Heart Racing/Aneurysm - Related?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissMelis

Hi all,

Bit of background - currently have aortic aneurysm that developed post-Ross procedure - last measured at 4.6 cm in June 2008, it had grown 0.7 cm in 6 months. I am taking beta-blockers to try and slow the growth.
I have an MRI scheduled for June 2009 to see where it's at.

I have been experiencing a few episodes of shortness of breath - just feeling like I can't quite get enough air. Sometimes after climbing stairs or walking too fast/too long, but sometimes just when I'm lying in bed too.

The strangest thing that I've noticed is that some days, when I get out of bed and get into the shower, my heart will just be racing away. Today, for example, I asked my husband to count 1 minute while I counted my BPM. It was 135. My normal resting is about 60, give or take.
This doesn't happen every day, but it happens often enough that I notice.
This morning's episode probably lasted 20 minutes or so.

Does this sound normal?? Does anyone else have episodes like these?
And do you think they are related to the aneurysm?

I will be seeing my cardiologist after the MRI, and he's been running some tests (Holter and echo) after I complained of these symptoms.

Any thoughts? This morning's episode freaked me out.

Thanks!
Melissa

Melissa:

This could be nothing or it could be something that is serious. It is hard to tell. But, I do know this, you can not wait 2 months until your procedure to find out.

What you really need to do is seek medical help. Please call your cardiologist right away. If this happened to me, I would check into an Emergency Room at once.

Wishing you well,

Blanche

Hi there. My heart does this racing for no apparent reason. Only since AVR. I am on beta blockers to try to slow it. I can be at rest at 60 then go up the stairs or even just get dressed and it can be 130-140. Cardio knows not why.

I should get it checked out by your cardio before June. Then at least if it's nothing you can relax.

Lotti

Melissa-
I could not agree more with Blanche. Don't wait. My aneurysm grew to 4.7 cm and I was a wreck. Tying my shoes took all of my energy. I am 14 days post op and still having some issues with rapid pulse and shortness of breath, but nothing like before. See you cardiologist as soon as you can.

Best wishes and you are in my prayers.

Phil

Hi Melissa and welcome aboard,

In addition to all said before, what day in June are you having the MRI? is there a way to make it sooner? I would start seeking surgeon's opinions to have enough time to make up your mind.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I 'suspect' you may have experienced an "exercised induced case of Atrial Fibrilation". If/when it happens again, it would be useful if you could 'run' (OK, drive) to your Cardio / PCP / ER to have it captured on an EKG for positive identification.

It would also be useful to buy an inexpensive Stethoscope so that you can actually listen to your heartbeat during these episodes and provide a more descriptive explanation of the rhythm and rate.

There are several types of medications which can control most heart arrhythmias once properly identified.

Regarding your aneurism, I wonder if you had a Bicuspid Aortic Valve prior to your Ross Procedure? The reason I ask is that Connective Tissue Disorders are often associated with BAV. This is why I advise BAV patients to have their aorta checked out before they undergo Valve Replacement surgery so that both issues can be addressed at the same time (in one surgery).

You may also want to contact your Surgeon for his assessment on when to get your aneurism repaired/replaced.

'AL Capshaw' (I am NOT a medical professional, just another 'heart patient'.)

Oh my! Many more responses. I sure appreciate everyone on this forum.

Funny you should mention "exercise induced case of A-fib" since I played ball last night, and when I tried to run those bases...my heart was going absolutely MAD.
I have been trying to keep track of my BPM when my heart goes nuts like that (and when it does that in the morning). I have figured that my resting rate is about 60 bpm, but sometimes when I get up in the morning it will soar up to 120 BPM.

Last night's running around felt much the same. I didn't have my nerdy BPM watch on though.

I did have a Bicuspid Aortic Valve. I don't think I have a connective tissue disorder - that has never even occurred to me.

My MRI is scheduled for June 1. Appointment with cardiologist is scheduled for June 10. I was to see him before (on May 22) but I wanted it moved so that I could just get all the info at once (In the past month I've had an echo and a holter after I complained about all the heart racing, etc.)

My cardio has been in touch with my surgeon - his "max size" before repair is 5.0. Cardiologist's "max size" is more like 5.5...but since I want to have kids sometime soon I'd rather not wait, thanks very much!

So it all hinges on what Mr. MRI has to say on June 1. VERY nervous.

Thanks for the advice everyone. If anyone has further thoughts, please let me know!

Melissa

Melissa -

Until you develop symptoms (such as rupture or disection), I don't think you would know if you have a Connective Tissue Disorder. FWIW, there is a fairly high correlation between BAV and CTD (see the BAV and CTD Forum for LOTS of info on those issues).

You need to know that Cardiologists (especially "Old School" Cardiologists) like to postpone surgery until symptoms (i.e. signs of DAMAGE) appear and sometimes even prefer to wait until the 'last gasp' before recommending surgery.

Surgeons OTOH, like to get in and FIX the Problem, BEFORE there is Permanent Damage. When it comes to problems that can only be fixed by Surgery, I think it is best to get the opinion of one or more Surgeons (DUH!). Basically, once a Cardiologist has diagnosed a (surgical) problem, there's not much he can do to treat that problem (beyond medication in an attempt to slow the progresssion).

Talk to a Surgeon. The Sooner, the Better.

There's nothing Magic about 5.5 or even 5.0 cm.
I expect there is a "Bell Curve" distribution of number of aneurism ruptures /disections versus size at failure. It's all a matter of statistics.

