I'm jumping in the pool! How's the water?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather Anne

I went to my cardiologist today and was surprised to learn that my relatively stable bicuspid aortic valve had deteriorated so precipitously since my last appointment that I am now a candidate for immediate, not-to-be-delayed surgery. (For you numbers geeks: pressure gradient 102, valve area .67 -- both dramatic changes from last year's 65/1.0). I was surprised because I continue to be asymptomatic, jogging 3-4 days a week and working out regularly at the gym, and in fact had sprinted four long blocks from the parking lodge to the appointment, in high heels no less, because I was late. With no ill effects.

My doctor told me not to do that again.

So, I meet with the surgeon next Friday, with surgery to follow posthaste. I'm in the weird situation of suddenly having to cancel everything I have planned for the next two months, including the five-mile hike I was supposed to do tomorrow. I'm sure it hasn't sunk in yet, because all I've done so far is drink most of a bottle of pinot noir and giggle about how I have the perfect excuse to get out of all the inane volunteer activities to which I'd recently overcommitted myself. But I've been a lurker here on these boards off and on for a year or so, and I'm happy to have this fantastic resource to help me cope with the inevitable panic and dread.

Some details about me, in case it helps: I will turn 48 in two days. I have two children, ages 15 and 14. I have a great husband who's immediately cancelling two business trips and a bunch of other random stuff to take care of me post-op. I used to be a lawyer, but now I'm in the midst of writing a novel, an endeavor for which I will now have much more time. I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve when I was five, but haven't had any trouble with it until....well, until today, at 3.42 PM, when my doctor told me I needed surgery.

But at least I've decided what valve I'm getting. I'm getting a tissue valve. Also, a pedicure and a haircut. Because a girl's got to look good, even with a chest tube.

I'll keep you updated as matters go forward, and look forward to hearing all your wisdom, even as I (hopefully) can reach a guiding hand to those who will follow me....!

Come on in Heather, the water is great!! However, in your case with no symptoms and this sudden change in numbers, you may want to consider a second opinion . . . I had an echo when I was 28 that showed that I was in deep s^&t with a valve area of 0.6 (can't remember the rest of the numbers) - I buried my head in the sand and refused to see a cardiologist for five years cos I FELT FINE.

Then when I saw another one my valve area was mysteriously 1.1!!!

Soooo . . . if I were you, I'd go see another cardio post-haste and get another echo. With your activity levels, you will know early when symptoms appear. Echo results can be wrong!

Best of luck from down under!!

Heather Anne, I commend your attitude. It is much like mine when I decided that it was time for surgery.

Your numbers sound like it is, in fact, time. As ski girl suggested another opinion and echo, I would not recommend against that -- but I would be surprised if the test results and cardio's recommendations were much different the second time. Yes, there is variation in echo's - between dates of tests and between different technicians and machines. That said, if one echo showed your valve to be 0.67 cm2 in area, I would not expect another echo to show a huge improvement. There just isn't that much variability.

I believe that you, like me (a 30-year jogger/gym rat), are asymptomatic because your heart has been able to compensate for its shortcomings. This is the natural beauty of the human body - it takes good care of itself. But, there are limits to how much your heart can compensate before damage is done. You need to have that valve replaced before any permanent damage is done. Now is probably a good time to do that, and it sounds like you're ready.

We wish you all the best on this epic journey. Visit often, ask all of your questions. None are off-limits, and the folks here are very open about sharing their personal experiences. We'll be here for you.

Great outlook and attitude Heather Anne. Your physical conditioning will no doubt help you through the surgery and recovery. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how much easier the recovery is when one is physically active. Good luck and wishing you the best.

Heather Anne: I contribute my body dealing well with the trauma of surgery because I walked 2 miles per day 6 to 7 days per week in the months leading up to surgery and lost 12 pounds. Your jogging and working out at the gym will undoubtedly contribute to your coming through surgery poised for a speedy recovery. If it wasn't for some non-heart related post-op complications I would have been home on my fourth day post-op.
Nine hours of complex OHS and I almost was home day 4 post-op. Good luck!:thumbup:

Sounds like you will have a good recovery if you are in good shape now, with no symptoms. For mine, I was out of the hospital in 4 days and walking several miles within a week. It's been 1.5 years since my AVR and two weeks ago I rode my bike to work route faster than I had for the last 3. Blessings to you.

Wow, thank you -- you are all amazing! I particularly like the stories about getting out of the hospital in four days and stomping all around town within a week! :) Because, while I'm looking forward to finally watching all five seasons of Mad Men, I really don't want to spend a whole lot of time sitting in the Barcalounger watching television and playing Words With Friends. (My Scrabble skills are undeniable, but still.)

Today is my 48th birthday, and I'm telling myself I'm getting a brand new heart valve as a gift. And, of course, it is a gift, because I would not see 49 if I didn't get one, and that's how I'm going to look at it, all while giving thanks to the cow who died so that I could live. After, hopefully, eating sweet, sweet grass for many happy years before becoming a wad of Niman Ranch beef and spare heart parts.

