Finally changed my mind!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail in Ca

Well, now that I am recovering from my 3rd OHS, I realized that I have changed my mind on tissue vs mechanical. I have always smuggly said that I would choose a tissue valve again for my 1st surgery. I liked just getting back to normal, no coumadin, no testing, etc. BUT, things happen in life that you would never expect. My tissue valve didn't last as long as I had hoped, and when I needed it replaced, I was given a fluid overload and sent into congestive heart failure. I needed urgent surgery and was too sick to have all my heart valves fixed. Anyway, I get mechanical aortic and was left with a leaky mitral, thinking I would just need less invasive surgery, long down the road. BUT, I get endocarditis from a staph bug, don't know how, and it ends up eating my aortic ring and also eating holes in my mitral leaflet. So, a 3rd even more risky surgery due to the scar tissue of the last two. It is taking longer to heal and feel not sore this time, and of course, I am older. BUT, if I had gotten a mechanical valve the 1st time I would've only been recovering from my 2nd surgery.
When I talked with my surgeon this time around before the 3rd surgery, I felt his dismay that I hadn't gotten a mechanical the first time. He was very concerned about this 3rd surgery. For the 1st time, I was concerned,too.
We on this site tend to play down the risks, and people still get tissue valves at a young age.
So, I just needed to get this off my freshly scarred chest. I am lucky to be alive, and am really feeling this way for the 1st time. Repeat surgeries are very risky, and, even though I survived, I think people who need valves need to really think thru the options.
Gail

Gail,

I am so very happy you made it through your surgery. Keep in mind that even getting a mechanical does not guarantee you will be free from additional surgeries. It is important to have the surgery, learn from anything that was unexpected so the future is easier and then not look back.

However, your story is very important and hopefully will provide some thought for those who continue to think repeat surgeries are no big deal. Until you have been there it is only speculation and/or wishful thinking.

Wishing you all the best.

Welcome back and thanks

Welcome back and thanks

Hi Gail,

So glad you are alright even if not completely recovered yet. Miller is a miracle worker it seems and glad it was him opening you for the third time. And thank you so much for writing this post. I always hope that when the time comes for surgery, my mitral can be repaired (and Miller said he could, but who know maybe he will retire soon), but I would feel very conflicted about tissue vs mechanical if it were to be a replacement. Both Miller and my cardio has said "Of course you will get a mechanical, that's the right thing to do in your 40's", but I am also scared of Wafarin (it's getting better from all that I read here). So, it helps to get the perspective of someone who had to undergo three surgeries. Seems like you've had particularly bad luck with the endocarditis affecting your mech valve ring. Glad it all turned out ok.

Gail - thank you for posting your story. Besides there being no "perfect valve for life" yet, there is also no crystal ball on the market yet. If only......

I wish you a smooth recovery with no more complications - you've been through enough. God bless.

Valve choice is a complicated matter. Thanks goodness I've been spared the choice so far. Thanks for posting your insights. Wishing you a smooth, and speedy, recovery.

Gail,

You are sooo right that people who need valves need to think thru the options. I might add also consider all the pros and cons of each.

I was also one who wanted a tissue valve soley for the purpose of not being on coumadin. My wife had me talk to someone who had a mechanical valve. He told me it was no big deal, and that he takes one pill a night. I wanted the tissue anyway.

The night before my surgery, my surgeon saw me for the first time. Because of my chest deformity and the surgery to correct it in 1982, he strongly recommended I go with a mechanical but left the decision to me. He told me I would probably not make it thru another surgery to replace the tissue valve. Based on that, I went with the mechanical. As I have learned more since my surgery, I am glad I made that decision.

I sincerely hope all goes for well for you in this lastest recovery.

Karl

Sorry all you have had to endure, Gail, and wish you a smooth, uneventful recovery. Happy you are safely over the mountain!

I wish you well. I am in the process of deciding between the tissue and mechanical. Even at age 69 I am leaning toward the mechanical - wouldn't look forward to another surgery in my early 80's

I'm the recipient of a second tissue valve and I know, even though I'll outlive this one, I can't regret choosing tissue the first time. You see, my tissue valve didn't fail, my body did. I precipitated fibrin cells all over the leaflets and caused stenosis. There's nothing in the book saying I wouldn't have had the same complication with a mechanical.

I took the chances a second time, since the conditions that made a tissue valve my first choice still existed in my life. Between all of my health care team members and my family, we made the decision that was best for ME at that time. Who knows what will happen next time apart from the fact that we will still make all of our decisions based on what is right for ME.

I'm so very glad you had the opportunity to be alive to make your decisions, everyone. That is really what VR is about, I think, and not just to debate the undebateable; such a unique and personal decision should rarely be questioned after the fact.

If you still have a choice to make, I feel you should base your replacement choice on those factors that are highest in priority in YOUR life and never look back once the deed's been done. Be aware, you can always change your mind up to the point when you go unconcious in the OR. Remember, by signing consent, however, you agree that the power of the final choice is handed to your surgeon.

Take Heart, his oath binds him to "First, do no harm."
Pamela.

gail good luck in your recoverey,sorry to hear youve had a rough time of it ,hopefully you soon be up and at them ok,.......neil

Gail..... I think you are over the top, and on your way to a speedier recovery!! I have mechanical valves, thank goodness. It is a personal decision as stated by others, but trust me when I say with repeat surgeries come repeat complications. Hang in there, praying you will be right as rain soon.

Gail, thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights with your situation. It helps us who
are in the process of deciding hear what others are thinking. Thankful you are on the
mend. Blessings. Laura

Gail, Congratulations on making it over the mountain again! I am so happy seeing your post. What a great post and thread! This thread is a real classic, with good posts about valve choice, whether one wants tissue or mechanical. My thanks to you, and to other contributors (Pamela especially). Your valve bro, Brian

Latest posts

Back