energy drinks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngmom

Hey everyone! I was thinking of trying the energy drinks. I heard the monster drinks were bad for the heart. I was wondering if any of you have tried them and if it makes your heart race. I haven't had the surgery yet so I thought of giving them a try so I can workout. By the evening time I am so tired and need a kick

I've heard that these energy drinks have mega caffeine in them - like an 8oz can can equal to 10 cups of coffee.? I also thought these types of drinks were not recommended if one had heart problems.
Just my thoughts.

You'd probably be better off having a cup of coffee with a couple teaspoons of sugar. At least you'd know what you are putting in your body, and how much.

Hi,

Here is my personal experience with an energy drink.

A few years a go my nephew left a "RedBull" in my refrigerator. Since I never had one, I thought I would give it a try.
Later that day, I flipped into A-fib, and had to make a trip to the ER to get brought back into rhythm.
So, was it the drink, or just one of those wierd occurance things? You be the judge.

I haven't had an energy drink since.

Rob

I would definitely check w/my doctor on this one if I were you!

I would never dare to drink one of those drinks! All I would need is for my weakened heart to start racing and then stop! Yikes! No thank you!

If coffee, Coke, etc., causes ANY symptoms, then don't drink an energy drink! They not only have tons of caffeine, they usually have other ingredients that are known to affect the cardiovascular system. IMO, the last thing you want to do is upset the equilibrium of an already impaired heart.

By the evening time I am so tired and need a kick

My guess is that you're so tired because your heart is already laboring to keep up with even the demands of an ordinary day, without any added stress.

I thought of giving them a try so I can workout.

If your heart is already laboring, then it probably doesn't need the added physical stress of a workout, let alone the chemical stress of an "energy" drink!

The question in my mind is whether or not you've talked to your cardio. Did you ask him about energy drinks? If so, what did HE say? If you didn't ask, WHY NOT? This is your life you're "tinkering" with! My concern is that it sounds like you already know what you SHOULD do, but you're looking for someone who will say it's OK to do what you WANT to do. You mentioned in another thread that your son was scared and worried, but if you're pushing yourself, and not talking to/listening to your doctor, then I think your son has every right to feel that way. Please take it easy, for his sake....

Marcia

I know it isn't the same thing, but if you are always tired, have you tried taking any multi-vitamins to see if they help?

It may sound crazy BUT have you contacted the product manufacturer and asked them to put theit thoughts in writing to you ......I woul say ask five suppliers and then take the results to your practitioner .......IF everybody and I mean EVERYBODY says its okay then I'll eat my hat and you should go ahead !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone! I was thinking of trying the energy drinks. I heard the monster drinks were bad for the heart. I was wondering if any of you have tried them and if it makes your heart race. I haven't had the surgery yet so I thought of giving them a try so I can workout. By the evening time I am so tired and need a kick

Don't do it! I haven't had surgery yet, either. I've tried them all over the years. THey have way too much caffeine and you risk feeling like crap. I had just a small amount of one last last year and regretted it. My heart started racing and fluttering. Scared me to death.

Try out this nifty calculator. The energy drinks will kill you much faster than a Starbucks.
http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine

If you google the words "energy drinks" and "heart risks," dozens of stories will pop up about heightened risk to heart health from the high-powered energy drinks... Now some of the studies may have been small-scale, and some results may be in dispute, but if it were me, I would NOT take the chance.

I would not do it, especially because you have not had your surgery unless you like to advance your surgery time. The below quotation is from Mayo Clinic.

Quote:

..................many energy drinks contain much higher amounts of caffeine and other substances. ..........High amounts of caffeine and sugar — and whatever herbal stimulants may be added — can have a variety of adverse effects. They may cause a markedly faster heartbeat, irritability, nervousness, impaired sleep and nausea. In addition, the acids and sugars in these drinks promote tooth decay, and the sugar contains a lot of extra calories and little other nutritional value.

By itself, massive amounts of caffeine can increase your blood pressure and sometimes impair blood blow to your heart. It may trigger abnormal heart rhythms, which can be life-threatening in some people. Increased risk of a potential heart problem rises when energy drinks are consumed along with alcohol, when you're dehydrated, or when consumed quickly before a sporting event. Serious medical problems, including fainting or even a heart attack can occur due to consumption of energy drinks in these situations.Unquote.

You may read more here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-edge-newspaper-2009/may-29b.html

Last edited:
Energy Drinks?

Energy Drinks?

Potential heart issues aside, why drink something that's full of crap that's not good for you? Of course, I have the same reaction about people drinking soda pop.

Beer and wine are at least a food group... right?

-Philip

Youngmom, I remember reading that, when a person reaches for some type of caffeine in the late afternoon as a pick-me-up, they'd often be better having a glass of water -- because their problem of being tired is often related to not being properly hydrated. I find that having a glass of water helps perk me up.

And personally, I stay away from energy drinks for reasons already mentioned. Many of them have various additives/supplements that can elevate blood pressure also.

hi,
honestly I have used the energy drinks occasionally without many negative effects, I do have palpitations frequently, but I have as many when I have ingested caffeinated energy drinks as when I havent. I'd ask your dr and see what they say, they probably arent going to advocate it, but its unlikely the energy drinks will kill you either. its a matter of moderation, the one thing I have found out not to do though is the 5 hr energy shots, you consume lots of caffeine at once and it all hits you at once, if I have an energy drink I sip it slowly (usually a red bull) and when I start feeling the effect I stop drinking it this moderates the effect and you are less likely to consume too much caffeine. the one thing to watch out with the energy drinks though is the non caffeine stimulants, like guarana and taurine in some of these drinks, often the energy drinks dont have huge amounts of caffeine (as much as 1-2 cups of coffee) but combined with all the other stimulants is what causes the issues. . . .

Youngmom, I remember reading that, when a person reaches for some type of caffeine in the late afternoon as a pick-me-up, they'd often be better having a glass of water -- because their problem of being tired is often related to not being properly hydrated. I find that having a glass of water helps perk me up.

And personally, I stay away from energy drinks for reasons already mentioned. Many of them have various additives/supplements that can elevate blood pressure also.

Yes, when I do not drink enough water during the day, I do feel more tired than on the days I drink my water.

I tried once the "Energy Drink" you find in pharmacies....wow, it gave me energy and gave me lots of palpitations too, coupled with agitation.

Last edited:
I have to limit myself to only 1 diet or ("light" for those in the Commonwealth ;) coke a day. More than that and I get antsy and my HR jacks up (esp now I'm off the beta blocker). Have known for a while now to stay away from the "energy" drinks....

The additives in some of these drinks are herbs that can either impact the effectiveness of other medications one is taking or be dangerous when combined with certain medications. These drinks are called "energy" drinks, but they don't actually give you energy; they are stimulants that give you a rush. Don't be mislead by the false advertising. I applaud that you want to work out. I guarantee that if you work out and do it properly, starting with an easy warm-up, that you will indeed perk up. I don't know what your cardiac issues are, so whatever you do, you certainly want to get your doc's blessing first.

Latest posts

Back