how long did you wait between cardio saying "it's time" and setting surgery date?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuoricino

www.thoughtsfromabroad.com
how long did you wait between cardio saying "it's time" and setting surgery date?

Hi all, me again.

I have a question for you guys who have already set a surgery date and I know it will vary, but I'm just curious:

How much time went by between your cardiologist saying "it's time to operate" and you setting the date?

I first heard those magic words from my cardiologist in the beginning of May, and I am currently doing the rounds of doctors to get 2nd, 3rd, 4th.... etc. opinions. ;p My goal is to have done the surgery by August, but I'm worried. Is that too long/too short a time to wait?!? My mom who is on the other side of the world and worried sick says it's too short. My boyfriend who has been side by side with me for the consults says it would be better to do the surgery ASAP.

On top of it all, Italy's surgeons are, unfortunately, notorious for pushing people into surgeries they don't necessarily need to get big chunks of money from the state. :eek: Although, comparing my stats with the people on here and optimistically thinking that 2 different cardios and 2 different surgeons couldn't POSSIBILY all be pushing me into unecessary surgery, it seems like it's time.

???

In the USA, 'Old School' Cardiologists are notorious for wanting to PostPone Surgery until the 'last minute'.

Modern thinking is that the Risk of Surgery is SO LOW (1% morbidity, 1% mortality, on a National Basis, less with Great Surgeons) that "Sooner is Better" to prevent further (and possible Permantent) damage to your heart.

Some of our members got to Surgery "Just in Time" and reported that their Valves (or Aneurism) literally "Fell Apart in the Surgeon's Hands". Some even reported that their Echo's did not reveal the full extent of how badly their valves had deteriorated.

I've heard of Bypass Surgeries that may not have been needed, but usually when Valve Replacement is recommended, it IS needed and is the ONLY real 'FIX' to the problem.

'AL Capshaw'

I had my angiogram on 8th June and was told by the doctor that I needed surgery within a couple of weeks and would have 'the next urgent slot'. I then opted to go to a private hospital so that took three weeks (30th June), it would have been faster on the NHS but the food wouldn't have been as good. The surgeon would have been the same one though.

I found out in January that I would need surgery and about 4 weeks later it was scheduled for march 23rd only because I also had to go to the Neurologist due to some numbing and tingling in my legs. Cardiologist just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong. They then called and moved it to March 20th. during my Pre - op testing they found I had a UTI so it was rescheduled for April 20th.

I had surgery about a month after my cardiologist said it was time. It took that long to save me 4 pints of my blood to take with me to Houston. That was back when some of the blood bank had been infected with HIV. Really didn't help much, for before I got out of the hospital I had been given 21 units of blood.

My cardio told me I needed the surgery the third week in January, 2008. I had cath and TEE and met with my surgeon within 2 1/2 weeks and my surgery was end of Februrary. It had to be at least two weeks after meeting with my surgeon as he wanted me off certain medications for that length of time. I would have agreed to having the surgery the next day. The wait is so difficult.

IMO, as soon as you know you must have the surgery, have it as soon as possible. What is there to wait for? Get it done and get on with recovering.

Sending you all best wishes.

Cardio said surgery is definately needed at end of Jan 2008, however since I was on IV antibotics needed to wait another 8 weeks for clearance from Infectious Control doctor, then beginning of April had CT, MRI, Stress Test. Met with surgeon middle of April 2008, scheduled surgery for first available slot with surgeon May 19, 2008. Haven't looked back and feel 150% better.

I had an asymptomatic MVP start causing trouble on 17 Feb this year. Saw my cardio on 25 Feb, when he said, "Remember our conversation about risks of surgery vs. benefits?" By the beginning of the next week (2 Mar), I had my surgery scheduled for 26 Mar. I'm glad I scheduled as quickly as I did, because between the 2nd and the 26th, I could feel my symptoms getting noticeably worse.

12 days! It was kind of an emergency,in spite of knowing about my regurg for
15 years, i was going into heart failure real fast. If I waited I would not have lived thru the surgery.

I found out just before Christmas 1999, had the TEE and cath by mid February 2000 and my surgery was in March. It was about the same interval for AVR2. My surgeon booked me starting around 3 weeks before both surgeries, but, as in all things, there's always something. In my case there was always someone in more urgent need. I was postponed 4 times in 2000 and 3 times in 2006.

The waiting is one of the hardest aspects of this surgery for both the family and the patient. Thankfully, most can handle the stress.

Take Heart,
Pamela.

I finished all tests on 5/12. I had already searched for a great surgeon. Met with him twice, the last time on 5/22. Will have surgery tomorrow (6/11)

I would add that I knew which surgeon would be doing the operation, when I was airlifted to England I met my surgeon before meeting the cardiologist under whose care I would be. The surgeon came in at 10pm on the Saturday evening and at that time he was thinking of operating within days, it was only later they decided to try to clear the endocarditis first.

I found out I need surgery in early December, they wanted to do surgery at the same time. I put it off for a month, then rescheduled for a second time for April, which I kept, so a total of 4 months. I just needed time to wrap my mind around it and check around for some other opinions.

Kim

Seeing the size of your aneurism, from what I've learned on this site, I agree with your boyfriend - ASAP! For what it's worth, I've read that the WHO rates the Italian health system second in the world.

By the way, I spent two weeks studying Italian at the Scuola Leonardo da Vinci in Florence! I adore Florence!

In bocca al lupo! (For the others, that's a superstitious way of saying "good luck").

15 minutes for his first surgery - obviously it wasn't a choice at that point. For the 3rd surgery we had time to prepare, which of course is good and bad. I scheduled it during my other son's spring break which was almost 3 months after the surgeons were ready. The waiting was hard. I would recommend that as soon as YOU decide that yes, in fact you are going to have the surgery that you then get it as quick as you can.

tell your Mom that I can really empathize with her. I can't imagine having my child undergo this on the other side of the world.

Melissa.... What an excellent suggestion.
It could make all the difference for Mom to be able to ask her questions and get quick answers.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm getting more comfortable with the idea that I need to book this thing quick, especiallly considering that in August Italy is a wasteland and there's no way I'll find a surgeon willing to forego/postpone his month at the seaside for little old me! :) Your responses have also helped me enormously in "wrapping my mind around things" as Kim mentioned and after the surgery consult on Monday I may be ready to book. I'll keep you all posted.

Melissa, I got your PM! I'll send you my personal email address when I get a chance because I'd like to talk about some things with you, but the PM alert goes to my email at work! Keep an eye out for a message from me ;p

About my mom, I actually referred her to this site just the other day. We'll see if she comes on board! I also want to clarify that as soon as I set the date, she'll book a flight right over to me!! (I'm such a lucky daughter) Unfortunately my boyfriend and I just moved to Florence from a different Italian city and my support group includes all of one person here = my boyfriend. So a few of my friends from different cities in Italy, my boyfriend's mother and hopefully my sisters will make the haul out as well during my recovery so that I'll have people to help me/keep me entertained even when the BF goes to work.

Adrienne - crepi! Se mai vuoi fare pratica con il tuo italiano fammi sapere! ;p

Thanks again to all, I'll keep you posted

Latest posts

Back