How Soon Can I Wear My Med Alert Necklace or Any Necklace After Surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I'm 19 days post op from aortic valve replacement and 12 days post from pacemaker implant and I have just got my Med Alert Dog Tag in the mail today. All sterling silver. I was wondering how long I should wait before wearing it. I want to make sure I don't do any damage to my healing incision.

How long did any of you wait before wearing your Med Alert or any necklace after surgery? My incision is healing well and my doctors all say it looks great but I didn't ask them about when I can where a necklace. Thanks! :thumbup:

are you sure it is S S which would indicate 999 fine silver and that could lead to issues eg black residue from oxidation on the skin ......to be sure contact Medical Alert directly and ask ....my dog tag is stainless steel and my bracelet is as well ..... Incisions are often closed with stainless steel staples

Well, Julian, I'm almost 6 months post-op and still waiting to get one. I have held off until I see just where my meds and other conditions stabilize, then I'll order one. I, too, think the dog tag makes good sense, for a guy at least.

Of course there is also the concern voiced by some that first responders may not pay any attention to bracelets or dog tags, but one must do what one can. . .

Well, Julian, I'm almost 6 months post-op and still waiting to get one. I have held off until I see just where my meds and other conditions stabilize, then I'll order one. I, too, think the dog tag makes good sense, for a guy at least.

Of course there is also the concern voiced by some that first responders may not pay any attention to bracelets or dog tags, but one must do what one can. . .

Look for the original "MedicAlert" foundation brand as that can be updated online at any time ...it was vital that I get one early on with the ICD and radical sternectomy CPR could have been fatal for me if done wrong and not modified compressions

Last edited:
are you sure it is S S which would indicate 999 fine silver and that could lead to issues eg black residue from oxidation on the skin ......to be sure contact Medical Alert directly and ask ....my dog tag is stainless steel and my bracelet is as well ..... Incisions are often closed with stainless steel staples

Oh geez, the reason I got sterling silver is because I didn't want issues. The freakin' thing cost $160 I could of spent way less on stainless steel. FUBAR! I was reading that some people have an allergic reaction to the small amount of nickle that is added as a filling.

Oh geez, the reason I got sterling silver is because I didn't want issues. The freakin' thing cost $160 I could of spent way less on stainless steel. FUBAR! I was reading that some people have an allergic reaction to the small amount of nickle that is added as a filling.

I wouldn't worry, most if not all medic alerts SS is Sterling Silver with Rhodium coating. The Rhodium doesn't tarnish and protects you from the nickle or whatever might be in the sterling silver people are allergic to. Justin had his Sterling medic alert for a little over 6 years and it never tarnished, and that was during the time he played alot of sports sweated alot etc.

BTW I think once your incision is healed over, any scabs are gone it would be fine to try and see if it bothers you.

Last edited:
I love sterling silver -- have 2 rather extensive collections of flatware. So I started my search for a medical alert bracelet with a trip to a locally owned jewelry store and to the James Avery jewelry stores. When I saw the prices for a sterling silver medallion (less the cost of the chain), my heart was broken (NO PUN INTENDED!) and I changed gears. I went to Walmart and got a very cheap stainless steel dog tag with chain and had it engraved at a store in a mall. It was OK, but I don't like dog tags.
Several months later I discovered Medic-Alert and got a watch-like bracelet. Love it. Have had it almost 8 years. I like having a phone number on the medallion that a medical provider can call to get my doctors' phone numbers, family contact numbers, insurance policy #, etc. Couldn't do it with the Walmart dog tag.

I wouldn't worry, most if not all medic alerts SS is Sterling Silver with Rhodium coating. The Rhodium doesn't tarnish and protects you from the nickle or whatever might be in the sterling silver people are allergic to. Justin had his Sterling medic alert for a little over 6 years and it never tarnished, and that was during the time he played alot of sports sweated alot etc.

BTW I think once your incision is healed over, any scabs are gone it would be fine to try and see if it bothers you.

Agreeing with Lyn. Here in Canada I ordered my sterling silver bracelet from Medic Alert and it did indeed have a clear
protective coating on it and never gave me a rash.

I decided to splash out when I got my MedicAlert bracelet and went for the gold one.

I take part in simulated major incidents from time to time as a simulated casualty and when I was taken to the Accident and Emergency Department of our hospital during one exercise my bracelet was checked about six times (I was supposed to be unconscious). Also on another training exercise a paramedic saw my bracelet and asked the instructor whether it was part of the exercise or for real. They do get noticed.

I just ordered my medical alert bracelet, stainless steel. When I was in the proccess of filling out the online order I was talking to a EMT friend on facebook and she said that they definately DO look for the medic alet tags. She also said they hope that the patient has a wallet card (indicated on the tag) that includes thier medications. She wished everyone had a medication list card in thier wallet. So, on my tag I had inscribed "wallet med list" as well as my other required info.

I called my surgeon this morning and they said I can wear my necklace as soon as it feels comfortable and doesn't bother the incision since I'm 3 weeks post op. I wore it all day today and it feels fine so...

Julian - Just be careful when bending over counters, etc., as the tag may become "trapped" between the immovable object and your incision. That could hurt for a few minutes. . .

Latest posts

Back