I Know, I know........but...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddie

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Why am I getting such a big difference between the lab results and my monitor?

This morning before going to the lab (like I always do), I tested myself, result 2.8. Lab came back as 2.3 grrrrrrr

Tested myself again after getting the lab results, 2.7
I just tested my S/O with the result of 1.0, perfect, so it's not the machine.

But why such a big difference in the results?
A few weeks ago I was within .1 with the lab and I thought I had the hang of this.

I'm taking 5mg a day, 35mg/wk.
Here's the last few readings:
Oct. 1 Lab - 3.0 Monitor - 3.1
Oct. 15 lab - 3.4 Monitor 3.5
Now I did have a small can of V8 the night before this result:
Oct. 29 Lab - 2.3 Monitor - 2.6 asked to retest in one week due to the V8
TODAY Nov. 6 Lab 2.3 Monitor - 2.8 & 2.7

I know I've been told to trust the monitor and with me being a CHICKEN I haven't told my doc yet about the monitor. My doc is going to phone and tell me to up my dosage. Bare in mind, prior to this past spring I was very stable on 6mg a day, got on a roller coaster to find 5mg for the summer.
and now this. What is one to do?

This is getting rather frustrating since I read reports of other members getting the same result with their monitor and the lab they use.

Sorry for me venting, seems I've been doing it a lot recently.

Bina, that's my point. My readings have never been the same as the lab - that's what is frustrating.

The doc hasn't called about the 2.3.....yet, but the doc will suggest to do a dosage increase.

Perhaps it's time for me to bite the bullet and tell my doc about the monitor :eek::(:confused:

Why am I getting such a big difference between the lab results and my monitor?

This morning before going to the lab (like I always do), I tested myself, result 2.8. Lab came back as 2.3 grrrrrrr

Tested myself again after getting the lab results, 2.7
I just tested my S/O with the result of 1.0, perfect, so it's not the machine.

But why such a big difference in the results?
A few weeks ago I was within .1 with the lab and I thought I had the hang of this.

I'm taking 5mg a day, 35mg/wk.
Here's the last few readings:
Oct. 1 Lab - 3.0 Monitor - 3.1
Oct. 15 lab - 3.4 Monitor 3.5
Now I did have a small can of V8 the night before this result:
Oct. 29 Lab - 2.3 Monitor - 2.6 asked to retest in one week due to the V8
TODAY Nov. 6 Lab 2.3 Monitor - 2.8 & 2.7

I know I've been told to trust the monitor and with me being a CHICKEN I haven't told my doc yet about the monitor. My doc is going to phone and tell me to up my dosage. Bare in mind, prior to this past spring I was very stable on 6mg a day, got on a roller coaster to find 5mg for the summer.
and now this. What is one to do?

This is getting rather frustrating since I read reports of other members getting the same result with their monitor and the lab they use.

Sorry for me venting, seems I've been doing it a lot recently.

Why are you not trusting your machine Freddie? Why get all upset and confused by going to the lab? You must know that the results will seldom be the same and usually be slightly different. The difference you encountered this time with the lab and your machine is insignificant. Nothing to worry about or to get upset about. Chill out!
Once I had my Protime (1/2001) I NEVER went back to the lab and I have trusted my Protime machine ever since.

I'm SO LUCKY that my doctor is laid back, cuz before I got my monitor I was a nervous wreck and I drove us all crazy. LOL
Freddie, can I call your doctor for you?++++ It might not be pretty ++++ hee hee

Christina, I'd have more faith in my machine if the results I was getting were closer to each other. I'd except a .2 difference but .5 difference is a little much and yes it is significant.
I would "Chill out" if my doctor would except the home monitor - my doc doesn't know I have one and I was hoping to compare results so I could have evidence to show my doc that home monitors are reliable.

Bina, that's my point. My readings have never been the same as the lab - that's what is frustrating.

The doc hasn't called about the 2.3.....yet, but the doc will suggest to do a dosage increase.

