Frustrated with Alberta Provincial health care system

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BD, as you have learned, talking to a sales rep will get you some basic facts or stats which are probably skewed, and
best taken with a grain of salt. There have been endless studies posted on the net and many of them here as well, but
I think that most of us go with our "gut" feeling when it comes right down to the final choice, if indeed we have
a choice at all.
When the weather warms up try camping out in front of the hospital after you have tipped off the local press. ;)

Hey Bina

Your closing sentence of the first paragraph hits closer to home as I strive to, "get what I want". Waaay deep down inside, I know I will, "get what they got".

Both you and brother bigsidster will both have me pulling a publicity stunt in the emerg. If I go that route, I'm arranging the 911 limo!

Sorry to hear, I had issues in Toronto. It took months to see the surgeon and get a date. Once the date was booked it was clear sailing, well except for the actual surgery of course! You may have to rattle a few cages at the hospital. Go to the hospital administration and ask for answers in Ontario they have a person that deals with unusual situations like yours but you may have to dig to find them. Do you have a spouse that can help yo with this?
best wishes and keep us posted

Thx doberman

I don't know if the administration can help, as my surgeon is the acting program director. Hence, he's the man.

Sometimes there's an ombudsman who can help, either the Provincial Government ombudsman or a health-system ombudsman or maybe a hospital ombudsman. Mind you the one in Calgary may have switched to an unlisted number! ;)

Hey Norm

Greg A and yourself are proposing the ombudsman route. I wonder how the surgeon would take it when he is approached by the ombudsman office?

Hey Norm

Greg A and yourself are proposing the ombudsman route. I wonder how the surgeon would take it when he is approached by the ombudsman office?
Your complaint relates to the system NOT an individual copy your MP and MLA as well as federal and provincial Ministers of health

Remember the federal gov't does transfer payments to the provinces so cover all the bases

Well, Echo on Nov.2 w\ 0.78cm... What month is it now..Feb, phone the surgeon Monday last week and the ICU beds were full, call next week, if you have issues go to the hospital. Went to the Hospital and was told I maybe depressed. You think, a close family member died on Tuesday from a massive heart attack at the age of 35. Over paid A-type personality prick, sudden death is pretty depressing and very unexceptable. if we do not complain about chest pains - No Surgery for you. I do not need empathy, I need surgery.
Some stat's, in Canada we pay over $1500 a year for every man women and child in taxes toward health care. 1 in every 3 tax dollars goes to healthcare.
I want what I paid for in advance now, it is sad that I will have wait until I have a serious problem before I get help.:frown2:

Last edited:
Good luck, folks.

Bdryer, if there is an ombudsman available to you, and (s)he agrees to look into your case, I would actually NOT immediately follow Greg's advice to complain to the feds and your elected officials at the same time.

I think Greg is 100% right, that your beef, and your escalation to an ombudsman or elsewhere, is not a reflection on your surgeon's skill or competence or professionalism, etc. But he can't do more in a day than he can do, and the system is obviously busted if it's making you wait this long when your pros (including your surgeon) have told you that you should get the surgery in January, if not sooner.

But IF you start getting a hearing from an ombudsman, I WOULD be concerned that you might undermine that approach by looking as if you're handing out fliers on the street, complaining to anybody and everybody. If you get a meeting with an ombuds-type, you could always ask that person whether it would be wise, or advisable, to approach the other officials Greg listed. Of course, if there's no ombuds, or they put you on hold or hang up, then of course go to plan C (or whatever that'll be)!

I also wouldn't rule out contacting a health reporter, or a human-interest reporter, or the "Tell it to Joe" consumer-support reporter at your local paper, if the ombud approach doesn't bear fruit fast. Now that some of them have seen the Barbara Walters special (and I've posted a link to it that seems to work in Canada), they may be primed to follow up on a local patient. . .

