How to make yogurt

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbone

Put the milk in a double boiler and cooked it till there is a skin on top & approx 180 degrees. When to milk cools to 105-110 degrees add a culture (any plain yogurt) to it. Cover the pot & let it set out at room temp till the next day, then refrigerate.

That is how you make yogurt. When you add the culture if you like it sweeter than milk than add a little sugar. This is also when you add the flavorings. DO NOT ADD THE FRUIT AT THIS TIME.

You can serve this over fruit, or eat plain.

Make as much or as little as you like. The more milk you boil the more culture you put in. 3 Tbsp. per 1/2 gal.

When you are getting low on your yogurt supply than boil more milk & use your last batch as your culture.

and all this time I thought yogurt came from the grocery store! TBone, if I'm ever in Ohio, I'm stopping by your house. You better be ready to feed me!

T-Bone,

When I was a child, my mom made yogurt at home and it was so good--not any brand tastes as good as hers...very close to your method. You brought good old memories back.

I make yogurt 3 or 4 times a week (I use a cheap Salton machine). I love the stuff.

I'm addicted to straining it too. I just dump it into a sieve lined with a coffee filter and leave it in the fridge to let the whey drain out. Overnight will give a creamy, thick consistency but I leave mine for 24 hours - that is so yummy with fresh fruit.

I use it in place of sour cream too.

Any ideas on making fat-free yogurt?

I wonder if you can just use 1% milk?
I want to try it too,I didn't know you could use the culture from yogurt
I thought you had to by the culture like you do with yeast:rolleyes::eek:

Any ideas on making fat-free yogurt?

I only make fat free yogurt.

My trusty cheap Salton machine requires 4 cups milk (I use organic fat free), 1/2 cup fat free milk powder and 1/2 cup yogurt (from the previous batch).

I make yogurt 3 or 4 times a week (I use a cheap Salton machine). I love the stuff.

I'm addicted to straining it too. I just dump it into a sieve lined with a coffee filter and leave it in the fridge to let the whey drain out. Overnight will give a creamy, thick consistency but I leave mine for 24 hours - that is so yummy with fresh fruit.

I use it in place of sour cream too.

If you put yogurt in cheesecloth & hang it in your fridge for 36 hrs it becomes cream cheese. You must put a pan under it to catch the moisture that leaches out of it. :rolleyes:

I wonder if you can just use 1% milk?
I want to try it too,I didn't know you could use the culture from yogurt
I thought you had to by the culture like you do with yeast:rolleyes::eek:

Yes you can use 1% milk. When I use whole milk their is a thicker skin on top of the boiled pot. This is all the fat coming out of it.

Corrine,

Have you tried to make frozen yogurt with your machine? and how did it come out, if you did!?

I haven't tried to freeze the yogurt Eva. I just have a Salton 1-quart yogurt maker. I'd need to buy an ice cream maker for that but I don't like frozen yogurt much anyway.

The only recipes I can find require sugar (which I avoid). This is a recipe a friend of my makes regularly - http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/a-frozen-yogurt-recipe-to-rival-pinkberrys-recipe.html :

3 cups (720g) strained yogurt (see below) or Greek-style yogurt
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Mix together the yogurt, sugar, and vanilla (if using). Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
To make 1 cup (240g) of strained yogurt, line a mesh strainer with a few layers of cheese cloth. then scrape 16 ounces or 2 cups (480g) of plain whole-milk yogurt into the cheesecloth. Gather the ends and fold them over the yogurt, then refrigerate for at least 6 hours. So, for the above recipe start with and strain 6 cups of yogurt.
Makes about 1 quart.

We buy only fat-free milk, no 1%, 2% or whole milk. I would like to get one of those small sorbet/ice cream makers; can you also make yogurt with one?

You cannot make yogurt with an Ice cream/ sorbet maker. You need to start your culture at 105 - 110 degrees. It needs to (allow culture to do it's job) thicken at room temp.

You can however take the yogurt after the culture does it's work (24 hrs) and run it through the ice cream/ sorbet machine for frozen yogurt. Also, when you make the frozen yogurt you can add the fruit before turning the machine on. I do stress however to check your owners manual, as all machines are different. :D

I haven't tried to freeze the yogurt Eva. I just have a Salton 1-quart yogurt maker. I'd need to buy an ice cream maker for that but I don't like frozen yogurt much anyway.

The only recipes I can find require sugar (which I avoid). This is a recipe a friend of my makes regularly - http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/a-frozen-yogurt-recipe-to-rival-pinkberrys-recipe.html :

Thanks, Corrine. When I looked up 'Salton yogurt maker' it was mentioned to use it for Frozen Yogurt too! unless they mean to sell another machine?!:confused:

I think this is easier than the double boiler and no need to check temp.

Latest posts

Back