Help with Echo Measurements

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumpy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I just got the latest echo results faxed over and I am a little confused. The cardiologist had said that there had been some progression but the report says no significant change. It still shows mild valvular aortic stensosis and moderate aortic regurgitation (I think the regurgitation showing moderate might be new). The Aortic root is normal in size, as is the ascending aorta. There is no precardial effusion (whatever that means).

Can anyone tell me what these numbers mean? (they may be metric....Canada...sorry)

Asc Aorta Diam: 3 cm
Ao Max PG: 47 mmHg
Ao Mean PG: 27.9 mmHg
AI P1/2t: 887.2 msec

I also need to know what the cross sectional area is but this is not on the results. Is it called something else?

Thanks. I thought getting the Echo results would clear up my confusion....it didn't.....

Can't help with the measurements, but no pericardial effusion is a good thing. The heart is enclosed in a sac called the pericardium, and if there is fluid in there, it's a pericardial effusion, which is not a good thing.

I think the metric numbers are standard, even in the US. It seems a bit sparse in details, no EF or indication if LV is normal or enlarged; is this all the info?

There should be one or more references related to interpreting Echo Reports in the Reference Forum.

Ao (Max and Mean) PG refer to the Peak and Mean Pressure Gradients across the valve, expressed in millimeters of Mercury (Hg)

I'm surprised the report did contain a mention of the Effect Valve Area.
Many Surgeons use 0.8 sq cm as their trigger point for recommending Aortic Valve Replacement.
There are also guidelines based on the Gradients but I don't remember the trigger point.
Your gradients seem "moderately high" to my (non-professional) mind.
Hopefully someone (or one of the references) can give you a better feel for the degree of severity vs. gradients.

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back