Gil, 10 days post op (hee-hee)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyguy17

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
well not real pretty :eek2: and definately not small, but functional, so what the heck:p

sorry the tawdriess shirt i own:wink2:

Attachments

• 2010-05_27 001..jpg
    2010-05_27 001..jpg
    76 KB · Views: 36
Jim,

Staples come out this afternoon, in a few hours.

in my case 4 large drain holes, still healing, from inside out.

suspect i may get further relief from the staple removal and once fully healed on drains, but it looks worst than it feels

Gil

Not sure, seems common up here in our cardiac center, bypass patients had it on chest and legs, will inquire from nurse today at staple removal, as to why, maybe cheaper and faster as our operations are covered by medicare?

possibly method used for older patients (50+), i do know of a 37 year old male that had a glue or something for closure vs. staples, but he may have requested it

Looking good Gil, and I'm sure it'll look/feel even better once you get those staples out. Now I know why they call it the "zipper club" lol. I didn't have staples (had glue) so didn't get to see the full zipper effect. Is that chest hair just since surgery, or did they not shave ya??? I'm still pretty much just in the peach fuzz stage, and I'm a week or so ahead of you!

I had stitches, so it's not a traditional Canadian thing.

Gil you must find a better shirt :biggrin2: Good Luck with the removal this afternoon - which is almost pretty soon right?

You'll have to post an "after" picture when you get home

Cheers Mate

ok, ok, will try to find a more tawdry shirt for next posting

so Freddie has confirmed that western Canadian cuties do not get the staples (grin), maybe reserved for old foggies like me (further grin), do know the 37 male that got glue last week was verrrry gay, but a really nice guy (no offence Andy - smile)...the glue may have been a requst of his love life and live in partner...also really nice guy

I had staples the first time, and had the wound closed by cautery the second time.

The staples had their drawbacks (although they absolutely make the most authentic "zippers"), but I found they were much better at holding the tissue together. They kept it "pinned" to the breastbone as it healed, rather than allowing it to pull away. It does hurt a little getting them out, but it's not a big deal. I told my surgeon I want the staples again next time.

The staples aren't the thing that concerns me, though...

In looking carefully at your picture, it definitely seems that they neglected to replace your head after the surgery. I would definitely go back to the surgeon about this, and see if they've left it lying about somewhere. It's best to have it put back, if possible. Even though they're not of much use these days, they are really still necessary in most places for social acceptance, and I've found it's the only reasonable place to keep your hair and teeth.

Have a good and swift recovery,

Good luck with the staple removal. Hope it goes easily.
My incisions were glued both surgeries.... glue and then surgistrips. Made for a clean, neat scar.

I had three drainage tubes my first surgery but FOUR my second. :eek: I always meant to ask why so many but never did.
Those scars are barely visible now, two years later.

OMG am I glad that I decided to log in this afternoon.....y'all are having a party without me.
So, are you calling me an old bag? I had surgery at the same hospital, was 46 years old and I got the freaking staples too. :(
Had I known how awful they were, I would have ordered something else.
Definitely the very worst thing on the planet, and YES it hurts when the nurse is removing them and they are kinda stuck to the meat.
Holy Moly, I yelled (for effect), and made her stop a few times so that I could catch my breath.
Then some very lovely steri strips were applied and those were much better. :)

OMG am I glad that I decided to log in this afternoon.....y'all are having a party without me.
So, are you calling me an old bag? I had surgery at the same hospital, was 46 years old and I got the freaking staples too. :(
Had I known how awful they were, I would have ordered something else.
Definitely the very worst thing on the planet, and YES it hurts when the nurse is removing them and they are kinda stuck to the meat.
Holy Moly, I yelled (for effect), and made her stop a few times so that I could catch my breath.
Then some very lovely steri strips were applied and those were much better. :)

Oh no Bina,
We would never call you an old bag, but this staple thing must be a French Canadian thing lol

LOL, Ok, tawdry shirt on and no headshot, or no shirt with headshot, your choice, but it ain't gonna be both...LOL

I vote for No Shirt with head shot :cool2:

Well ladies you will be disappointed (grin)...nothing to see for next 10 days

Firstly, my nurse who removed staples must have been pushing 90 (LOL), shortage of nurses in our area, but she was nice, experienced and efficient.
Each of the 54 staples was an individual process, tug right, tug left, pull out..., but it was a small pinching discomfort for most, only about a 20 minute process overall
Yep staples are common in our area, nurse claims less scaring, better closure and faster healing, with staples (or maybe it is their way at getting back at a french canadian?
Following removal of staples, streri stips applied hiding incision completely for next several days.
So funny that they let it breathe a few days post op, then cover it after that, for day 10-20...go figure?

yep Andy, that is my chest post shave, will trade you my fur for your pecs (smile)
yep they reattached head and teeth yesterday, so there will be a pic of that sort in next week or so, but tawdry shirt now seems to be becoming an option
4 drain holes?, but no infection, so guess they know what they are doing

Gil

Gil - here's the tip of the day. My "fur" (which hardly qualifies as such compared to yours) is getting a little longer now and when I went back to cardio rehab today, pulling those pads off hurt like an SOB. You might wanna think about shaving again before you begin rehab, if you haven't already. Maybe they do it different up there in Canada, eh, but I go 3 times a week and have a portable ekg type machine on me while walking on treadmill / biking. And those pads are getting painful to rip off afterwards - so I'm gonna shave the "fur" (or maybe more accurately - long peach fuzz) back down again.

Latest posts

Back