I really hate it when...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debster913

For those of you who have A-Fib and are on warfarin, I'm sure you can relate to this!

I go to the local "Coumadin Clinic" to have my INR checked about every 3-4 weeks now that my level is well-managed. At 35 years old, I'm usually the youngest patient there.

The other day I went in to have my INR checked. The pharmacist, who isn't very personable, ran through his laundry list of questions that they ask every time I come in, one of which was: "Do you plan on having any dental or surgical procedures any time soon?" I said yes, that I am getting my teeth cleaned in about 3 weeks, and he said, "Fine, you should be OK on the Coumadin then."

Then I said, "But what about the antibiotics I will need to take before my cleaning?"

This is where it gets interesting:

He asked, "Why are you taking antibiotics before you get your teeth cleaned?" Now, let me mention that they have my medical history on the computer, that they know (or should know) that I have A-Fib because of valve surgery, and the rest of my heart-related issues, so I replied, "To prevent bacterial endocarditis."

He said, "Well, the AHA says you don't really need to take antibiotics before procedures anymore; they changed their guidelines." (Yes, as a local AHA volunteer myself, I know this.)

Then I said, "My cardiologist still considers me high-risk, and he still wants me to take the antibiotics."

He gave me a disbelieving look, and said he wasn't convinced that I would need antibiotics--he actually said, "There's nothing here on your chart that indicates that you have had a heart murmur or any heart surgery in the past," (though I told him that anyway, and besides, where do you think the A-Fib comes from?!) and that he would have to call my cardio or his NP to confirm, which he did as I sat there in his office. I actually heard my cardio's nurse say over the phone, "Of course she's had heart surgery to repair her valve!"

Now, I know everyone here has his/her opinions about taking antibiotics before dental procedures, but the real issue I have here is being talked down to like I'm some senile 90-year-old woman who doesn't know her rear end from a dollar bill.

Anyway, I can't do home INR testing because my insurance doesn't cover it, but I guess I just have to deal with the pharmas at the clinic.

What a pain in the rear. I also have been told to keep taking antibiotics before going to the dentist. OMG I have an appt today and I forgot!!! Hilarious. I have time to go over to Walgreens and get a refill. Seriously. If I hadn't read this post I wouldn't have been able to get my root canal done today. Thank you!!!!

Anyway - yes. you have to love people. Smile (or grimace) and ignore. When I was 8 I was in hospital to determine what metabolic disorder I had. I had bowed legs (still have) and they wanted to find the cause. A "lovely" nurse/teacher person who came to take all the kids to the school in the hospital asked me what I was in for. When I told her she smirked and said "they don't look that bad". What on Earth is an 8 year old supposed to say to that. Suffice to say it has stuck in my mind. Here I am 25 years later talking about her - evil cow!!!

Debi, sometimes you just have to bite your lip and "keep on keepin' on". I believe that the AHA has discontinured, or modified, their reccomendation of pre-appointment antibiotics for some dental procedures. Many dentists, mine included, still are more comfortable when I pre-medicate......me too. The normal dental antibiotic is mild and cheap and therefore "no big deal". I actually did not pre-medicate for about 20-25 years after my surgery. I have taken the anti-biotic for about 20 years and would, now, be uncomfortable not taken it.

After all that, I hope you made sure it was now in your file at the pharmacy. I would have told him "better safe than sorry" about taking the antibiotics.

Are there any Dedicated Coumadin Clinics in your area?

I LOVE the CRNP's at my Coumadin Clinic. They Really Know Their Stuff (and know that I know as well).

AFAIK, the AHA guidelines have dropped the pre-dentistry antibiotics for PRE-surgical patients, not for POST-surgical ones.

The evidence behind both recommendations (and the previous ones) continues to be weak and flaky and circumstantial, I think, but people feel very strongly about all of it -- because Bacterial Endocarditis can be so serious (esp. for us, post-op), but antibiotic resistance can also be so serious, and the link between B.E. and dental work seems to be weak, and the link between pre-dentistry antibiotics and benefits also seems to be weak.

Debi - I have no problems with my local anticoagulation clinic, but my first cardio tried to treat me like I was in my 80's when I was just 52. I fired his butt and found another. I know clinics aren't as common as cardio's, but is there another you can go to? Kind of like voting with your checkbook.

Latest posts

Back