heart surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pspingmom

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I don't know if I'm doing this right because my mom didn't really explain in full detail how I'm supposed to do this.. But my mom wanted me to keep you all updated on how her surgery went. She had heart surgery today. It was successful, and her Aortic valve is replaced successfully. She's in ICU right now recovering. She's in a lot of pain and keeps asking for pain meds. And she's really really thirsty. Her lungs, heart and back is what's hurting her. I don't know if you guys know this or not, but my mom has really bad back problems which cause her a lot of pain. And of course laying on a flat operating table for 7 hours isn't going to help that. Well just thought I'd update you all on how she's doing. I really hope I did this right. If not, at least I tried haha :)

I accidentally posted this same thing in the heart talk room. Oopsy :)
but I realize I'm supposed to post them to this room. Okay sorry, I'm still getting the hang of this. lol.

This is very good news indeed!! From now on it is just recovery with hopefully not too many bumps. You are doing the posting like a pro! :)

Ah! I remember the terrible thirst and only allowed a few ice flakes, which really didn't help much. My 13 year old daughter got into a lot of trouble with the nurses for sneaking me some water! They warned her that she will have to clean up if I became nauseous!

I never had any pain and I am sorry to hear that your Mom is in such pain. The nursing staff should keep her pain under control because it hampers healing and recovery. Lungs seem to suffer particularly badly on the heart lung machine and she must use her spirometer (the breathing thingy) even if it is painful. In ICU I had a very robust no-nonsense night nurse for about 3 nights and she forced me to constantly do the spirometer exercises in spite of me complaining about the pain. One never sleeps much in ICU so she had ample time to practice her brand of torture! :) I hated her at the time but was very thankful afterwards!

Tell your mom that we are thinking of her and praying that she will be out of hospital soon and at home where the real healing can begin....

PLease tell you Mom she is in my thoughts and prayers, when she feels well enough to talk about it. I was very, very thirsty too. Loved those ice chips. They finally let me have my own cup of chips and then finally water. Drank mostly water and ice tea for days in the hospital. Food did not taste very good. Your Mom will start to do better in a few days. Hopefully, they will keep her on pain meds to help with the back pain. Lungs do hurt since I believe they have been collapsed. I had minimally invasive surgery for my aortic valve and some of the nurse say it hurts more in the begining than a fully cut sternum. I did heal faster, I believe, when I left the hospital. It will take time, but she will feel better. Just be there for her and be a good listener. She will appreciate that. Pat

Happy to hear your Mom's surgery was successful but sorry the nurses are not controlling her pain better. Mass General nurses made a point of telling me they consider the level of your pain as important as all other vital signs. Hopefully they will get make your Mom more comfortable today.

Thank you for coming here to post for us. We always appreciate hearing how our fellow posters are doing after their surgeries.
Please pass along our best wishes and hopes your Mom has a bump free recovery.

Please pass along my good wishes for a smooth bump free recovery. I will keep your mom in my thoughts. I hope that her pain will be better controlled. Tell her to take it slow and easy. Feeling good will come with time. And thank you for keeping us updated, you have done a terrific job.

glad to hear surgery is over!

i was soooooo thirsty too! and they don't let you have any water for awhile so i let my ice chips melt and got water. then i realized why you aren't supposed to have any water after i threw up!

my back and neck were my biggest complaints. i was like what the heck did they do to me in there? then i realized what they did, and that explained all of the pain i was in.

she will feel better every day :) thank you for the update

Thanks for letting us know how your mom is doing. Sorry she is in pain, hopefully that will pass on it's own or with the help of drugs. I know I was really thirsty when I woke up. Seemed like days before I could have my own ice chips. I remember Bill B comming to visit and bringing a cup of ice chips, only they were for him, not me! Bill loved the ice chips. After a couple more days, another patient was wheeled into the ICU and in my drug induced state I told my wife to bring an extra dollar because I wanted to buy his first round of ice chips. :) Also the 1 item I coveted the most was a big glass of ice water from Starbucks. Finally I could drink as much as I wanted but did'nt have the strength for some time to do so.

You'll be amazed at the progress your mom will make in the next few days and weeks. I hope her recovery is bump free.

It's wonderful to hear that your mom is through the surgery successfully. Being thirsty and having to make do with ice chips for a short time is a universal story here. She'll get past that. Pain also has to be dealt with -- I was advised not to be shy about accepting the pain meds when the nurses offered them. I was so perky on percocet some of my friends who called thought I'd lied about the surgery and was at a party! :D

Give your mom the best wishes of us all! Thanks for posting news about her. We worry if we don't hear....

Thanks for the update! It's great news to hear your Mom is doing well. I am sorry she is in pain, but you can hardly escape that. Everyone has a certain degree of pain. I can relate to the back pain too. I have a tricky back myself. Not fun!

Please keep us updated when you can. Tell your Mom we all said "hello", and we would love for her to post, when she is feeling better!

Be sure that her surgeon is aware of her Pain.
Ideally, they should get the pain under control.

Back Muscle Pain is a fairly common complaint as a result of how the body is pulled and stretched during surgery. MASSAGE is often Faster and Better than Pain Medications at relieving Muscle Pain.

Here's hoping that your mom will get some relief from those pain issues.

The first few days can be 'rough' followed by various degrees of 'discomfort' as opposed to PAIN.
She will tire easily but it is important that she get up and walk as much as possible, beginning with just a few steps and building up gradually. Movement helps build stamina, keeps the muscles from atrophy,
and helps to rid the body of the anesthesia meds.

'AL Capshaw'

congrats.gif

PLease pass it on and thanks for the up dates ....the little pink lolipop sponges were a great relief for thirst along with ice chips

Today she walked about halfway through the hall with a physical therapist. She's still in pain, and she gets short of breath very easily. Last night she was moved out of ICU and into a regular room. Tomorrow she should get her drainage tubes out, which means they will possibly release her to go home on Friday, possibly Saturday. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, they really mean a lot ♥

Glad to hear that your mom is progressing in a good direction. Tell her to take it slow and steady and to use her spirometer often. It will help with the breathing. You also take care of yourself. I know that right now she might think that things are never going to be good, but give her a couple of weeks and she will start feeling tons better.

Latest posts

Back