how long did you wait between cardio saying "it's time" and setting surgery date?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you are figuring this all out. I love Florence, it is one of my favorite cities in the world. How lucky that you get to live there. My 16 year old daughter will actually be there for her first time for 5 days starting next Tuesday, then she is on to Cortona and finally Milan on a school trip. I think I might sneak into her suitcase.

Keep us posted.

Kim

HI! I am a new member but thought I'd share my thoughts with you. I heard "the news" that I needed the surgery in March. I've known for awhile that this was coming for me so I'm ready to just go get it done. I've had to get the TEE, cardiac CT scan done and now a cath is scheduled for July 13th. My surgeon is out of the country most of July so I got on the list for the first week of August. If you are certain that you need it done (as I am) why wait? In my case, I didn't want to run the risk of not repairing and needing it replaced and possibly do some irrepairable damage to my heart. My 2 brothers waited too long and had their valves replaced. They are both doing well but I'd rather go for a repair. Good luck!

Thought I would toss in my two cents worth. They did an echo at work on Sept 27th 07, saw cardio Doc same day, also did an echo. Next day a nuke stress. Saw the surgeon on Oct 9th, and was operated on the 12th. I wasted no time, or I should say, they wasted no time.

I was told in April 08 and had surgery in September. My surgeon wanted me to have it earlier, but I was not ready neither mentally nor emotionally. I was glad I did not postpone longer than September as my valves, as Al mentioned, were worse than what echo revealed.

Good luck. You will know what is the right time. My hubby wanted me to have ASAP as he was afraid to contract anything that might have affected the heart muscle. I opted to wait.

Saw my PCP (didn't have any insurance for quite a while) on Monday May 2, 2005. He freaked out and scheduled an echo for the next day - told the scheduler he didn't care who had to get bumped I was an emergency. Saw PCP on Wednesday - he informed me that the cardiologist was trying to find me since he had seen the echo. Had surgery on the 16th.

15 days from diagnosis to surgery. 3 days from diagnosis to having an appt scheduled with a surgeon. If you know you need it, get it done and over with.

My ahem, cardiologist told me I had an "enlarged aortic root" dilated at 4.3cms in 2004. I had already had the Ross procedure in 1997. He (the cardio) didnt tell me what an enlarged aortic root was, so I though ok no big deal. 2 years go by and I'm having shortness of breath, palpitations...echo shows 7cms. Cath shows 8cms aneurysm held in place by previous scar tissue. Valve wide open, shredded (cardio's words not mine). From finding out it was 7 on the echo to surgery was almost 5 months because I interviewed 2 surgeons.

reading some of these emergency cases really makes me feel lucky i've got so much time to digest this all!!

in fact, I've digested it so much that I want this thing scheduled NOW. TEE on Tuesday, then meeting with surgeon and hopefully setting the date. we'll see...

Hi,
As I am in the pre-surgery phase like yourself; therefore, I can't give you an 'after the fact' answer. However, the cardiologist told me on June 15th, that he would like for me to have surgery by mid-July (1 month wait). However, I have been told the surgeon will be on 2 weeks vacation next month. I have a feeling it will be closer to the end of July! I will know on Tuesday when I meet the surgeon.

Good luck with your TEE on Tuesday! I think the sooner the better, so you can get this all behind you and before everyone goes on vacation.

We're all here for you!

Latest posts

Back