MY LAST POST WAS

and that leads to THIS

Health care service concerns
Resolving concerns within Alberta's health system
Health Link Alberta
*Health Link Alberta can help you find appropriate services and health information. Health Link is a telephone advice and health information service, staffed with highly trained registered nurses and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Calgary: 403-943-5465;
Edmonton: 780-408-5465;
Toll-Free: 1-866-408-LINK (5465).
Alberta’s health care system offers a wide variety of services at different venues of care*. Occasionally, patients or their family members have concerns or complaints about service, treatment or how decisions were made. The first avenue is to address your concern directly with the service provider(s) or organization(s) involved.

Depending on the nature of the concern and the service in question, you can also discuss your concern with other bodies, the professional association to which the health professional is a member, or Alberta’s Ombudsman. The areas of concern list below has contact information to organizations which can help address your concerns or complaints, or provide you with confidential assistance.

Concerns about suspected criminal acts related to health care services should be taken to the police. Concerns about injuries or disputes related to care in the health system may also be taken to the Courts.

Areas of concern
Abuse
Alberta Blue Cross Drug Plan
Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan
Alberta's health system
Alberta's Ombudsman
Ambulance services
Care in a hospital or nursing home
Caregivers' private offices, clinics or facilities
Communicable disease and other public health matters
– Public Health Appeal Board
Government of Alberta health benefits or assistance programs
Alberta Health Services facilities or programs
Health information and privacy
Health professionals conduct and competence
Mental health services
Out-of-Country health services
Products, drugs and devices
Unexpected or unexplained deaths
Worker's Compensation Board funded health Sservices
Worksite health and safety
Abuse
If you have a question or concern about possible abuse of an adult in the care of a hospital, nursing home, seniors’ lodge, group home, personal care home, shelter or day program, you can report this to the Protection for Persons in Care Reporting Line administered by Alberta Seniors and Community Supports. Call Toll-Free: 1-888-357-9339.

If you have a question or concern about possible abuse or neglect of a child, you can report this to the Child Abuse Hotline or Alberta Children and Youth Services.

Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-387-5437 (this line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
Alberta Children and Youth Services
Telephone: 780-422-2001 Edmonton Area
Toll-Free: 310-0000, then ask the operator to connect you to the Child and Family Services Authority in your area.
If the incident involves a health care professional, you may report it directly to the governing body of the health care professional. (See the Health Professionals Conduct and Competence section to find contact information.)

Alberta Blue Cross Drug Plan
If you have a question or concern about the Alberta government-sponsored Alberta Blue Cross drug plan, please contact:

Alberta Blue Cross
Telephone: 780-498-8000 Edmonton Area
403-234-9666 Calgary Area
Toll-Free: 1-800-661-6995
Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan
If you have a question or concern about coverage under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan, including: eligibility, registration, claims, billing inquiries or premium assistance, please contact:

Alberta Health and Wellness
Telephone: 780-427-1432 Edmonton Area
Toll-Free: 310-0000 followed by 780-427-1432
Fax: 780-422-0102
Email: [email protected]
Alberta’s health system
You may contact Alberta Health and Wellness for any matter related to Alberta’s health system:

Telephone: 780-427-7164 Edmonton Area
Toll-Free: 310-0000 followed by 780-427-7164
Alberta Ombudsman
If you have a question or concern about the fairness of how your complaint was handled, you may contact the Alberta Ombudsman. The Ombudsman conducts independent investigations into written complaints from individuals who believe they have been treated unfairly by:

The provincial government, its departments, agencies, boards or commissions;
The patient concerns resolution process of Alberta Health Services;
Professional colleges proclaimed under the Health Professions Act.
Investigators are available Monday through Friday from 8:15 a.m.– 12 p.m. and 1 – 4:30 p.m. You may also complete an on-line complaint form at www.ombudsman.ab.ca/ and then select the “Making a Complaint” button. This service is provided free of charge.

Head Office
Suite 2800, 10303 Jasper Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 5C3
Telephone: 780-427-2756
Toll-Free: 310-0000 followed by 780-427-2756
Regional Office
Suite 2560, 801 – 6 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2P 3W2
Telephone: 403-297-6185
Fax: 403-297-5121

Ambulance services
If you have a question or concern about care received in an ambulance, you should first discuss it with the ambulance operator. The next step is to contact Alberta Health Servces, which is responsible for the ambulance program. You may also contact the Registrar responsible for licensing ambulance operators:

Telephone: 780-422-9654 Edmonton Area
Toll-Free: 310-0000 followed by 780-422-9654
Fax: 780-422-0134
If you have concerns about billing by an ambulance operator, contact Alberta Health Services.

