Fear of routine appointments

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themalteser

Dear all,

Have anyone of you, ever feared or got really paranoid as you get closer to a routine appointment ? Is this normal ?... Got my usual routine this Friday, and I can sense myself getting paranoid (bad thoughts and all) as I get close. I also find myself being a much "nicer" person (not that I'm not! I hope! ), more organised etc, and worry that I'm going to receive bad news!.... and obviously, I can't sleep. My office thought I'm walking dead this morning, I'm sooo tired!!

Thanking you in advance for your responses.

I think I've gone nuts!

No I do not think you are going nuts.

I have another routine appointment coming up in August and while all seems to be fine, I keep having the thought of the doc listening to the heart and saying something like "that does not sound right". I had AVR with mechanical valve about 9 months ago.

I was that way, up until I made the decision to schedule my surgery. Since then, back to normal (for me). I think I was dreading each appointment, thinking that "this may be the one where they tell me it is time." Once I decided for myself, my stress level went back to almost none.

I for one DO get very stressed out when I've got a routine appointment coming up. I had OHS one year ago, just prior to my 6 month MRI and check-up my BP was through the roof for a few days (148/85 - which is SUPER high for me). Everything turned out fine.

This Friday I've got my annual echo check-up, and although I'm doing great, I'm still nervous!

I don't know, (but IMO) I think that after you have a medical condition, it's normal to think the worst sometimes. I'm trying not to think so much about it, I've got plans to buy a new pair of shoes after my appointment, and I'm stocking up on chocolate!

Rachel

I used to be terribly anxious before routine appointments, and during my echos as well. The operator would often struggle to get good pictures because my heart was racing so fast. It was because I knew that at one of these appointments, I would be sent for surgery, and I was scared. Now that I have had surgery, it is a little easier, but my anxiety about appointments did make my valve selection easier. I knew that with a tissue valve I would be a sulky nightmare for a month before each appointment, so mechanical it was.

I'm still quite a bad patient, especially for my pacing checks. When the technician places the magnet over my PM, my heart feels very fluttery, and I hate it when they speed up, and slow down my heart. It's the fact that someone else is controlling my hert that bothers me.

I'm torn. I haven't had an echo since I got out of the hospital after my surgery 4.5 months ago. Sometimes I can't wait to have one to see if my measurements have changed, but other times I'm scared to death that they will say...oops, you're leaking again...more surgery in your future. I had a repair that, if successful, will outlast me. My surgeon said it was successful.

When I was in the waiting room (for 13 years) I would always become more symptomatic when it was time for the annual echo.

Now that I'm fixed, all the stress if gone. Symptom-free (but of course my valve works now- ha ha).

I just had my first post op echo on Friday (1.5 years after the surgery). It went really great, however I do think she spent a lot more time on my mitral valve that ever before. Is this normal, I wonder? I will find out tomorrow when I get the results. Wish me luck.

I feel the same way too. I get so nervous and terrified before doctor appointment. Same feeling when my wife and daughter have a doctor's appointment too.

I am going CUCKOO ! I need help real bad !

I always get stressed during the few weeks before my six monthly appointments for echo. For a few weeks after the echo I feel great.....then I start feeling just okay....and then it's downhill...... When I feel like that I sometimes think it would be better to just see the cardio when I get symptoms, but I know that isn't the sensible thing to do. So I think what you're experiencing is probably normal for people like us.

I don't think I ever felt really nervous for my usual appointments. I always felt fine and was asymptomatic so appointments never bothered me. When they told me back in November that it was time to have my BAV replaced, that changed and I worried before each appointment, even though I felt the same. After surgery, I reverted back to my old ways, and appointments don't really bother me now. Everyone's different, but try not to let it drive you crazy.

Yep..terrified to the point that anytime I do into any doctors appointment my blood pressure goes through the roof. Fortunately my Cardiologist understands this and has asked me to monitor it regularly at home.

Judging by Skyler's doctor's refusal to take his blood pressure (taken at the office) as typical, I think that it is very typical for anyone to be either excited or nervous (or paranoid) about appointments. Skyler's doctor, I guess, will typically give a 24h blood pressure monitor rather than take it at the clinic because EVERYONE is nervous at the doctor's. Understandable in my opinion!

Personally, I usually forget about appointments, and am curious about what will happen - but then, it's not my heart, it's my step-son's, and as much as I care about him and have been a big part of his life for 7 years, I recognize that I would likely feel a little differently if it was my own child.

But then again, maybe not. My husband is pretty calm about the whole thing, and if he's not concerned, why should I be panicking? We just take things as they come.

Hello everyone, wow! Ok! So I ain't alone, these are just normal feelings! I'm thinking, this it, he's gonna tell me I need surgery and I'm gonna **** me pants!

How did your cardiologist tell you you need surgery? Were you hoping you're going out fine or knew you needed surgery?

Thank you everyone for your replies

I think it's very natural to be nervous about going to the doctors. Even routine checks can discover things, so some people are probably anxious about it.

I knew I would eventually need surgery and when my cardiologist suggested I consult a surgeon I knew that the time is approaching.
On the positive note for several years now he was telling me that we are just about there and could do surgery any time. I was very asymptomatic and the numbers allowed me to wait a little bit and set some records in competitions while waiting.

i get really nervous just before my annual echo and follow up cardiologists appointment...I was told a month after my surgery that I had a leak, and they would just monitor it yearly...I panic thinking its gotten worse...I don't know why they dont fix it???many scarey thoughts go through my mind....my blood pressure goes up, my hands get sweaty, its very hard not to be anxious..

Thankyou everyone for all your responses. just out of curiosity, how many of you had an aortic root size of 46mm or similar, and stayed stable for many years? Or are still stable? Maybe I should open another thread with this question.

Thankyou

Hello everyone, wow! Ok! So I ain't alone, these are just normal feelings! I'm thinking, this it, he's gonna tell me I need surgery and I'm gonna **** me pants!

How did your cardiologist tell you you need surgery? Were you hoping you're going out fine or knew you needed surgery?

Thank you everyone for your replies

I went for a routine echo last year. My root measurements had hovered around 4.2-4.4 cm for the previous 8 years, and although I had my normal pre-appointment jitters, I thought that worst case scenario I would get a 4.6 cm measurement. During the echo, the technician was quiet, and asked only one question - Have you had a CT scan? That set off my sense that something wasn't right.

The cardiologist appointment was a double one, with my 11 year old daughter. My daughter got a bill of clean health, and then the cardiologist sent her out of the room. I was told that my measurement was 4.8 cm, and because of the significant increase, she was referring me to a surgeon. It was tough, especially because my daughter was with me, and I needed (and mostly failed) to hold myself together.

Where you are, the waiting, is the toughest part. It is scary, putting yourself through surgery, but afterwards, it's worth it.

White coat syndrome is something that I definitely have. I know that I shouldn't, because the doctors were able to catch my MVP before it caused any permanent harm. But even so, I still get worked up before heading into the hospital.

I think the fellow who gave me the news about my need for a surgery learned to be a little less blunt, since I nearly passed out (I have learned what that feels like) when he just threw out "well, it looks like it's time for you to see a surgeon".

Latest posts

Back