incision?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gribur

Hey all how goes it? I just noticed yesterday that my incision scar has changed a bit. It is still that nice rose color, but it was smooth before and now near the bottom of the scar, lowest part of sternum closest to stomach, i can feel bumps, i may be crazy but it almost feels like what i think the wire used on the sternum would feel like. anybody have this happen? just wondering why it would all of a sudden pop out like that, it is annoying me now.

It probably is a wire then. I couldn't notice any of mine for about 4 months, then the top wire just suddenly seemed to be there. Now I can notice a few more, although not near as bothersome. When I seen cardiologist late July and asked about getting them out, she seemed to think I was better off with them but got me a meeting with surgeon about a week ago.

He says I'm at no disadvatage without them and can take them out in about twenty minutes. Except he mentions putting me out and having me in the hospital for one or two nights. Off work for a week. From what I've heard of others here having them removed it would have been more like having teeth pulled and being awake, with local freezing and no hospital stay.

A hospital stay won't be that bad I guess if it means avoiding being awake. He originally mentioned two nights stay, when I expressed a bit of shock at needing a stay he rethought and wondered whether I would or not. Then mentioned it would be one night for sure anyway.

So if its a wire your feeling. The sooner you ask about getting them removed, the sooner it will happen. I first noticed in March, but waited until scheduled cardio meeting at end of July to ask. It'll be almost late October or later before it happens. Another OHS person near here from about the same surgery date as me had a wire actually break I guess and is getting his removed soon as well. I'm not sure I've heard of them breaking before.

i just looked and it is not keloid, it is just like my wire or whatever has surfaced and feels like a spiral.

chances are it is most likely a "dissolvible" stitch that didnt dissolve and is working its way out. Like Freddie said get it checked out, if it is a stitch they might just pull it or tell you to leave it alone and it will fall out.

I'm with Cooker -- a year and a half after surgery and mine is still evolving. Some of what you are noticing may be that the post-op swelling of the skin and surface tissue may be going down, allowing the true landscape of what's beneath the skin to show through. My scar is not even-textured top to bottom -- some areas are raised, and I suspect these are above the wires. It doesn't hurt or bother me, so I'm just leaving it be.

Latest posts

Back