Alberta Health Services Patient Advocates
Edmonton, Northern and Central Alberta
Doug Phillips
Telephone: 780-496-1533
Calgary and Southern Alberta
Janine Engelhardt
Telephone: 403-955-9608
Care in a hospital or nursing home
If you have a question or concern about care, treatment and/or standards of accommodation received by a patient in a hospital or resident in a nursing home, contact the Alberta Health Facilities Review Committee.

Caregivers’ private offices, clinics or facilities
If you have a question or concern about care received at a doctor’s or private practitioner’s office, clinic or facility (e.g. a non-hospital surgical facility), you should first discuss it with the doctor or practitioner. You may also contact the governing body of the health care professional. (See the Health Professionals Conduct and Competence information below to find contact information.)

Communicable disease and other public health matters
If you have a question or concern about communicable diseases, public health emergencies, environmental health or anything related to public health, you may contact the Medical Officer of Health of Alberta Health Services.

If you have a question or concern about a decision or order by a regional health authority, Medical Officer of Health or public health inspector under the Public Health Act or regulations, contact the Public Health Appeal Board.

Government of Alberta health benefits or assistance programs
If you have a question or concern about health benefits or assistance provided by other Government of Alberta Ministries, you should contact these departments directly. Alberta Health and Wellness can direct you to the appropriate department. All departments listed below can also be reached through the Alberta Government toll-free service: 310-0000, followed by the direct number listed.

Alberta Aids to Daily Living
Alberta Seniors and Community Supports
780-427-0731 Edmonton Area
Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped
780-415-6300 Edmonton Area
Alberta Child Health Benefit
Employment and Immigration
780-427-6848 Edmonton Area or Toll-Free: 1-877-469-5437
Accommodation standards for long-term care, lodge, assisted living or other private facility
780-422-0122 Edmonton Area
Income Support
780-644-5135 Edmonton Area or Toll-Free: 1-866-644-5135
Alberta Works
780-644-5135 Edmonton Area or Toll-Free: 1-866-644-5135
Alberta Health Services facilities or programs
If you have a question or concern about care you received in a hospital, nursing home, non-hospital surgical facility or community program administered by or under contract to Alberta Health Services, there are a number of places to turn. Concerns should first be discussed with the member of the care team who is most closely involved in your care, such as the nurse or doctor.

If not resolved, the next step is to contact the health authority’s Patient Concerns Officer who accepts all concerns and addresses or redirects people to other organizations authorized to address concerns. By law, a health authority must address all concerns that are brought forward by any individual regarding health services and other support services that are provided to, or sought by, patients.

Go to the Alberta Health Services website
Health information and privacy
If you have a question or concern about accessing or correcting health information or personal information held by a caregiver or organization in Alberta’s health system, the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner can help you. You may also contact the Commissioner for concerns about inappropriate collection, use and disclosure or management of health or personal information.

Edmonton
410, 9925 – 109 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5K 2J8
Telephone: 780-422-6860
Fax: 780-422-5682
Calgary
640 – 5th Avenue SW.
Calgary, AB T2P 3G4
Telephone: 403-297-2728
Fax: 403-297-2711
Either location toll-free: 1-888-878-4044 or e-mail: [email protected]

Health professional conduct and competence
If you have a question or concern about the care provided by a health professional you should first discuss it with the health professional or their direct supervisor. If this does not resolve the matter or your concerns are about the health professional’s conduct or competence, contact the health profession's governing body. The governing bodies ensure their members meet acceptable standards for competence and conduct, including ethical conduct. The governing bodies can also provide you with contact information for their members if you are having trouble finding a practitioner for services.

