Here I am again--3 Weeks Post Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malibu82

hi again. i thought i would update with a 3 week post op picture. looks a lot better i think. i can't wait until i get to start using the scar cream on it. anyone know when i can start that?
IMG_0681.jpg

Your scar looks to be healing up very nicely. Does not look bad at all! (hard to believe it looks that good after only 3 weeks!) I can only pray for results as good as yours when I have my surgery! Take care and I hope you're feeling well.

It does look better. I have no idea about the scar cream. Is that something the doc gives you? I know when I had surgery before my GP told me that it isn't so much the cream that diminshes a scar that it is the massaging that does the trick. So once you get the ok missy then rub away! Lol
Glad to see you are doing so well in such a short time.

Thanks girls!

Penny, I went to the department store and asked for the BEST scar treatment. I told them I didn't care how much it costs. They told me to go to Walgreens and get Mederma for Scars. It works the best they said. I guess anything with onion bulb extract in it is good for scars.....

The two little scars are from the chest tubes, just so you ladies know what to expect. I didn't really know about those until I woke up and had them!

Pfffft, in another year, you won't hardly be able to see it and besides, why should anyone care? Wear it with honor. It is the medal of honor won in the battle and fight for your life.

Jackie, I've asked about scar cream too. There have been at least 2, if not 3 different docs that all told me the same thing - wait 3 months before using those creams... And one of them also stressed the importance of rubbing it in very, very well like Penny said. And I even remember them telling me that before the surgery - they say everyone wants to rub vitamin E on it and it's not good to do that 'till later on... I got a tube from a friend (she's in the modeling/skin care biz so figured she knows her stuff) and it says on there not to use it 'till the wound is fully healed. So all signs seem to be pointing toward waiting a while. I can't remember what the name of that stuff is she gave me, but I'll go find it if you're interested.

I've also been wondering about tanning... Everyone so far is saying to use at least 30 sun block on the scar, which I don't know if I would have thought of before. And the girl at the tanning booth the other day (I know, it's summer, but it's been cloudy here for like 2 wks straight, lol) said to put a towel on it in addition to the 30 spf stuff... So I did, now I've got a big white stripe lol. Gonna go towel-less next time but still use the 30 spf, but hope it doesn't do any harm - don't think it will.

Anyway, your scar is looking awsome! Even at the top where you were concerned about the sideways scab for a while, lol. And those damn chest tubes... Yours don't look bad at all, but for me, that's turned out to be a bigger concern than the scar. It doesn't look like yours are dented in as bad as mine. Mine seriously looks like an extra belly button. Maybe when I drop 20 or 30 lbs I'm hoping it will flatten out some (now there's some incentive for me, lol). But so far the docs & nurses are trying to lower my expectations - they say it'll heal more, from the inside out, and it should flatten some, but there may always be a dent.. Wish I would've known that, I'd have asked for stitches like I've seen some people get. So for those in the waiting room - might be something to ask about pre-surgery if you're concerned about that type of thing.

Pfffft, in another year, you won't hardly be able to see it and besides, why should anyone care? Wear it with honor. It is the medal of honor won in the battle and fight for your life.

thanks ross. i pretty much agree with you on that. at the same time i see how it could be a bit distracting so if i can't fix it up a little i will try!

Jackie, I've asked about scar cream too. There have been at least 2, if not 3 different docs that all told me the same thing - wait 3 months before using those creams... And one of them also stressed the importance of rubbing it in very, very well like Penny said. And I even remember them telling me that before the surgery - they say everyone wants to rub vitamin E on it and it's not good to do that 'till later on... I got a tube from a friend (she's in the modeling/skin care biz so figured she knows her stuff) and it says on there not to use it 'till the wound is fully healed. So all signs seem to be pointing toward waiting a while. I can't remember what the name of that stuff is she gave me, but I'll go find it if you're interested.

I've also been wondering about tanning... Everyone so far is saying to use at least 30 sun block on the scar, which I don't know if I would have thought of before. And the girl at the tanning booth the other day (I know, it's summer, but it's been cloudy here for like 2 wks straight, lol) said to put a towel on it in addition to the 30 spf stuff... So I did, now I've got a big white stripe lol. Gonna go towel-less next time but still use the 30 spf, but hope it doesn't do any harm - don't think it will.

Anyway, your scar is looking awsome! Even at the top where you were concerned about the sideways scab for a while, lol. And those damn chest tubes... Yours don't look bad at all, but for me, that's turned out to be a bigger concern than the scar. It doesn't look like yours are dented in as bad as mine. Mine seriously looks like an extra belly button. Maybe when I drop 20 or 30 lbs I'm hoping it will flatten out some (now there's some incentive for me, lol). But so far the docs & nurses are trying to lower my expectations - they say it'll heal more, from the inside out, and it should flatten some, but there may always be a dent.. Wish I would've known that, I'd have asked for stitches like I've seen some people get. So for those in the waiting room - might be something to ask about pre-surgery if you're concerned about that type of thing.

