I'm a new member

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we all agree that the type of valve is best decided on in consultation with your surgeon. You have a choice between animal tissue and mechanical because of your age. My surgeon explained that my only option was animal tissue since I'm 71 (apparently the limit for mechanical is 70). The downside of animal tissue is that it only carries and "unwritten" warranty of 10-15 years and maybe I'll die of something else before I face another open heart procedure; however I've vowed to get an extension to my warranty with good clean living and all those healthy habits (e.g., lots of exercise) that we should have been doing all along. Whatever your choice, best wishes to you.

Welcome aboard and good luck with your choice. It is hard to advise others what to use. I was very hesitant and it was a torture...I kept changing my mind from tissue to mechanical and vise versa until three days before surgery all of a sudden I became sure in my heart and mind of what I wanted.

Good luck. :)

Welcome!

Welcome!

And as everyone has said so well, there is no right or wrong answer here. I chose a tissue valve (homograft) at age 48 and now I need another surgery at age 57. I have felt great for 9 years but believe me I am not looking forward to doing this again (September 11). At the moment I wish I had chosen mechanical 9 years ago. Now after I do, they will probably be doing tissue valve replacements percutaneously right and left. However, my cardiologist says he still feels that could be many years away.

Good luck in your decision. You will make the right one for you!

Bob

Bob - from what I've read - your cardiologist is probably right about percutaneous replacements as the Order of the Day being several years away. I think it's important for people choosing tissue today, to not count on their next one being percutaneous. If it turns out to be - that will be a happy surprise. But the trials are now being done on people who would not survive an open chest procedure so these people will not be putting these valves through exhaustive physical exercise. There will need to be many trials before it's ascertained if the valves planted percutaneously will hold up to the rigors in an otherwise healthy, active person. If you take a look at the tissue valves and mechanical valves implanted now, and compare them to the percutaneous valve - the latter looks very fragile in comparison.

Not to get off-topic - but here are photos of the 3 types of valves - mechanical, tissue and percutaneous.

St. Jude Mechanical (On-X looks similar)

Pat, you and I are wearing the same shoes. I meet my surgeon next Thursday and he expects me to choose then. My Father died at 78 of CHF caused by extensive arterial blockages of the normal kind. My GP suggested that I consider that despite my AVS, I have not lived my Father's life which included 45 years of smoking and a fat rich diet. She said that at 59 I should not be planning for another 20 years but for longer. My Great Aunt Clara lived to be 104. I feel the lure of the bio-prosthetics but I know that other problems can develop that can require anticoagulation. Then, there is my Uncle Bob with his St Jude valve that had to be replaced after only 16 years. You just cannot know what the future will bring. I have come to believe that I have to make my decision using the facts of the present. Also, why am I hiring the most expensive expert I will probably ever use if I don't listen to his recommendations next week? It is a dilemma, Pat, and in the long run there may not even be a "best" choice. So we look at our lives, take stock of our anxieties and make the choice that we can live with most comfortably tomorrow. It's a hard thing to choose but you and I have the luxury of being able to choose. I don't think we can let valve selection obscure the fact that either way we can look forward to years of life and better than what we have today. The valve is just a stepping stone to the future. Life is the goal.

Pat, at age 67 I still went with a St. Jude mechanical. I take only about 19 mg of warfarin weekly, sometimes 20 per Coumadin Clinic guidance, have not adjusted my lifestyle and do not hear a sound out of my valve. There are so many people on this site who are great at helping with the warfarin that it's almost a non-issue. But this is one choice where you have to make the final decision and all of us here agree that it is not an easy choice.

Good luck and have a smooth ride thru surgery. We'll be waiting to hear from you.

Midge

Wellcome Pat. This is a great site for support and information. Kim was right on. No one can tell you what valve to get, you can only weigh the pros and cons of each and also whether to get the tissue. I am 46 and chose St Jude mostly because of the track record and the fact that they make a valve with an attached sheath for repair of an aneurysm (which I also had.) Educate yourself as much as you care to. Let us know what you decide.

