Finally got Internet connection after avr replacememt

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp66

hi all. Had my sortic valve and root replaced on Monday evening. Op took nearly 7 hours but there were no complications. Because I had s congenital surgeon they tend to take a lot more care cutting through existing scar tissue etc. My aortic root didn't really need replacing but as it was Showing mild dilation the general agreement was that it would need replacing at some point. My surgeon said he didn't want me to have any more ops down the line although this can't be totally ruled out due the obvious complications. He expects this to last 40-50 years! I can totally see his point, heart surgery and recovery is an awful experience!! I forgot how awful it was when the drainage tubes are pulled out. Prob the worst experience of my life! Good job the nurses were so great! Its hard to imagine what heart surgery is like for people who havnt had it, i almost feel like i could put up with anything after that! However, I was walikng around weds morning and now I feel pretty good. Walking lots, eating and generally building my strength up. I was meant to be coming home today but I have a slight temperature and my heart rate is pretty high (96) so they want to monitor this for a few more days and put me on antibiotics etc just incase it is a slight infection (very common after heart surgery I've been told). I'm in no rush to go home, I have my own room and I'm checked 5 or 6 times a day which is much better than feeling worried at home.

I've already had a chat about home monitoring for warfarin and it looks like this won't be a problem, I should be getting my own machine within next month or so which is pretty good for the uk.

I had my failed mosaic tissue valve. It wasn't to do with pannus or an infection but s common problem with this valve. The coating used on the valve basically causes it to fail early. Apparently I'm lucky that I got 4 years. Thousands of these valves have had to be replaced. It's a shame but I'm glad it was the valve and not pannus or tissue growth etc which could have effected the mech valve also.

Been thinking about you; glad to see you back on this side! :)

And yes, the breathing tube withdrawal is awful but it sure is a relief to have it out of there! Take it nice and slow, walking, eating, resting.
Hope you get to go home soon!

Stay well!

Hi, Mark, I guess practices differ from place to place. I can't say that the removal of the drainage tubes wasn't a weird sensation but the PA who removed them gave me an anesthetic before doing it so it wasn't painful. I agree that it is better to be kept for a few days more of observation if there is any indication of problems. Hopefully, you will have a smooth recovery once you are home and if you are at all like me, far more comfortable.

Larry

Im so glad to see you post. I've been thinking about you and hoping all was well. I can imagine it must be a relief to know it was valve related (as much as that sucks it failed so early) and not something like annus that you would worry about happening soon with your new valve. Sorry pulling the drains was so awful for you, but glad that is behind you now and your doig well, walking eating etc. One good thing Justin says about having REDOs is you pretty much know the drill and know thigs you can do, or avoid to get better as soon as possible, like doing your walking breathing and trying to remeber not to do nything stupid if your feeling good.
Looking forward to reading your first post from home, but certainly understand the feeing better being watched a couple more days and having someone there to answer questions right away, instead of wonderring if something is "normal". Hopefully the temp stays down.

Mark, great to see you on the other side of the mountain. Keep the good work on recovery.

-kumar

Mark,

Good to hear all is well. I had my AVR about a week before you and eneded up with a few extra days in the hospital waiting for my heart to get into rhythm, one of many things like yours that can delay getting out of the hospital. I agree that pulling the drain tubes being one of the worst experiences I can can recall and that feeling that, now that I have gone though AVR surgery, I can take on almost anything. Especially in the pain tolerence area.

Keep getting better -- Go class of 2011!

dan

Thanks for all these greet replies. Only just had a chance to see them. Everything going well so far. Amazing how quick the recovery is from such a complex op. I almost feel normal again. I mentioned in another post that my heart rate is slightly high (90-100) but my pulse is regular. Temperature has gone down to normal, bloods all fine now and INR settling down to normal. So far so good! The valve noise is odd. I only hear it when I think about it... Will update next week.

Good to meet you Mark and hear your improving very well, I'm close to 3 weeks post op and am feeling much better myself.
I hope to get a home monitor machine myself one day, but no chance of that for at least another couple months.

Brad

Latest posts

Back