Read list of Alberta’s governing bodies of health professions
Mental health services
If you have a question or concern relating to patients who are or were involuntarily detained under the Mental Health Act, you may contact the Mental Health Patient Advocate. The Advocate can provide information on how to obtain legal counsel, apply to a Review Panel or the Court of Queen’s Bench, or deal with care-related concerns. The Advocate may also undertake an investigation of a formal patient’s complaint that could result in recommendations to the designated facility, officials or the Minister.

Read more about the Alberta Mental Health Patient Advocate
Out-of-country health services
If you have a question or concern about receiving specialized health services that cannot be obtained in Canada, please contact Alberta’s Out-of-Country Health Services Committee through Alberta Health and Wellness. The committee will determine if the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan will fund these services.

Attention: Out-of-Country Health Services Committee
PO Box 1360, Station Main
Edmonton, AB T5J 2N3
Telephone: 780-415-8744 Edmonton Area
Toll-Free: 310-0000 followed by 780-415-8744
Contact the Committee
Products, drugs and devices
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the safety of products, including drugs and devices used or prescribed in the health system, contact:

Health Canada
Address Locator 0900C2
Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9
Telephone: 613-957-2991
Toll-Free: 1-866-225-0709
TDD/TTY Toll-Free: 1-800-267-1245
Unexpected or unexplained deaths
If you have a concern relating to a death which occurred suddenly or cannot be explained, the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner could conduct an investigation. All such deaths in Alberta are investigated under the authority of the Fatality Inquiries Act. Medical Examiners determine the date, time and place of death, the circumstances under which a death occurred and the cause and manner of death.

A Medical Examiner, the next of kin of the deceased or anyone that the Chief Medical Examiner considers to be an interested party can request the Fatality Review Board to review findings and determine if a public fatality review should be held.

Chief Medical Examiner

Edmonton
7007 – 116 Street NW
Edmonton, AB
Telephone: 780-427-4987
Fax: 780-422-1265
Calgary
4070 Bowness Road NW
Calgary, AB
Telephone: 403-297-8123
Fax: 403-297-3429
Fatality Review Board Justice and Attorney General
Telephone: 403-297-8123
Fax: 403-297-3429
Workers’ Compensation Board funded health services
If you have a question or concern about health benefits for injuries sustained in the workplace, contact the Workers’ Compensation Board:

Telephone: 780-498-3999
Toll-Free: 1-866-922-9221
TDD/TTY: 780-498-7895
Worksite health and safety
If you have a question or concern about workplace health and safety, please contact Employment and Immigration, Worksite Health and Safety. Occupational Health and Safety Officials will investigate worksite incidents and hazards, including concerns about safety of radiation equipment or potential radiation exposure.

Worksite Health and Safety
Telephone: 780-415-8690 Edmonton Area
Toll-Free: 1-866-415-8690

TDD/TTY 780-427-9999 Edmonton Area
TDD/TTY Toll-Free: 1-800-232-7215

Fax: 780-422-3730

But an aricle SIMILAR to this can be found on page 32 of the November 2010 Readers Digest

This is from the FEDERAL waste watch group

AND so I would still let the MLA and MP be aware as you are doing this for yourself and others ...two on this site alone Jeff and Bruce politics is an outright incestuous business all arms are in the same bed

Health boss Duckett collects $149,000 in benefits

Critics cry foul amid declining care in Alberta

By Jason Fekete, Calgary Herald July 9, 2010

Alberta Health Services CEO Stephen Duckett collected $744,000 in total compensation last fiscal year -- including $149,000 in bonuses and other benefits -- during a year some wait lists grew and the superboard ran an $885-million deficit.

The release Thursday of AHS's financial statements for the 2009-10 fiscal year reveals about a dozen vice-presidents and other senior executives also received annual compensation each in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Health organizations and opposition parties said the bonuses paid to Duckett and his senior brass are exorbitant for an organization that can't balance its books and hasn't seen improvement on certain wait times and surgery queues.

Duckett was paid $595,000 in base salary, as well as $139,000 in other cash benefits (including bonuses, overtime and vacation payouts), and $10,000 in non-cash benefits that included contributions to a pension plan.