(Did you know that Ross' aneurism ruptured at 4.7 cm?)

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks AL...

Cardiologists and surgeons are definitely a different breed. I'm more on side with erring on the side of caution. So when I get the results of the MRI next month - I'll likely be pushing for surgery if the aneurysm has grown any further. Get it done and move on.

I have been researching the timing of surgery for aneurysms...it seems that 5.0 cm is the "magic number", though stats don't always hold true for everyone, just look at Ross...

What worries me is that my aneurysm had grown to 4.8 cm from 3.9 cm in a matter of six months. And it was another 6 months before I even found out about it. And then another month until I got started on beta blockers. So I think to myself - honestly, how can it not have gotten past 5.0 cm by now?

That seems pessimistic, but I think I am trying to be realistic, and face the fact that surgery is likely looming. Oh well. Got to take the good with the bad, I suppose.

Thanks all for your thoughts, advice and opinions. They are VERY helpful.

Melissa

I had some of the same symptoms pre-surgery and for a while....I did have an aneurism when they opened me up. Doc said it was a good thing I had elected for quick surgery. Doc called me a walking time bomb.

I am not trying to scare you, but you do need to get in quick.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, stop doing anything strenuous right now and see if you can't get that procedural stuff done much sooner. I have alarm bells going off in my head.

Thanks everyone.

I have been doing some thinking about this and have decided that when I go to see my cardio to get MRI results, I will push to get this taken care of if the aneurysm has grown at all (because it doesn't have far to go before it gets to that magic 5.0)
Obviously nobody wants to have more surgery, me included, but I think it would be the best and safest thing.
Sigh.
I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks for all your input.

If the HR is fast and regular it can also be SVT..... It does come on quick and can be quite alarming.
I'm on a Beta blocker, Metoprolol, and I've found that when I wake up, even before getting out of bed, I take my morning pill with some water.
My pillbox is waiting for me beside my bed with a water bottle.
I don't even attempt to take a shower until my pill has taken effect.
Maybe that would also help you out in the mornings....?

I also get episodes during the night, like after a scary dream.
Sometimes the HR is only high for several minutes, while other times it races on too long,
and I take 1/4 of my BB pill to slow it down so that I can continue sleeping.

Hopefully you will get some answers soon, I guess it will be in 3 weeks after the MRI.
Can you hold off on the baseball until then?
Best wishes, be careful.

Hi Melissa,

I don't know if heart racing and aneurysms are related. Your fast heart rate must be distressing, especially considering that you are on a beta blocker and it also happens in the morning when you have been resting. Since my surgery the same thing happens to me in the mornings and I'm also on a beta blocker. My heart rate doesn't go nearly as high as yours. For me it is linked to problems with anxiety, it's become a daily occurrence and usually is at it's worst when I first wake up. I don't know if anxiety plays a role for you or not, I'm just throwing it out there.

Since you have already gone through two heart surgeries I can understand not being eager for another one. OHS is not a trivial matter. However, erring on the side of caution is a good idea in this matter. If the aneurysm cannot be managed/controlled then surgery becomes the course of treatment. I think you are wise to point out how quickly your aneurysm has progressed. An aneurysm growing from 3.9 cm to 4.8 cm in six months doesn't sound like control. If it becomes clear that surgery is pretty much inevitable, and you are other wise healthy, then it seems to me there's an advantage to having surgery sooner rather than later, "later" includes risking something bad happening in the meantime.

As Al said, having had a BAV and now an aortic aneurysm fits with having Connective Tissue Disorder. I had a BAV, an aortic aneurism and a sinus of valsalva aneurism. My surgeon told me about the link between BAV and CTD. Although he never said I have CTD his point was it's very common for these to go together probably due to genetics. I don't know how they diagnose CTD, or how often they even try. There's the possibility that CTD has played a role in the formation of your aneurism and I wonder if it's involved in the rapid rate of progression. I also wonder if you are making choices which contribute to the progression. i.e., leave the ball playing and racing around the bases for another time... in the future... you know, the one that you want to have?!! Take care, keep in touch.

If the HR is fast and regular it can also be SVT..... It does come on quick and can be quite alarming.
I'm on a Beta blocker, Metoprolol, and I've found that when I wake up, even before getting out of bed, I take my morning pill with some water.
My pillbox is waiting for me beside my bed with a water bottle.
I don't even attempt to take a shower until my pill has taken effect.
Maybe that would also help you out in the mornings....?

I also get episodes during the night, like after a scary dream.
Sometimes the HR is only high for several minutes, while other times it races on too long,
and I take 1/4 of my BB pill to slow it down so that I can continue sleeping.

Hopefully you will get some answers soon, I guess it will be in 3 weeks after the MRI.
Can you hold off on the baseball until then?
Best wishes, be careful.

Bina, won't it be helpful in such a case to take the beta blocker before going to bed?! so you heart rests during the night and won't speed up on wake up.!!

Yes Eva, I take some before bed too......in fact I take Meto 3 times per day.
We don't have the extended release version of Meto, so I do what I have to do to keep my HR in a decent range.
Lopressor is available in once a day pills, but only in 100 mg, which is too much for me.

Yes Eva, I take some before bed too......in fact I take Meto 3 times per day.
We don't have the extended release version of Meto, so I do what I have to do to keep my HR in a decent range.
Lopressor is available in once a day pills, but only in 100 mg, which is too much for me.

I should have known better that you are smart enough, dear Bina, to do the right thing. Good luck and I hope those episodes will come to a stop one day!

Latest posts

Back