energy drinks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After consulting with my cardiologist I have started taking Ginseng in a smaller than recommended dosage. I suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome and adult ADD and had been taking Provigil. Once I lost my health insurance the price became prohibitive and we tried a small dose of Adderall. My psychiatrist prescribed Adderall 5-10mg daily. After several months on Adderall I went into A-Flutter (not sure the Adderall caused it but was suspected) and we stopped it and I had a catheter ablation which has corrected the problem. I have been extremely tired since taking nothing for my chronic fatigue and have been looking for something safer to replace the Adderall. Gingseng does interact with several heart medications, especially Coumadin, hypertension drugs (which I am on) as well as hormone replacement drugs. I have specific instructions to closely monitor my BP and heart rate and should stop the Ginseng immediately if I notice any increase in BP and/or heart rate (which I have not) and report any changes to my cardiologist.

I would not recommend taking any "energy" supplement without consulting your cardiologist first. Most if not all energy supplements contain some type of stimulant which is what gives you that boost. My chronic fatigue was affecting my ability to function to the point where me and my cardio weighed the risk/rewards and he tentatively agreed to let me try the Gingseng in small doses for a "trial period". I have experienced only a minor increase in energy levels (probably due to the small dose I'm taking) but any increase provides some relief of my symptoms and my BP and heart rate has not been affected so far.

Another thing to consider is that your declining energy levels are being caused due to progression of your heart/valve condition. In this case I don't think energy supplements are the answer to increase your energy levels.

This is just my personal experience and again I do not recommend taking any OTC supplement without discussing it with your cardiologist first. We all have individual heart issues so it is impossible to tell you what would be safe and what would not be safe but I would err on the side of caution.

Latest posts

Back