The superboard CEO was eligible for a bonus of about 25 per cent of his salary -- or $143,750 in direct bonus pay (dubbed pay-at-risk because it's contingent upon meeting performance targets).

He eventually received $76,619, or 53 per cent of it, based on meeting about half of his set targets -- but fell well short on improving access to the system.

The final bonus amount is determined by the AHS board.

"There's still some work to do. By and large, his performance has been satisfactory," said Health Minister Gene Zwozdesky.

" The board felt this was fair and adequate compensation."

To receive the bonus, Duckett and AHS must reach certain targets, such as reducing the number of patients waiting for hospital beds in the community and reducing emergency waiting times.

On the health board's goals of improving access and wait times (which is weighted for 40 per cent of his bonus), he received only 3.3 per cent.

The superboard failed to open as many acute-care beds as originally planned and didn't hit its targets for reducing wait times in emergency departments and for hip replacement surgeries.

Duckett was awarded 20 out of a possible 30 per cent of his bonus for improving quality of care, including meeting targets for developing an incident report system and establishing health advisory councils.

And on the sustainability side (which is contingent upon hitting budget targets, among others), he received 30 out of 30.

"Albertans are rightly outraged at some of the bonuses that are handed out in spite of the chaos that now exists in our health-care system," said Liberal Leader David Swann, a medical doctor.

There's no reason to be forking out bonuses to health executives who are simply doing their job, and a poor one at that, Swann said.

More than a half-dozen other vice-presidents received bonuses, ranging between about $26,000 and $82,000, for reaching about 64 per cent to 71 per cent of their targets.

Seven other vice-presidents and senior officials received total compensation of $400,000 or more last year, including the VP of quality and service improvement snaring $812,000 in base salary, cash benefits and other non-cash benefits.

AHS board chairman Ken Hughes and other board members weren't available for comment.

Health-care professionals and opposition critics said myriad problems in the health system over the last year should have made it nearly impossible for executives to earn a bonus.

Beyond AHS failing to meet many of its own targets, the agency ran a $885-million deficit last year.

Wait lists for long-term care have grown compared with two years ago, according to recent data.

Furthermore, access to cancer doctors and facilities has been at crisis levels in Calgary and Edmonton.

"How you get a bonus out of that kind of performance is beyond me," said the NDP's Rachel Notley.

Heather Smith, president of the United Nurses of Alberta, said many of her members would argue Duckett doesn't deserve much of a bonus -- if any.

Smith said the health board CEO has alienated nurses during his tenure and was responsible for many "covert layoffs" over the last year by not filling vacant positions.

Other notable findings from the AHS financial statements:

-Total costs to fight the H1N1 influenza outbreak were $58.7 million last fiscal year;

-AHS is named as a defendant in 379 legal claims totalling at least $1.3 billion.

Meanwhile, contracts for a previously announced cataract surgery blitz were unveiled by Zwozdesky on Thursday.

In May, the ministry said it would pump $2 million to fund 1,400 additional cataract surgeries.

Ophthalmologists said they were pleased by the announcement, which is expected to reduce a one-year wait-list for the procedure.

The contracts will enable additional clinics to perform the surgery. Five non-hospital facilities have been approved in Calgary.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/entert...cts+benefits/3253844/story.html#ixzz0tCx5pjXt

Great catches, Greg!

I'd probably start with the Alberta Health Services Patient Advocates, with the Ombudsman on speed-dial right behind. My knee-jerk is still to go in order, rather than all at once. Or maybe at least to let everybody know who (else) you're complaining to. E.g., I think I'd talk to my surgeon (or his assistant) to explain that you're planning to approach the Alberta Health Services Patient Advocates "to try to strengthen his hand at getting me scheduled for surgery soon", type thing. Again, you're not attacking your surgeon or the way he does his job, you're trying to get him (and yourself) more support from the system. . .

If you do complain simultaneously to the Provincial or Federal governments, I'd use the same approach, and discuss that with the surgeon's office and the Alberta Health Services Patient Advocates, etc. As if you're all teammates, trying to win the game to get your heart fixed. Definitely not opponents!

Latest posts

Back