you have a nitwit manager. Some people do luck out and have excellent managers.

Ross, Last week I had breakfast with a guy from my neighborhood who had AVR surgery with my surgeon and hospital five years ago. He had a very positive experience and said the clinic he goes to for testing (he's not a home tester) is very good with INR. He's had some bad experiences with other docs but said this clinic gets it.

I'll be doing my testing there, so I hope to be one of the lucky ones.

Motorcycle?

Motorcycle?

If my wife would let me buy a Harley, I'd do it in a flash.

Sorry, I just don't buy into the idea that being on coumadin increases risk factors enough to create hesitation when it comes to doing things we enjoy. AVR surgery and coumadin use doesn't make me fragile. I don't break any easier now than I did before I received my valve implant.

-Philip:D

If my wife would let me buy a Harley, I'd do it in a flash.

Sorry, I just don't buy into the idea that being on coumadin increases risk factors enough to create hesitation when it comes to doing things we enjoy. AVR surgery and coumadin use doesn't make me fragile. I don't break any easier now than I did before I received my valve implant.

-Philip:D

Philip exactly! Those people that are saying that it affects their lifestyles are only limiting themselves. Not the drug. People are not Humpty Dumpty just because they're anticoagulated. There is no reason for anyone to stop enjoying the things they did before.

Ross, Last week I had breakfast with a guy from my neighborhood who had AVR surgery with my surgeon and hospital five years ago. He had a very positive experience and said the clinic he goes to for testing (he's not a home tester) is very good with INR. He's had some bad experiences with other docs but said this clinic gets it.

I'll be doing my testing there, so I hope to be one of the lucky ones.

Great. I hope it works out for you. I'm just saying that for most, it is really hard to find knowledgable managers that know what they're doing.

New Guy, I haven't had much problems at all staying in INR range, but then again I think I've had one of those excellent INR managers. She has anticipated very accurately the affect of going on and off other drugs would have on my INR and kept me between 1.7 and 2.7 the entire time I've been on it. Most of the time right around 2.2. And I had learned enough from her that I could have become a self-doser weeks ago. In fact, she'll make a recommendation and ask what I think about it, and in almost every case, it's EXACTLY what I would have recommended to myself. Depending on what you call stable, I've either been stable since the beginning (1.7 - 2.7) or I'm certainly stable now the last month or so (2.1-2.2). I think it probably also varies a little from person to person - some having an easier time than others. If you're on other drugs like I was that affect your INR (things like Metropolol, Amiodarone, antibiotics, etc.), that makes it a little trickier to figure it out at first, but it's still not rocket science. And the thing is, even if you go a little out of range, it's not a big deal, just make a little adjustment and it'll probably be fine next time. That's been my findings anyway, but I know others have had a harder time. Might also have something to do with my fairly consistent diet, but as Ross says, while diet affects INR, it doesn't affect it very much. Most of the things on the Vit. K list aren't significant enough to worry about, and the few that are (spinach, slimfast/ensure are a couple I'd normally eat once in a while) just require a little moderation.

Glad to hear the pro-motorcycle side of things! I think (as usual) Ross sums it up best - if you drive a car, you're also at risk of a head injury, so basically, don't stop living your life just 'cause you're on Coumadin. So I won't let it worry me too much, other than doing the things that are smart anyway (i.e. wearing a helmet).

Andy this bike has "You" written all over it!

Attachments

• 2010-Harley-Davidson-ElectraGlideUltraLimited-FLHTKb-small.jpg
    2010-Harley-Davidson-ElectraGlideUltraLimited-FLHTKb-small.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 71
You got that right! That's pretty similar to what I'll be looking for one of these days. But I've gotta get this one I just bought fixed so I can continue learning first... It's an old '78 Kawsaki 650 and a couple days after I bought it, I found out the charging system isn't working right, and it's hard to find places to work on it, so had to break out the Chiltons manual... Reminds me of working on my cars back in the '70's... Ughhhh - bad memories, esp. here in the winters in MN...

Thanks Andy,

It looks like no problem for you so far. I'm hoping for the same experience, but if not I won't panic. I'll just come here for advice and work through it.

Doug

You got that right! That's pretty similar to what I'll be looking for one of these days. But I've gotta get this one I just bought fixed so I can continue learning first... It's an old '78 Kawsaki 650 and a couple days after I bought it, I found out the charging system isn't working right, and it's hard to find places to work on it, so had to break out the Chiltons manual... Reminds me of working on my cars back in the '70's... Ughhhh - bad memories, esp. here in the winters in MN...

I'd rather work on cars from the 70's then the nightmares they call cars today! I know what you mean about winters. I remember spending time on my back in the snow working on them.

Almost eleven weeks post-op: I went for a bicycle ride today! 21 miles at about 15 mph average! What a gorgeous day.

Scott

Scott, very good news:thumbup:.....this OHS stuff ain't no walk in the park:rolleyes2:, but successful experiences like yours help the "newbies" a lot.....makes me tired just thinkin' about it:redface2:......but then, I'm "old", thanks to this surgery:biggrin2:.

On the topic of motorcycles, I asked my cardiologist what he thought about ACT and riding. He looked a little surprised and said, "with or without warfarin, if you crash that thing you're dead". I took that to mean I should get right back on it so the first thing I did when I got back to work was buy myself a new (to me) Ducati!

On the topic of motorcycles, I asked my cardiologist what he thought about ACT and riding. He looked a little surprised and said, "with or without warfarin, if you crash that thing you're dead". I took that to mean I should get right back on it so the first thing I did when I got back to work was buy myself a new (to me) Ducati!

Good for you! Now that is living!

Latest posts

Back