How is Karl's recovery going?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realkarl

Radiation survivor
Supporting Member
It's been a while since my last update... "Slow-but-steady" is my motto, and I can fortunately report that the biggest event the last couple of weeks is that I have slept well on my side and in my own bed for the first time in 5 weeks. It may not sound like much, but after so many weeks sleeping in a recliner, it sure feels great. The recliner was needed after having my chest opened and zippered back up and the resulting discomfort when lying flat.

My recovery is going well. I can walk up a whole flight of stairs without resting in the middle now, but still feel winded at the top. I exercise twice daily, 30 minutes each time, usually on a stationary bicycle in the morning, and a walk in the evening. I am also getting stronger doing everyday activities and being out and about with some errands, but I do need rest after a while. There is plenty left to improve.

Sometimes I wish the recovery would be quicker so I can feel like my old self right away, but I have to be patient, and consider the complexity of my surgery and the severe shock this was to my system. What is important is that there is slow but steady improvement. I was especially glad to see my surgeon's email where he wrote: "We want you better than your pre-op state - back to a year or two ago when you were still biking to work!" . That's my ultimate goal, but I have to have an intermediate goal as well, and that is to catch up to where I was pre-surgery.

To further aid my recovery, I just started a Cardiac Rehab program at Virginia Mason (where I had my surgery). There I was connected to an EKG monitor while exercising, and it was reassuring to see that my heart rate and blood pressure were both behaving as they should while I was pushing myself as much as I currently can. The program is expensive at $100 per session, and unlike most other health insurances which cover 36 sessions, my Group Health insurance does not cover any. So I don't plan on completing the whole program, but enough to verify I am on the right track by myself.

The first post-op echocardiagram at Virginia Mason a couple of weeks ago showed that my new and repaired heart valves are working perfectly and that the left ventricle has shrunk back to normal size. This is great news. However, the ejection fraction is only 42% (normal is 55-70%) and resting pulse is higher than normal at 90-95. What this means is that my heart is functioning well, but pumping too little each beat. This will gradually return to normal as my heart is re-modeling itself to its new working conditions after the repairs it went through. Physicians don't fully understand this re-modeling process, just that it takes time and effort. I have a new echo in the beginning of September and my cardiologist will then consider when I can safely return to work, which is a milestone I am looking forward to, but need to continue to build my strength and endurance a little further to be ready.

That's it for now. Life is good and I am enjoying every moment of every day, even while sweating hard on the bicycle, with much less load that before. That's because now I know that my workout efforts are actually improving my heart function, whereas before my surgery, no improvement was possible, and things were only getting worse.. Now they are only getting better!

Karl.

Karl,

Congrats on your recovery progress. It sounds like you are doing fine. I start phase 2 cardic rehab myself in 2 weeks. My resting heart rate is around 90 now, I'm 4 weeks post op, shortly after surgery my resting rate in the hospital was between 100 and 115. The doctors have me on 125mg of lowpressor twice day to get the heart rate down. Before surgery my resting heart rate was in the 70ies while I was on 100mg of Toprol XL. My cardio stated that my heart rate should return to before surgery levels as the heart remodels itself. Hang in there, you will get better.

BAVD John: I am on 6.25 mg of Carvedilol, also a beta-blocker, twice daily for heart rate and BP. Before my surgery, the dose was 25 mg twice daily, but it has a much stronger effect on me now. I am patiently looking forward to a lower resting pulse, but it doesn't really bother me at 90ish either.

Great going Karl. Your post is excellent....good thing for the pre-surgery people to read because it has so much info. One more step each day or 1 more minute on the treadmill is progress and you know who won the race....it wasn't the rabbit.

Continued success in your recovery.

Midge

Happy for you karl, keep improving 'slowly but surely'. Listen to your body and do not rush things. Time will pass quickly and you shall be back to where you were before surgery. :)

Keep us posted.

Right on Karl and i agree with Eva listen to your body.
My surgery was Jan 22 and took me till end of june to return
to work,still not able to lift over 5 lbs and i tire some days more
quicker than other days,we all heal differently and it does come some
slower,some faster.you sound great and progress only gets better with
time for sure.Good to see your post and all the best in continuing your
recovery.

Latest posts

Back