How good should you feel?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgreenbee

My cardiologist explained to me that the main reason one replaces a leaking aortic valve is that the inefficiency that the regurgitation causes eventually damages the heart, leading to potentiality life shortening heart failure. When I asked her if a new valve's more efficient performamce would result in an overall improvement in my energy level and overall well being she said, "no." She indicated that result of the surgery would be to stop further damage, not to produce actual improvement. However, my family doctor told me she thought I should expect to feel much better after the recovery period.
So, I am asking the forum about reasonable expectations. What have your doctors told you to expect? What do you think the end results of the surgery should be? What have your experiences been?

I have had my pulmonary valve replaced twice. The first time I did not have a marked increase in energy. By the time they replaced the valve the second time I definitely had decrease exercise ability and endurance. I felt much better after the surgery.

Debbie

I can speak from experience on this one as it pertained to myself when I had my aortic valve replaced 7 years ago. Once I was underway with recovery I could tell a difference with my stamina and endurance with most things. My heart was just starting to go into congestive failure when they found my bad valve so I was lucky and my heart returned to a normal size and a good ejection fraction of around 60. I felt much better than before my surgery 8 weeks out. I think the overall improvement is going to depend on the amount of heart damage you have sustained at this point. The heart can adapt to the performance of it's overall structure and if it doesn't have to work as hard with the new valve it is possible to see some improvement in overall function. This came from my cardiologist with my first valve replacement.
I am up for number 2 in 2 weeks with a full root replacement and new valve because of an aneurysm that has caused some issues with my mechanical valve. Hope this helps. God bless and speedy recovery.

Keith

Four years later (after my surgery), my routine is to awake at 6:00AM, coffee, dress and walk to bus stop by 8:00, get off bus and walk to work. Work 9:00 to 6:00 running on my feet all day as Pharmacy Tech. Walk to bus stop, walk to market (everyday) walk home. At home, I do all the chores I've always done and with the same or more vigor than before. Certainly the 6 months prior to my surgery these things took increasing effort and/or frequent (and I do mean frequent) rest periods. Today, I feel fantastic. It doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen. I think the surgery gave me a zest for life, that and turning 50 this year :)

Before my valve replacement, I suffered severe palpitations and had little energy; walking from my car into the office (200 ft) left me very short of breath. I experienced dizziness and eventually radiating chest pains. Like most of us here, the walls of my left ventricle had begun to thicken. These things were all caused by the degenerating valve. Two days after surgery I woke feeling good for the first time in a very long time. By the end of my first month I was walking a mile or more at one time without needing a pause to rest and things have gotten better since then so my life now is very normal. I can walk the dog, ride my bike and do all the other things I had become unable to do before the valve replacement. Since surgery, even the walls of my left ventricle have begun to relax somewhat and my doctor feels there is every indication that will continue. I cannot speak for you but as for myself, my life has returned and I have a future again.

Larry

I will speak from my observations of Skyler. Skyler had both his mitral and aortic valves replaced, and an ascending aortic aneurism. The reasons for the surgery was insufficient size of the mitral valve (originally put in when he was 4.5 months old, most recent surgery at 12.5yo). Insufficiency is a minor statement!

Pre surgery, Skyler became out of breath easily (going up 8 steps), had chest pains from minor exercise (taking a shower, going up stairs, walking from bus stop to school). Found any type of exercise too much work and didn't enjoy anything physical. He refused to go to the deep end swimming without a parent and a life jacket.

2 months post surgery he discovered he could swim across the deep end of the pool, without a life jacket and he wasn't winded. Yesterday he complained because we were only going to the pool for 1.5 hours instead of 4h. His friends get tired and winded before he does when swimming. His colour is hugely better.

My response is generally, it depends. Some people don't find any improvement. Others find great improvement. It depends on symptoms pre-surgery whether conscious of them or not, lifestyle changes, and rehab goals and effort.

I expected to feel much better, but in fact, I'm amazed at the transformation, now going into my eighth month since my AVR. I do everything full tilt boogie without restrictions now, including weight-lifting. My only lingering annoyances are the side effects from the anesthesia & an occasional lapse into temporary depression--something that is very common among folks who have had heart surgery. Actually, my main bother right now is my arthritis acting up. I'm ready to climb a mountain & my creaking knee, shoulder, & lower back say "not so fast, Sparky." As much as I hate to, I'm going to have to start taking an NSAID every day. Not sure which one yet. Best wishes!

Im waiting for my pulmonary valve to be replaced, i'm currently sympmatic, but my cardiologist has told me that even with the valve replacement there's only 20-25% chance max of it improving my symptoms :( but i need it cause of the state my hearts in,
Love Sarah xx

Latest posts

Back