Forum Manners?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During my 38 years in professional journalism, I have been a copy desk chief (managing and approving the work of a crew of copy editors), a layout artist, copy editor, reporter and writer. I now work in advertising. I learned years ago that all caps and even what we called Upstyle (Writing Like This, Like How Headlines Appear In The New York Times). Studies have proven that all caps and Upstyle are more difficult to read -- it's more difficult for the brain to "translate" what the eye sees. Liberal use of punctuation marks such as quotation marks -- unless needed, for example, for direct quotations or nicknames -- also slows down comprehension of written material. Certain punctuation marks stop the eye more than others.

When I get copy in all caps from customers, I refuse to accept it. It goes back to the customer to be retyped. In my line of advertising, we follow Associated Press style and lowercase many words that are sent in Upstyle.

That aside, an occasional word in all caps in e-mails or on a forum like this doesn't bother me -- it's either an acronym or used for emphasis. I ignore posts or e-mails in all caps.

By the way, I haven't been able to see the screen properly recently. I had my eyes tested and I'm now developing cataracts. Please don't get on me about spelling. Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

On many forums, if you forget that the caps are locked and innocently post something that way, all he-- breaks loose and so many members just pounce on the poster. You can tell from the content that it wasn't an argumentative post at all. Just a mistake, or as skeptic said, someone who has trouble seeing smaller letters.

To me, that it pretty poor online manners also, to criticize someone who just didn't have a clue.

If all caps are considered shouting, if someone types with no caps is that whispering? I think it's a shift-key thing for a lot of people who do either of those: they don't want to use it.

If all caps are considered shouting, if someone types with no caps is that whispering? I think it's a shift-key thing for a lot of people who do either of those: they don't want to use it.

Luana:

It's using your "indoor voice," like that commercial for the carpet steam cleaner. You know, the woman who runs a doggy day-care facility in her home and one dog is barking, and she says, "Use your indoor voice." BTW, what idiot would run a doggy day-care business in a home with carpeting?

Last edited:
By the way, I haven't been able to see the screen properly recently. I had my eyes tested and I'm now developing cataracts. Please don't get on me about spelling. Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

Ross:
I've had cataracts for at least 7 years. One of these days I'm sure the eye doc will say it's time.....

That's FUNNY about the caps. At the hospital in General Surgery, everything is typed in caps. EVERYTHING! I don't know why, that's just the way the hospital wants us to do it.

Telegrams and Military Communications (back in WW II and after) also used ALL CAPS.
I have no idea about current protocols in those arenas.

With my Old Computer, I used CAPS for emphasis because the Font Buttons did not work.

For the computer challenged, it is much easier to use the Shift Key for Caps than to have to move one's hand to a mouse, position the mouse controlled cursor over the B or I or U button, click on the appropriate mouse button, move the hand back to the keyboard, type the word to be emphasized, then move the hand back to the mouse, reposition the cursor if it was shifted in position, click on the appropriate moust button, then move the hand back to the keyboard and continue typing. Just thinking about that process makes me tired!

Well, I wondered too if anyone else had other forum manner issues that bugged them. I guess we probably all want to improve.

To me, it's that behavior I originally described that is rude. My intention isn't to criticize a specific person or persons.

Sometimes members get badgered in regard to their surgery choices. When I was a new member, stressed and frightened, I recall a few similar things posted to me then as well. But I'd already had a lifetime of cardiac visits and had done months of research before I ever even stumbled across this site. While some of the posts felt like a condescending and unfriendly reception, it was water off a duck's back to me. But those types of comments are still happening to new members. And they're not friendly posts.

When I researched forum manners the other day, I was surprised how much info there was about online etiquette. There are a variety of poor online manners. All caps writing was just the commonly mentioned classic example. The sites also mention trolling and baiting, terms I first read about here years ago.

In real life, when we have a misunderstanding with someone, and it can't be overlooked, it's often best to kindly go to that person privately and respectfully discuss it with them. Online, it's not always possible.
. . . To me, that it pretty poor online manners also, to criticize someone who just didn't have a clue.
Nice reminder; and in a broader context, my basic point in a nutshell :)

Lily:

Everyone disagrees with someone from time to time. And one person may consider something unfriendly, while another person doesn't bat an eye.

Many of us here are passionate about our views and experiences. Someone will always disagree with our point of view, and vice versa. I've seen that recently on a non-medical list I'm on, and my DELETE key is getting well-used; I've actually gone to looking at the posts at yahoogroups, rather than in the digest form there.
Here, we can't hit the delete key. Instead, we can choose to ignore posts from someone we disagree with and help keep our BP under control.
That's my $0.02 cents worth -- or whatever its value in other currencies. :)))

Last edited:
I guess it all depends on ones definition of rude. If one is trying to make a valid point that you disagree with, that isn't necessarily rude. It maybe the way you see it, but not the person making the point.

I certainly believe it is okay to disagree, or express ones opinion, even if it's different. Any deliberate, and intentionally rude behavior directed at a specific individual should not be tolerated.

Nancy, that photo is tooooo cute!!

I certainly believe it is okay to disagree, or express ones opinion, even if it's different. Any deliberate, and intentionally rude behavior directed at a specific individual should not be tolerated.

That's why there is report a post. If you don't think it's right, let the admin know. If it's unacceptable, it will be removed. I'm trying to figure out why were even having this discussion.

well i can see where lily coming from, and i agree with her, sometimes people do come across as badgering esp surgery choice,yes we all come on here for peoples opinions but at the end of the day thats all there are, none of us are medically trained so that leaves it as just opinions,maybe some on here should be a little more suttle in there responses,saying that i think its a great forum, cricky how do you spell suttle? lol,

Latest posts

Back