Perhaps it's time for me to bite the bullet and tell my doc about the monitor :eek::(:confused:

Just say ahaa, yes and okay to your doctor when he calls and than you do what you think is best. How is he going to know? In the beginning I couldn't listen to my (at the time, he was fired later) doctor because he wouldv'e screwed it all up because I sensed he didn't know a thing about managing Coumadin patients. I just had my 2nd surgery during that time and I certainly didn't want to have my chest openend again so I did what I thought was best but didn't listen to him. I learned fast though. That is now 9 years ago. I received my monitor in January 2001 and I haven't gone back to the lab once.

Christina, I'd have more faith in my machine if the results I was getting were closer to each other. I'd except a .2 difference but .5 difference is a little much and yes it is significant.
I would "Chill out" if my doctor would except the home monitor - my doc doesn't know I have one and I was hoping to compare results so I could have evidence to show my doc that home monitors are reliable.

Freddie.. as I mentioned before, your machine will seldom come up with the same results as the lab and a .5 difference is really not bad at all. Ask Ross, he'll agree with me. I would advise you to "chill out" don't worry so much and relax. You're going to be okay, I promise.:D

My doc will simply know by telling me to go for a retest next week, my doc and that office is on top of things. And up here in Canada it's very hard to find another GP if my doc decides to drop me as a patient, so I'm treading in very thin water.

Bina, another good thought, but we're at a dead end. We cannot agree on anything.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm happy with 2.8, just wish the lab came back with at least an 2.6.

Lab Results

Lab Results

Odds are pretty good that if you had a lab test done, waited an hour and had the same lab run the same test the results would be different. I can say this because this has been my experience. The difference has been even greater when I've had tests done at different labs within an hour or two of each other.

There are lots of variables that impact the results of lab tests. Last June, I ran into issues with conflicting lab results after being involved in a hit & run accident. I had tested my INR in the morning before the accident so I knew what my number was. I was in range.

The first ER I landed in after the accident ran an INR test which indicated similar results as my home test. I was transferred to a different ER in a nearby town and another INR test was ran. This second lab test result indicated that I was extremely out of range on the high side. The results were so high that the ER doctor wanted to admit me to the hospital.

When the ER doctor told me the results of this test, I informed him that the test results were wrong and told him they needed to run the test again. He ordered another test and the results came back with similar results as my home test and the lab test ran in the first ER. According to my wife, this ER doctor was quite upset that I was right about the error in the lab results.

Worrying about differences between your home tests and the results a lab produces will make you crazy. It's not worth the worry. Why home test if you're not going to trust your monitor? Be happy that all of the tests indicate you're within range and worry about something worth worrying about.

-Philip

"Be happy that all of the tests indicate you're within range and worry about something worth worrying about."

Thanks Philip, you put a smile on my face :)

So, I should worry about losing my present GP then right?

Not to say I'm not worried, just a tad frustrated that my test results aren't closer together, that's all.

Worries

Worries

Soooo...be frustrated about something worth being frustrated about. The odds of your home testing results matching lab test results are pretty slim.

I asked questions about the differences I was getting with my home tests vs. the lab tests I was still having done when I began home testing. It's probably normal to believe that the tests should validate each other until you really find out how variable the results from lab testing can be.

You're in range and that's really all that should matter. Relax.

-Philip

Freddie, I can't help you out here.. I'm currently looking into getting my own home monitor, and if my results weren't the same or closely remote I would say something to. I don't blame you for asking other members if their results are different from the lab.. My INR should be between 2.5-3.5 and it looks like you had a result from your hospital Lab that was out of range, where your home results are in range. This would frustrate me!

Unless you test at exactly the same time they take your blood at the lab and they run their test immediately, your going to have a variance. INR varies from minute to minute, which is why, if you test twice back to back, you won't likely get the same reading.

Like everyone is saying, your in range, so don't worry about it. Some day your going to learn to trust yourself and your machine, and stop relying on that less then educated doctor of yours.

V8 has so little vit k in that you'd have to drink a gallon of it to make much of a difference on INR. One little can ain't gonna do it. Your talking to a bloody mary man that uses V8 a lot and it's not affecting mine at all. There is 0.2mcg of Vit K in 8 ounces of V8.

Latest posts

Back