I have a date for my AV replacement surgery!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLDLADY

Cleveland Clinic has confirmed Oct. 19/2011 for my surgery. When I was first told I needed an AV replacement I was filled with anxiety. All the info I was handed was so new and yet the Cardio wanted me to jump right into making plans for the surgery. After several days I started to try to learn and while scouring the internet and I found this site. What a great site. Since reading others experiences I have become calmer and feel better prepared. Of course as the days slip by my anxiety level will probably rise as well. This is something I must do so I might as well deal with it in a positive manner.( 0.8 & 66 mean gradient) Also after the cath it was suggested I might consider Mitral valve repair as well. I guess the surgeon will discuss this at preop. My surgeon will be Dr. Gosta Pettersson (if nothing changes) has anyone had him? I got a new Cardio and then decided on Cleveland Clinic partially because my dad did not make it through his replacement back in 1991.

Good luck OLDLADY I'm sure you'll breeze through, think of it as an adventure. And focus on how much better you are going to feel moving foreward instead of standing still.

Hey Oldlady - Your anxiety level may not rise as you expect! Many of us sort of expected that, but as the time drew near and we had made all of the critical decisions and preparations, we became almost surrealistically calm. I know I did -- I just got with the plan and cruised through the whole process just fine. Don't plan on high anxiety. Just know that help is available if it happens. Don't be afraid to ask your cardio or GP for meds to control it if it poses a problem but, as I said, many of us became really calm and just did it. . .

Anyway, best of luck to you. You'll do fine. We'll be here for you, too.

Your anxiety level may not rise as you expect! Many of us sort of expected that, but as the time drew near and we had made all of the critical decisions and preparations, we became almost surrealistically calm. I know I did -- I just got with the plan and cruised through the whole process just fine.

I had the exact same experience...couldn't agree more.

Hi, and welcome to VR. I have to agree with Steve. I found that as I approached surgery my anxiety level dropped and by the day of the AVR I was feeling very calm and ready.

You didn't mention your age but I thought I might mention that one of the members of my cardiac rehab group was in her mid 80s when she had her valve replacement. She started out a little slower in Rehab but quickly caught up with those of us much younger. By the end of our 12 weeks, she told us she never expected to be active again and was celebrating with a trip to Hawaii. Let us know how we can help.

Larry

I love your username!
I think you will do well at Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Pettersson. He comes highly recommended!
You might get more anxious, but you really have no choice in the matter, so I think you will reach a point where you are anxious to get the surgery over and done with.
Best wishes and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Thanks for the replys. I am 58yo and the mother of eight. I was told in 1977 I had a murmur but no Doc ever told me to get it checked out. I had an episode of Afib that took me to the ER and after a follow up with Cardio, well here I am. I had a back injury in 06' which left me unable to work or do much of anything really. So I had experienced some SOB on exertion but with back pain and pushing myself to walk I would get that. I have had swelling in my feet and legs for years and was told it was attributed to varicose veins and lymph disease of left leg. I am hoping the surgery will be smooth sailing but I am concerned about the heart acting up after the surgery. I hate it when it gets all funky. And, the thought of the vent puts me on edge as I am extremely claustraphobic and don't like anything around my face or holding me down. Anyone have trouble with that? Counting the days!

Many who thought the vent was going to be the worst ended up not really having an issue with it. In the end we just have to wait an see how you deal with it. Hopefully you don't really remember it, I didn't for the most part. As far as the heart acting up after surgery, I truly wasn't too concerned about that, but now I ended getting a pacemaker and just when it felt like the funky heart rhythms were disappearing 6 weeks post op they have paid me some visits the past 2 days. Of course I've pushed through them but it can be depressing, tiring, frustrating when experiencing these hiccups. I just wanted to post to let you know I feel your pain and your not alone.

Back