Having surgery in about 1 week.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catfan

Hi we are new to the site. My husband found out about 3 yrs ago we would some day need AVR surgery. He is 44 and was running and exercising like crazy until a week ago found out it had progressed and now needs surgery. He has no symptoms but echo shows its time. How long do you stay in the hospital if everything goes as planned.

Welcome to the site. Hospital stay, if everything goes as planned, can be as little as 4-5 days. I had a minor glitch with my kidneys being lazy and was in the hospital for seven days, got home and went into post-op A-fib/A-flutter (not uncommon) and had to go back into the hospital for three more days to be put on a certain temporary medication for that.

Hoping all goes well for you husband. And BTW, there are no dumb questions here so ask away :)

Thanks. He has a heart cath tuesday and then they will set date for surgery some time next week. I am a cardiac rehab nurse so I deal with open heart surgery patients all the time, but all nurse knowledge goes out the window when it's your own family. He is very positive and upbeat. We are ready to get this going. This site has been very helpful and comforting.

Positive and upbeat -- that's excellent!

And I recall how very glad I was when I first found this site too :)

I'll keep you both in my thoughts. Sometimes having a medical background and knowing more things can be tougher, when it is a loved one. As Lily said 4-5 days seems to be about ave, if you don't have any complications. It may take and extra day or so if you are on coumadin and they are waiting to get your INR in range. Ask away, I'm sure questions will be popping into your head all the time now, I usually have most of mine in the middle of the night, so its nice to have a place like this that someone is usually online most of the time.
Do they normaly get you in so soon when they decide it is time there? I could see where that is good and bad, not as much time to worry, but a rush to get things ready ect.

We were lucky to get to see a surgeon early. They called him on Friday and we saw him on Wed. I guess it's moving fast but we are glad to get it done so we don't have to worry as long. The cardiologist says we need to get this done so he doesn't damage his heart. We are going with mechanical since he is young. He has a bicuspid aortic valve.

Hi Catfan,

Glad you found us! If everything goes well, with no complications, should be appox 5 to 7 days. Please keep us udated, and feel free to ask any other questions.

With the screen name "catfan", you must follow Kansas State. I am a "catfan" too.....University of Kentucky.

Your husband is lucky to have a cardiac rehab nurse to take care of him....and the choice of a mechanical valve certainly lessens the chances of a Reop down the road....and as your cardio said, get it done before heart damage is done.

Glad you are here. Your rehab advice will come in handy.

Thanks for all the well wishes. It's great to have this site. To Dick 0236 we are avid Kansas State fans. Hope to get him well before basketball season so we can get to all the games. We watched your wildcats beat us in Vegas a few years ago. Best of luck to your Kentucy Wildcats. We like to watch all NCAA games.

Good luck to you and your husband. I went to hospital on a Sunday, op (AVR) was next day and I was home by tea time on the Friday. Sounds like your husband is an active guy and I'm sure he'll do just fine. Do let us know how it goes.

Good Luck to you and your husband. I had a Uni-cuspid Valve with a Aortic Anyurism. I recieved a mechanical Valve. The surgeon told me before hand that he could get me out of the hospital in little as 4 days but that I would be in the hospital for 7 days. He wanted to make sure my INR levels were straight before releasing me so he kept. I had a battle with A-Fib but even with that I was out in the 7 days. Entered on a Wednesday July 14th and was released July 21st.

Welcome! It sounds as if your hubby is in good physical condition. That will help him recover more quickly. The surgeon estimated 9 days in hospital for me post avr, based on my prior medical history, but I got out on day 7. 12 days post now, and I'm doing fantastically. It helps being on the healthier side before surgery.
Keep us posted!

I am 46. I had my AVR 7/27/10 and was released on 8/2. I am an avid bicyclist and was/am in great shape. Tomorrow is 4 weeks post-op and today I am at the office for the first time. I believe that being in shape ahead of time pays off. 12 years ago, I was not in as good shape and recovery took longer.

Tell you husband we wish him well. He will be fine.

I am off to take a nap so I can finish the work day.

Welcome Aboard Catfan !

Since your husband has BAV you might want to browse through the BiCuspid Aortic Valve and Connective Tissue Disorder (CTD)Forum for lots of pertinent information. It would be good for your husband to rule out CTD and possible aortic aneurysm(s) which are often related to BAV. A Chest CT or MRI are the Gold Standards for checking for Aortic Aneurysms.

You may also want to browse through the Valve Selection Forum to learn more about the different Valve Options.
Mechanical Valves are made by ATS, Carbomedics, On-X, and St. Jude Medical. As an engineer, I am impressed with the technological advances offered by On-X (see www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com). The St. Jude Master's Series has the longest track record, having originated in the early 1980's. See www.sjm.com

Many of our members highly recommend Cardiac Rehab, typically 6 weeks or so after surgery.

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back