Hypertensive/Vertigo/Dizziness

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hey Guys/Gals,

I've had this feeling a few times in the past year. Which my doctor has always assumed was me being hypotensive (low blood pressure). Yesterday I got vertigo (the room was spinning like I drank 5 bottles of wine). That that occurred when I was laying flat on the couch. So I decided to call my doctor & was told stop your blood pressure meds & take your blood pressure & call him tomorrow (today). So I got a stupid little home monitor (i'm a paramedic so I hate the things). Turns out I was hypertensive 160 systolic 60 diastolic (hours after the spell of vertigo). That was my pressure still on my medication (I take 25mg correg every 12 hours). So I elected to not miss my dose and call him today. Well here we go again, I'm feelin like junk - My pressure is up 170 systolic & I'm dizzy again.... and awaiting his return call.

I have a BAV which is moderate-sever & High blood pressure. Which we are playing the waiting game.

Any thoughts? I'm semi-fearful that this is my body saying its go time. But my echo in November was the same as always. That they are waiting for some symptoms/my left vertical to dilate.

Last edited:
hey Joe,

This sounds more like Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)), rather than orthostatic hypotension or something cardiac related. But you definitely should go in to see your doctor to be sure. If its BPPV there are simple exercises to cure it which your doctor can do in the office.

Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I went back and read your first post to refresh my memory before replying.

Did you call your family doc or the cardiologist?

How often are you being seen in the office? 6 months or a year?

Once things start to go downhill, the pace quickens. I would make sure the cardiologist is aware of what's going on, and make sure he has a reasonable explanation that excludes the valve as the cause, before I would drop it.

I've had my share of vertigo episodes too.....lasting sometimes months.....I never checked my bp through it though....I was diagnosed bppv......turned out a great chiropractor fixed me for good....I recommend it over physical therapy.....I got quicker...easier results.

I've had my share of vertigo episodes too.....lasting sometimes months.....I never checked my bp through it though....I was diagnosed bppv......turned out a great chiropractor fixed me for good....I recommend it over physical therapy.....I got quicker...easier results.

Something you can actually do at home for BPPV the "Epley Maneuver". This is what is done in the physician, PT, or chiropractor's office.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqokxZRbJfw

If done a couple of times, you can usually fix the BPPV on your own. If this doesn't cure your vertigo, then either you did it wrong, or you've got something else going on. Either way see your primary or cardiologist to rule out any cardiac or central nervous system cause of the dizziness/vertigo.

Good luck.

I went back and read your first post to refresh my memory before replying.

Did you call your family doc or the cardiologist?

How often are you being seen in the office? 6 months or a year?

Once things start to go downhill, the pace quickens. I would make sure the cardiologist is aware of what's going on, and make sure he has a reasonable explanation that excludes the valve as the cause, before I would drop it.

I called my cardiologist - I get seen for my echo every year.

I think the major concern is why am I so hypertensive on 25mg of correg (which is the max dose). And is the contributing to my dizziness? Is it a sign of valve problems?

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I called my cardiologist - I get seen for my echo every year.

I think the major concern is why am I so hypertensive on 25mg of correg (which is the max dose). And is the contributing to my dizziness? Is it a sign of valve problems?

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Joe, how is your BP when you're not having these dizzy spells?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Joe - I haven't had this happen, but relatives have had the situation where a medication for hypertension that they've been taking with good results, suddenly loses its effectiveness. Their cardios changed to alternate types of meds and the BP went back down. Never did figure out why the first one just gave up.

Hey Guys,

I went out and saw my cardiologist, and he prescribed an additional blood pressure med. He also wanted a recheck on my valve - so on June 1st I'm scheduled to get a echo done at Stanford, and on the 7th I will speak with my other cardiologist at Stanford. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks again for the replying.

Joe

Latest posts

Back