You are tanning already? I didn't even think about that. I don't think I could lay in the tanning bed since it makes your body so flat. I used to work at a tanning salon and yes you for sure want to use SPF on it. But maybe you should wait the 3 months to use that. I even use SPF mixed in with tanning lotion for the rest of my body. Don't worry, the chest tube thing really will flatten out. Because in December when I had my gallbladder removed, they did it laparoscopically, and my incisions were similar to the chest tube ones (just not as large). At first they were indented, but have already flattened out!

oh wow - thanks for sharing so personal of information - I am totally in awe that's only 3 weeks! yipee! not so bad -

Thanks Jackie, hope you're right about the chest tube thing. This past sat. is the first time I tried the tanning bed, and it didn't cause any problems for me to lay flat (been sleeping flat for weeks now), was just a little challenging getting out of the tanning bed w/o using my arms too much. You might be right about waiting 3 months too... I just said above the docs told me not to use vit e on it for 3 months, and here I am using spf... Duhhhh...... Sometimes I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree... But I can't go all summer w/o getting a little color either... Maybe I'll keep doing the towel thing.

Good to know about vit E cream for use in about 2-3 months....but have to ask, are you guys nuts for using tanning salon, eh?

It is mid June, sun at highest, almost apex, what about an hour back deck on a sunny day?

or are you looking for the no tan lines look? LOL

Seriously, am sitting out there for a while on the sunny days, have great colour, but do have tan lines..trick is not to overdo it, but would definatelky not be comfortable with using tanning booth

Jacquie, is fever down?

Oh and Malibu your scar is healing very well, good on you, your drain tube scars are healing nicely, the drain tubes for me are still very scabbed and evident, whereas, yours are fading fast...so if anyone is staring you can always scold them for staring (smile)...seriously good for 3 weeks post op...good on you

Oh, and as far as drain tubes go. They used different places for both of my surgeries so I have 5 drain tube scars under my 9 1/2 inch long scar. I'll have to get a pic of the bottom later to show u guys.

Good to know about vit E cream for use in about 2-3 months....but have to ask, are you guys nuts for using tanning salon, eh?

It is mid June, sun at highest, almost apex, what about an hour back deck on a sunny day?

or are you looking for the no tan lines look? LOL

Seriously, am sitting out there for a while on the sunny days, have great colour, but do have tan lines..trick is not to overdo it, but would definatelky not be comfortable with using tanning booth

Jacquie, is fever down?

yes the no tan lines look! and besides, if i lay out on my back patio, i will have 3 dogs either jumping on me, or wagging their tail in my face the whole time, or dropping their toys on me trying to get me to throw it! and we have a lot of mosquitos back there yuckkkkkkkkk!

thanks for the compliments on the scar looking good! i feel like its a road map to cleavage, maybe thats why i am eager to get rid of the damn thing! haha

Jackie, I think you look just great!! I agree with Ross in that your scar shows what a brave warrior you have been. I also heard Mederma works the best on scars. Colin gets terrible scarring due to the weakness of his skin. I am sure he will start using it as soon as he is allowed. I am so glad you are doing so well. Able to cuddle and hold your little ones yet?

Your scar looks great. I agree that in a year, there's a good chance it will fade to much less noticeable.
I have a total of 7 drain tube scars (three from one surgery and four from the second OHS) and I can hardly find any of them.
Seems you heal well and you probably will be pleasantly surprised to see your scars just about fade away. :)
My doctors all cautioned me to put nothing on the scars for three months until they were fully healed. You don't want an infection.

Gil, I'd be happy to go outside and get some sun, if the damn thing ever comes out... I live up here in Minnesota, and this is apparently monsoon season or something. We're supposed to have our first sunny day in about 2 wks day after tomorrow, then it's gonna be right back in the clouds thru the weekend.... That's why the tanning bed for me - not so much the tan lines, lol.

But now I just read an article about your skin possibly turning blue if you tan while on Amiodarone... Yikes - I don't wanna move to Vegas an join the blue man group (although moving to vegas for other reasons sounds pretty good right now) so I'm debating not getting too much sun.... Plus, as miss Jackie pointed out - why would I feel ok about putting sunscreen on my scar if I'm not supposed to put vit e on it for 3 months... Ughhh...... Hurry up 3 month mark!!!

PS - can someone in another state confirm the sun is still up in the sky? Is it still round and bright?

Heh Andy, now i know where that grin in photo comes from, you think differently than most of us (grin)

hear you on the lack of sun of late, not sure you are living same thing in MN, but it sure was sunny and hot while in hospital and now tough to get 2 sunny days in a row, but then again it is only mid-June.....

not sure if the blue man thing would suit you Andy, you may be better off pale white vs. vivid blue to attract the ladies, but just think about opening lines at the bar...like "would you believe i have just had OHS a few weeks ago and it made me blue" , or "do you want to see my blue scar" LOL

here we are 2 loudmouths eating up Jacquie/Malibu's thread, hope she doesn't mind (smile), but at least the group has been informed that Vit E and sunscreen probably not a great idea in 1st weeks post op, maybe tanning salon also

Latest posts

Back