Heartrate after OHS ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake

So I am now 10 days post-op after repair of my ascending aorta and my heart rate is just barely showing some signs of coming down. Problem, it is still consistently over 100 and often in the 110's. Heart rate is consistent, just too high.

I can only assume that a valve replacement or any heart repair would be equally traumatic to the heart, so with this in mind, here is my question to you all:

How high was your resting heart rate after surgery and how long did it takes before it started getting back to "normal?" I say "normal" because even though I exercise regularly, my heart rate has always been in the 70's to 90's.

The surgeon has me on metoprolol 100mgx2 daily along with 325 aspirin, Lasix, a couple laxatives, and an anti-biotic. The Metoprolol is way higher than my pre-surgery 37mgx1 daily. I’m only 10 days out so I expect it will take some time for the metoprolol to start kicking in.

I know were all different, but this is a pretty astute group so your input would be greatly valued. I am just dying to get on my stationary bike, but they won’t let me on with my resting heart rate over 100 but I hate to "dope" myself below 100 if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration folks.

An elevated Heart Rate after OHS is Very Common.

My understanding is that most Surgeons don't get too concerned as long as it is under 120 BPM.

Your 110 resting HR is a tad on the high side. I'm thinking most people were in the 90-100 range at rest but this can rise Quickly with exercise.

At 10 days post-op, I'm guessing that regular walking is what your Docs will want you to do.

It DOES come down, but it takes time. I'm thinking several weeks but don't remember exactly.

Remember, PATIENCE wins the day. MANY of us struggled with the SLOW pace of recovery.

As long as you show improvement on a weekly basis, you are on the right track and WILL get there.

It just takes Longer than we like.

Keep on walking and keep an eye on your HR.

Best Wishes,

'AL Capshaw'

Hello Jake.

Al must be right.I had my Aortic valve replaced and a double bypass on Nov22 which is 3 weeks today.I have been keeping a "vitals record" since I got home.I take temperature,blood pressure and heart rate,weight,INR test results and coumadin dosage.This will be good info on the 6 week echo check up with heart doctor.My at rest heart rate numbers are as follows 104,127,120,116,95,115,107,115,122,118,104,113,116,108 and 113 today.I take the reading as soon as i get up in the morning.I too was in the 70's prior to OHS.I am also on APO-METOPROL 100MG per day and ASPIRIN 81mg one per day.

Last edited:
I do remember my HR being more than I wanted it to be, because I kept taking it hoping it would come down. The Higher rate caused me anxiety. It now stays in the lower 70s at rest and that feels good to me esp since I have the LOUDEST valve ever made! The faster my HR goes....the louder that thing becomes! I do think this is normal for you.

Mileena

hi there! mine was higher as well. it slowly made its way back down to a resting heart rate of about 68 which was normal for me.

the first weeks i had a fever that would not go away. it made my heart rate in the 100 range which really scared me!

I have to take beta blockers but they lower my blood pressure enough that my heart rate goes way up as my body tries to correct the low BP. I don't know what your BP is but I have to be careful not to get into a push me pull you problem between my blood pressure and heart rate.

hmmmm Well, looking back at my daily HR log (twice daily recorded and regular monitoring all day long) it is starting to graph very slowly down. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not really getting me down or upsetting me, it’s just kind of a curiosity. Sometimes, doctors tend to think that we are not capable of understanding an explanation of WHY things do what they do after surgery, so a good meat and potato's explanation is not always forthcoming. Than if you ask the same questing too many times, we get perceived as being panic ridden or overbearing. LOL!!! Surgeons tend to be a funny lot sometimes.

Anyway, Good to know it was not just me. No one really seems to be too concerned about it right now, like AL said, it’s still well under 120 so I’m not going to go postal just yet. Instead, I will just keep on walking in circles in my living room. It’s like 6 degrees with a foot of snow out side, a touch hostile for a walk in the park. LOL!!!

Hey, thanks again everyone for the input. Recovery has been nothing short of an amazing journey into patience, confidence and discipline.

Jake, it's DEFINITELY not just you -- it's you and me both! I'm 12d post-op, and my normal resting HR of 60 is anywhere from 80 to 110. I can't figure out where all the oxygenated blood is going, either, without making me so dizzy (like from hyperventilating) that I pass out. After all, my stroke volume and LV strength were up to compensate for my AV stenosis and the regurg of my AV and MV. Now that's all fixed, and I'm "consuming" 50-80% as many "pumps per minute"?? It is what it is, I guess, and it's not rare, apparently.

Latest posts

Back