Welcome Pat! I was 55 when I got a mechanical St. Jude mitral valve. That was 6 years ago this week. The valve itself has functioned beautifully. I've had some issues with coumadin just because I've had other medical problems that complicates the issue. Even so, though it can be a nuisance, it certainly is doable. I was already in a-fib so the decision was a no brainer.
None of your options are bad ones so try not to stress too much. You can request what you want but in the end your surgeon will make the final call. I hope all goes well for you. God Bless you and keep you.

Pat i am also a new member. I am 42. On August 13th i had my aortic valve replaced due to an ascending aortic aneurysm that had "calcified" the valve to much to spare. I chose a mechanical valve. While i do not want to sway you in either direction I didnt want to have go through or put my family through another surgery in 10-15 years (maybe sooner). My doctor explained in detail about the effects of coumadin as have several others in this forum. I didn't worry about it after i was more informed. I am now at home 11 days post op doing great.
Pat

Since you are about my age, and it is now the 1 year of my OHS, I will add that I had a natural valve and could not be happier! I am very active, much more now after the new valve. And no medication or level monitoring is huge for me. The great staff at CCF assure me that in 20 -25 years, when they replace this valve, they will go through my leg, so the second operation is not a "looming menace", rather it allows me the greatest freedom for these next years of my life. Goodd luck in what ever road you choose, make sure you examine all options available, and not outdated hearsay.

keep smiling,

CJ

I don't know enough about either type to tell you much...but this: I had MVR on July 16, Mechanical.....and for me...the ticking sound is no small thing. I don't know for certain that I would have gone this route if I had known how really LOUD it would be. I did ask my surgeon if it would get better with time...and his answer was this: "I don't know if it gets better, but people tell me that it does...so either it grows quieter for you or you simply get use to it and don't notice it as much."

OK so I am waiting for that day to come....I have trouble sleeping because of the sound and because I have already gone into A-Fib once and I listen to make sure it isn't beating oddly. In normal everyday life....I don't hear it. But there is very few hours in the day that I am unaware of it.

Maybe it will get better! I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery! Just remember if we all here can do it...YOU can do it!

Mileena

hi pat,
hope it's not too late to welcome you and wish you all the best in your surgery.
my husband, joey, had a ross procedure done 8 years ago (this sept.20).
he was opposed to using coumadin.
my father, on the other hand, has been taking coumadin for over 15 years and has a st. judes that was put in back then and he is an avid golfer (76 Y.O).
valve choice, as you can see, is a very personal thing. just try to remember that there is NO wrong choice. any of the choices will save your life.
i think this is the hardest decision to make (valve choice). once you have decided this, the rest seems to fall into place.
we wish you all the luck and look forward to hearing from you when you get back home.
be well,
sylvia

Hi, Pat, I'm 59 and a few months ago I was in your shoes. Sorry, I have no easy answer because there isn't one. Simply put, you can live well with which ever type of valve you end up with. When you look at the "Big Picture" you will find there are issues with all of the different types. Statistics, however, do not really apply to individuals. They can only be used as guidelines not guarantees. But if you have learned a good deal about your options, you can play an active role when you speak with your surgeon and hear his recommendation. After all, you are hiring an expert and will want to hear his viewpoint before making your final choice.

Hi, Pat, I'm 59 and a few months ago I was in your shoes. Sorry, I have no easy answer because there isn't one. Simply put, you can live well with which ever type of valve you end up with. When you look at the "Big Picture" you will find there are issues with all of the different types. Statistics, however, do not really apply to individuals. They can only be used as guidelines not guarantees. But if you have learned a good deal about your options, you can play an active role when you speak with your surgeon and hear his recommendation. After all, you are hiring an expert and will want to hear his viewpoint before making your final choice.

http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?p=421735#post421735

Pat made her decision!:)

Pat,
I was the most skeptical about Coumadin...ask anyone. Still have to adjust it sometimes to get the "right" INR level. But I walk, jog, swim and do mostly whatever I want. I mean you wont see me juggling chainsaws but other than that...I feel pretty good. I am here. I am volunteering. I am enjoying my life. I am mechanical (St.Jude with dacron mesh for aortic aneurysm repair also).

I know it is scary not to know what or how to choose. Talk it over with your doctor. Has your doctor performed MANY AND MANY of these? Ask, talk, get your questions answered. Check it out wherever you can. Whatever your choice, it is YOU who has to be comfortable.

Latest posts

Back