Got the final call

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnff2

Hi all. I just got a call from my surgeon with my cath results, and confirming what the cardiologist told me yesterday. He said we should proceed as scheduled on Friday. The cath showed my gradient went up to 100 with the stress of medication. So my obstruction is significant. Good news is the aortic valve does not have to be replaced. He is planning on just removing the sub aortic membrane and shave some tissue around the opening under the valve to open it up. We did talk about what type of valve just is case...

I think I'm in disbelief or denial again...I feel like I want to ask him all kinds of questions and discuss this further, but I don't know other what questions to ask...and I think I have all my answers. I think I was deep down hoping for a way out and now it is 110% a go.

Thanks for letting me get this off my mind...makes me feel better.
Kerri

Hi Kerri,

Pound away on your keyboard anytime you want. The time prior to sugery is tough on everyone. Your surgery is next friday?

Hi Kerri,

Pound away on your keyboard anytime you want. The time prior to sugery is tough on everyone. Your surgery is next friday?

Thanks...yes surgery is Fri Nov 20th. Guess that's 1 week from today isn't it...

Kerri some relief in having the date final,you and I read, Luana also
will be in my prayers for 20th you are almost there and get lots of
rest before your date.in my thoughts and prayers girls..God Bless

Thanks for all the prayers...I know both Luana and I will be in good hands. It is kind of nice actually sharing the surgery day with someone...Thanks Luana!

Tomorrow being the 1st day of the week of my surgery makes it feel so much more real. I figured out since the phone call last night that I'm not scared of the surgery anymore. I know I'm going to be fine. I am now going crazy about handling all the stupid stuff, like not showering, not washing my hair, not shaving my legs all the Iv's, foley, chest tube and things. I vividly remember my chest tube being removed 23 yrs ago...asnd I'm not looking forward to the repeat event...but I have a plan...PAIN meds first...so I think I'm ready. I know in reality I probably won't even care about all these things but I'm the type of person who doesn't go out of the house without having make up on and her hair done. BUT today I went to an event for about 2 hrs in my sweat outfit...I have made progress already!

I have decided I am going to sit back and let the drs and nurses do the job that they do everyday. I know I am good at what I do everyday and I know they are good at what they do...taking care of patients...and I will have faith that they will do their job on Friday just as I would if it were me taking care of one of my patients.

I think I'm there...am I really there? Have I really come to terms with this??? I think maybe I have. Now to stay "there" till Friday...

Kerri

Kerri, relax a little. I suspect that a lot has changed in 23 years. My memories are fresh enough that I have not forgotten the after surgery routine. I cannot say that removing tubes and all was comfortable but it wasn't painful. The nurses took a lot of care with those things. I found that talking with the nurses about what I was feeling or what was happening helped a lot. They were quite willing to explain things. My most uncomfortable time resulted from gas which caused blotting and once I drew the nurse's attention to it they were able to give me something to help with it. For what its worth, I, too, felt very anxious before surgery only to find that my fears were overblown. Remind yourself that surgery is not the bad thing that is happening to you then try to focus on the benefits your surgery will bring. Most of us here only have a future because of it.[/SIZE]

Kerri
I had my surgery 8 weeks ago and all the same fears you do. I thought the cath in the neck would hurt.It didnt hurt while it was in or when they took it out.The nurse just applied some pressure to my neck for a short time.I have 2 stomach tubes and after they cut the stitch they almost fell out-no pain.When they took the pacer wires out there was a little discomfort but, really not bad.(they were longer than I thought they would be).I got 2 pressure sores on my bottom in surgery and they hurt by far worse than any of the pain associated with the surgery.I had some problems during surgery that let to them and you wont experience that.You will do fine.

Wishing you the very best outcome on your upcoming surgery. The waiting is the worse but the day will be here sooner than you think.

We're all here to support you & help see you thru this.

Godspeed!

Kerri,
Thank you! I'm glad to be your same-day-surgery buddy. I will be going to the hospital at 6 a.m, Pacific time, which I guess you're on Central time, will be 8 a.m. for you. What time is your surgery scheduled for? I was told 8, but that it would probably be more like 9 when it actually starts. Anyway, I will be thinking of you and have you in my prayers and you will probably be well on your way before I even get started.

I can sure relate to your last post. My fears don't seem to be related to the surgery, or possibility of pain, or anything I can seem to put a finger on; I guess it's more of the unknown and just the whole idea of being in the hospital gives me the creeps.

I've never had heart surgery before though I did have back surgery for a herniated disc 20 years ago, and didn't think that was a bad ordeal. I started refusing pain medication after I was taken off of the IVs; it just made me feel too fuzzy.

I will hope and pray for you and everyone else going through anything similar, that the surgeries go well and recovery is smooth.

My prayers are with both of you and good vibes are being sent that the post surgery will be a breeze! I can imagine you would be nervous - but I"m glad it's not of the surgery itself. Just try to think of the long term and how you are going to be feeling so much better.

