High blood pressure/pulse 9 days out.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james

So I am 9 days out and have not had my blood pressure or pulse slow down yet.
Before surgery I averaged 120/70 pulse in the 70/80 range.

I am now in the 145/87 85-95 range>
I am taking 75 mg Metoprolol and 5mg of Lisinopril daily. So I would think that would be lower?
Anyone with any experiences of this spike then lowering?
Thanks.

Your heart needs time to heal so be patient. I remember freaking out because my resting heart rate for the 1st week or so didn't get much below 100. I was on 100mg of Metropol (sp ?) when I first went home. Gradually over the next 4 weeks my heart settled down and my heart rate came down. Im now back in the 70bpm resting range and I ditched the Metropol about a year ago.

At 9 days post op the HR and BP can still be high...the heart needs time to recuperate and find a new "normal". I couldn't stand it at all and opted for the Metoprolol, which I am still on, but at a lower dose than post op. In hospital I only took very short, slow walks and rested often when I felt my heart in my throat pounding madly.
I remember it well and it scared me ( I am a weenie). :)
Some hearts recover decently in weeks, some take months, some take a year or more.
You are young and strong, be patient, it will calm down.

You are still fresh out of hospital...my BP and pulse were hiher than usual and they went down with time over the period of a couple of months. For me, my pulse is still uptodate in the high 80s. I was bothered in the beginning by it, but I got used to it now.

Just give time to your heart and body to heal from what they went through.

Hey James... same thing with me. I had a high pulse rate, and blood pressure for about a month or so, now its "normal" again. Give it time, your still very early out. Im glad your doing good though, keep us posted.

Sorry - you've got a while to go. Your blood pressure will often go on a roller coaster ride for two to eight months after surgery.

In fact, you should be cautious about reacting too strongly to changes, as your BP may make a slow dive any time now. If you have your doctor load you up on too much medication, you may be applying a long-term solution to a temporary problem.

The beta blocker is the one which would likely have the greatest direct affect on both your pulse rate and BP.

Best wishes,

I agree with above James. I went thru it with my first OHS, so I was more prepared this time. You heart was having to work overtime for so long with the bad valve, now with the bright, shiny new one, it's trying to find it's happy place. And it's a little harder for it cause we go thru the sit and veggie times during the day spiced with the quick get outa the way bathroom runs and then the slow walk around the breakfast bar 15 times for exercise times. Once we get into a more normal routine it'll be fine. Keep plugging friend, Rick

Latest posts

Back