Help please, need some advice!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah_Louise

Hey everyone,
Hope your all well,
2 things really,
Firstly I'm having this tooth out on Wednesday :D i actually can't wait, i'm in agony with it, anyway, for those of you that are on anti-coagulants & have had any dental surgery/ tooth extractions, have you had to come of your anti-coagulants prior to the procedure? No one's mentioned it, but it's ended up being an emergancy to some extent as my whole mouths ulcerated :( and i'm on an anti-biotic mouth wash to try and heal it.
Secondly, For those of you thats had endocarditis (sp) what where your symptoms? I know everyone's differs but I just want to know what happened with you? how did you no when to get checked out? I was at the doctors on friday as i've had chest pain, mild fever, more short of breath than usual and for the last 5 day's i've just about constantly slept, and she said its all just connected to my tooth, but if i'm no better to go back! How can a tooth be connected to your heart unless the infections spread?!? I'm feeling slightly better but still not 100% i in no way think i've got endo as i'm not extemely ill, but just wanted to know what to look out for, but hoping once i have this tooth out i'll feel better,
Anyway, thanks in advanced :)
Love Sarah xxx

Can't help much ... my dentist said I would have to lower my INR for a tooth pull but not come off completely ... sorry you are dealing with this!! .... ((((HUGS))))

Once you've had the tooth out, go to your cardiologist and raise your concern about infectious endocarditis. The blood test for this is simple, but takes precious time. This is not the kind of thing that should be pooh-poohed as unnecessary by a general practitioner who may not be acquainted with the heightened risk that you face. Endocarditis is a real threat to someone with your heart issues.

Best wishes,

Hi Sarah Louise,

When I had endo I had a vary high temperature for about 3 weeks, extreme fatigue and bad headache. The temperature would peak at night and I would wake covered in sweat and would need to change the bed linen. My endo was undiagnosed for almost a month and was very scary. I spent almost a month in hospital and had hospital in the home for almost a month. I never want to get it again. I hope my honesty does not freak you out. My GPs advice since having endo is if I have a temperature for more than 3 days come and see him.

Hope this helps.

Phil.

Thanks everyone, i've rang the hospital about my anti-cogulants and there getting back in touck with me,
Phil, im sorry to hear about your rough time!! Glad your okay now though :)
Love Sarah xxx

Im new to this obviously, but I don't believe that they will tell you to come off of your Coumadin, that's just from the little information I've gathered from my doctor and cardiologist. However your doctor will know what's best for you.

Thanks everyone,
I rang the dentist before hand to ask bout anti-coagulation and was told just to take my normal dose....
I've had 4 lots of OHS and i would take it anyday over having my tooth out!
I'm in agnoy with it, i looked like i had a stroke as the whole of the left side of my face dropped, and i can bearly move my jaw as its bruised :(
I bled so much afterwards they ended up needing to stitch it, and i've now got the biggest blood clot i've ever seen in the hole where my tooth was!
Off to find more pain killers!!
Love Sarah xxx

Hey Sarah,

What really scares me, and maybe I missed it in your post, but are they going to pre-med you before your appointment? I know that whenever I have to go to the dentist, even simple dental cleanings, I have to pre-med one hour before the appointment! This is a MUST for anyone who has undergone OHS!

As for having to get off coumadin before the tooth extraction, I have had two molars removed, (not at the same time), and did not have to come off the anticoagulants.

Good luck to you and I know how relieved you'll be when they extract that painful tooth!!! :thumbup:

Okay...sorry....went back & re-read your post.....so they already did the extraction, correct? Were you pre-med when they did it??

Note: Don't go remove the clot where the tooth was. Leave it alone because then you'll have what they call, "dry socket" and you don't want to go there!

Last edited:
Sarah, I am sorry you have to go thru all of that. I hope you'll be feeling better soon. My husband also had a mech. valve and when he needed dental surgery it was a nightmare, he needed to be stitched up several times, the bleeding was really hard to stop.

Thanks everyone,
I rang the dentist before hand to ask bout anti-coagulation and was told just to take my normal dose....
I've had 4 lots of OHS and i would take it anyday over having my tooth out!
I'm in agnoy with it, i looked like i had a stroke as the whole of the left side of my face dropped, and i can bearly move my jaw as its bruised :(
I bled so much afterwards they ended up needing to stitch it, and i've now got the biggest blood clot i've ever seen in the hole where my tooth was!
Off to find more pain killers!!
Love Sarah xxx
Oh you poor thing....extractions are awful. Hope you can find some relief and get some rest. :)

Thank you,
NJean, no i have had NO anti-biotics for 2 weeks (was put on them for the infected tooth) my cardiac team said there was no need? i was shocked to be told this, but there the docs and they no best right?
Love Sarah xxx

I can't get to the clot anyway cause if the stiches lol, but i wouldn't touch it as i wouldn't want to have it re stitched again, not nice!!
Love Sarah xxx

Thank you,
NJean, no i have had NO anti-biotics for 2 weeks (was put on them for the infected tooth) my cardiac team said there was no need? i was shocked to be told this, but there the docs and they no best right?
Love Sarah xxx

Wow, I guess they do things differently in the UK! I just pray that your doctors haven't compromised your situation by not having you on antibiotics! :eek2:

I've always had anti-biotic cover with the dentist etc but for some reason this time i was told i didn't need them?!?
love Sarah xxx

sarah it is protocol in the uk not to have any anti bio before tooth work fillings etc, i asked my cardio about this and he explained that theres more chance of a bad reaction to anti bio than there is of infections etc from your dental work,he went on to say our gums bleed when we clean our teeth and when we floss so do we need anti bio then? also our mouth is full of bacteria anyway,he went on to say a good cleaning regime is the best thing for us, when i thought about it he does have a point,

sarah it is protocol in the uk not to have any anti bio before tooth work fillings etc, i asked my cardio about this and he explained that theres more chance of a bad reaction to anti bio than there is of infections etc from your dental work,he went on to say our gums bleed when we clean our teeth and when we floss so do we need anti bio then? also our mouth is full of bacteria anyway,he went on to say a good cleaning regime is the best thing for us, when i thought about it he does have a point,

You're right the UK guidelines are different than almost every place else, but I think it is usually different when you already have an infection like Sarah does. I'm not sure why they would risk an extensive procedure like she is having done that most people -even those with no heart problems would be put on antibitics for. FWIW when Justin had his impacted infected tooth removed he had oral antibiotics before and after and IV antibiotics during the surgery
I just saw ou had the tooth pulled already, hopefully the pain and swelling stops soon. Keep an eye on the tooth, sometimes you can start bleeding again if the clot falls off etc

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn,
I was told if i wasn't waiting for another heart opperation, they'd have gave me a GA to take it out!
But they decided that 2 GA's in as many months isn't good for my liver lol
love Sarah xxx

I'm from the UK and my cardio/ surgeon insist I always take antibiotics before ANY dental procedures! Good luck!

Latest posts

Back