In the meantime, I've started the logistical preparations that attend wiping your calendar clean for two months. Like hiring a dog walker. Getting some short-term housecleaning help. Making the hair and pedicure appointments. Calling in all the carpool chits from all those moms whose kids I drove around when they had their babies. (Ha! -- Payback is a bitch, ladies!) If anyone can suggest something I might overlook, or that they wish they'd done in retrospect, I'd love to hear about it -- I'm not likely to think of everything on my own!

Have items (either kitchen, family room, bedroom) which you might need and are generally kept on high shelf, put in lower areas within your reach. One thing I found out on my own is that the fridge door is harder to open that you might think and gallon of milk weighs more than you think. Have heart pillow if hospital gives you one or a pillow that you have around the house within reach at all times. Those coughs and sneezes sometimes sneak up on you and you need to brace yourself if you can.

I think you are doing a positively wonderful job of preparing yourself. Just remember to not overdo even if you do feel great. And of course the usual suggestion, walk, walk, walk, nap when your body says you need to and eat a good diet. Best Wishes to you from a fellow bovine valver.

What an awesome attitude and a post. Heather, you will do really well. I know it!!

Also, when your dog walker walks your dog post-op feel free to join them for those walks as well. Matter of fact, they will be walking your dog and you ;)

You seem to be prepared, I would suggest practicing sitting down and getting up without using your hands for all sit-down and up experiences, bathroom included ;) This sort of practice will prevent the unneeded discofort when you forget and use your hands. In addition, opening the fridge and a gallon of milk were very good advices, I would add and say that heavy doors are also an issue for the first several weeks. I found it easier to use my legs for pushing all sorts of heavy doors when moving around malls, etc.

I found that transferring milk into pint or quart Rubbermaid containers was helpful. I am also riding in the back seat of Karen's CRV until I am able to drive again. You certainly do not want a healing sternum to get hit by an air-bag. Place a pillow between the shoulder seat belt and your body for added comfort. I also close car and other doors with my back, not with one of my arms. I have already walked 2 miles today and will do another after dinner. They take me 24 minutes. Pre-surgery time was 16 minutes.

Last edited:
Heather, my surgery date is May 23rd. Have to tell you this sight has helped me not to be so scared! Just ready to do it and get on with life! I personally, am getting an On-X valve. Good luck with all your pre and post surgery!

Welcome Heather, glad to hear such a great attitude about your up and coming AVR, I personally was a bit of a wreck to be honest. But with time and the help from these boards, things seemed to calm for me. I am currently 4.5 months out now, went to cardiac rehab in Jan, back to work for 28 days in Feb, back to rehab after that, and will finish next week. Boarding a plane next Friday for a couple weeks with my family in the Caribbean. Recovery has been good so far, for me the walking and cardio did the trick. Good luck with surgery and and recovery, will be looking forward to your future posts.

Welcome, Heather ... the water is AWESOME!

Great post, outlook & attitude. THAT, in itself, will help you tremendously! Thoughts/prayers en route as you move forward.

Cort | 39.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 2 MCs + '79 & '89 Caprice Classics
CHD.cars + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
OLD CARS, STRONG HEARTS = https://www.facebook.com/OldCarsStrongHearts
"Like a good book, I can't put this day back" __ Tori Amos __ 'A Sorta Fairytale'

Hi Heather,

You have the right perspective for certain. Attitude is everything. Imjust had mine, couple hiccups, but doing good. You sound like you have a wonderful support network and that means a lot! You'll do fine, best of luck!

Nate

Like everyone before me has said, you have a wonderful and positive attitude which is so very important when faced with surgery of this magnitude! I have no doubt that you will do just fine!

In the meantime, please know that we're here to support you through this, so if you have any questions, ask away!

Godspeed!

Okay, so now that I'm having to tell everyone I'm having open heart surgery, it's starting to sink in: I'm having open heart surgery!! Something about having to say to people, "I'm having open heart surgery" has that effect on a person, I think.

Since finding out about the surgery I've also gone from being completely asymptomatic to being a complete hypocardriac (if that's not a word, it should be): in the last four days, I think I've had about 6,437 symptoms. My nose is running -- it must be my heart! I can't hear you -- it must be my heart! The cat threw up in the dining room! -- it must be my heart!

Seriously, though, I have decided that the growing fatigue I've felt over the past six months, which I'd been blaming on menopausal lady-stuff, really must be my heart. Which is a good thing, because it means it will go away after I recover. But it is amazing how just knowing your aortic valve opening is smaller than a pencil can get inside your head, especially at night when you're trying to sleep and you can hear it sort of slurping around in there, sounding shifty and not to be trusted. Did any of you have that problem? Bottom line: I am truly glad I don't have to wait long to get it fixed.

Yes Heather Anne, out minds can compensate as our heart can for things that are going wrong. I blamed getting old and fat on my SOB and total fatigue. Well wrong, it was my totally calcified valve. Valve replaced and I'm not getting younger but I have my energy and spirit back. I try to think back to those times and it makes me glad that I took the leap into the water. You will feel sooooo much better after your valve gets replaced. Good Luck to you. You will do fine. And yes it was your heart that made the cat throw up (hehehehe)

Latest posts

Back