Godspeed!

Rhena

I thought I was relaxing...I just don't like the idea of all that stuff, makes me loose my control over things, confining me. BUT it's all going to work itself out in the end...I know that. Its just the nurse in me...just not supposed to be me, but it is and what has to be will be. So I think I am relaxing...if these "stupid" things are my focus I think I'm doing better...

Luana, I go in for 515am CST, I think my actual OR time is 7am..my MD is an early bird, my first appointment to even see him was at 615am before he went into surgery, and I live an hour from the hospital. Early mornings for me, but at least we miss the Chicago traffic. Don't let the hospital creep you out they can actually be a fun place...as long as I'm on the other side of the bed. LOL

Thanks for all the support and prayers.
Kerri

Last edited:
Kerri,
I was born and grew up in the Chicago area. Dad's family was from Cicero and we grew up in western suburbs.

Hospitals are not as bad now as they were when I was a kid. I was at the University of Chicago Children's Hospital when I had rheumatic fever. My mom kept taking me to the doctor who kept saying to her, "There's nothing wrong with her," despite the fact I was as limp as a rag doll. One morning she put a blanket and pillow in the back seat of the car, scooped me out of bed, still in my nightgown, put me in the back seat, covered me up and drove to the hospital. I was admitted right away.

It was 1961, and the stay there was so awful. It was like something out of the dreary bleak side of Charles Dickens. There were no call buttons for the nurse. You had to yell for one, and if you were lucky enough to be heard one might show up in around 20 minutes. There was no tv and certainly no phone; I was in a room alone and was told to not get out of bed for anything. I'd be plunked down on a bedpan after waking up in the morning and had to sit on it for a long time before someone came to take me off of it. There was a constant stream of doctors who would come in my room and examine me. They never talked to me or even made an attempt to greet me. If I was eating when they showed up, they'd push my tray table aside, go about their business and leave and leave the tray table too far for me to reach it to finish the meal. It wouldn't have been worth the effort to yell for a nurse because the food when it got to me was cold and by the time one would arrive, it would have been even colder. I know this sounds kind of like the dark ages and at the time it sure felt like it. I'm glad things are much better now, but that's a bitter memory that's still fresh.

For all the bad stuff, there were 3 very bright spots. One, since it was Dec and getting close to Christmas, one of my aunts sent me a box of Christmas cookies in the mail. When I opened the box, they had all fallen apart into crumbs. No problem! Saved a spoon off the lunch tray that day and happily ate a few spoonfuls of crumbs for several days. Two, every day I got tons of mail! Every kid from school and in the neighborhood and all my cousins were always sending me cards. Every day I had mail to open and read and feel good about. And, three, one day when a group of doctors came in, one doctor looked at my name, looked at me, and said something to me in Greek. I must have lit up like a Christmas tree! I was so happy to hear the language again and that someone realized I was a person. I said something back to him in Greek and just about fell in love with him; he was young and very nice looking. He came to see me a few times after that, to say hi, and it truly warmed my heart. My only regret is that I have no idea what his name was. I've thought of him from time to time as I got older and would have loved to be able to find him and send him a thank you note for giving me a few bright moments in an otherwise pretty yucky experience.

Whew, I digressed quite a bit! Anyway, I will be waking up on Friday around 6:30 your time, so I will be sure to be thinking of you and of course, sending more prayers.

Luana,

I guess you had an experience you'll never forget...just remember the good parts and that is not that way today. Things are so very different even since I had my surgery. Hospitals care way too much on their patient satisfaction scores now days. Its amazing the memories we have allowed to surface with all of this. My heart surgery 23yrs ago (1986) is a big part of why I am a nurse. I told my mom while in the hospital recovering that I was going to be a nurse someday and work at that that hospital...and I did. Guess my experience was much better than yours. That was at Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood. Which is where I am having this surgery too. I actually worked with the surgeon that is doing my surgery. We live about 40 miles south of Chicago. But I have worked downtown and all over the Chicago area and suburbs. Small world isn't it...

I'm so glad to know we will be thinking of each other on Friday morning. You'll still be tucked in your bed hopefully having good dreams when I am arriving at the hospital...but I will sure send some prayers your way...

Can't believe Monday is almost over already. I have pre-op testing tomorrow morning. Then should be set for Friday, except for getting a pedicure. Just going to pamper myself a little on Thurs...get my mind off things.

Talk to you soon,
Kerri

Kerri,
I'm so glad that you were inspired to be a nurse. When I had endocarditis in 1987, I had a nurse whom I'll always remember. She was just the best and did so much to make things better for me.

I'll be waking up on Friday about a half-hour before your scheduled surgery. I'll have my friend Marilyne, who is going to stay at the hospital until I'm out of surgery, say prayers for you, too.

Luana

Best of luck to both of you.. Kerri & Luana!! :D I'll be saying a prayer for both of you on Friday.. update us when you can!

Back