Echo Results Before Appt?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ottagal

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I am posting this question out of curiousity. If you had the option to get a copy of your echo results BEFORE a follow up appt. with the cardiologist (in other words before he/she meets with you to discuss the echo results), would you?

If so, why and do you see any benefit in doing this?

Thanks!

Hello Ottawagal,

If you have the option, I would say: Yes, get a copy! It will give you time to compare the results with previous echos at home without being rushed and make a list of questions accordingly.

ABSOLUTELY !!!

I fill out the Information Request sheet at the time of my Echo and usually receive a copy within 2 or 3 weeks. I have a computerized Spread Sheet that lists every parameter and verbal description from the report by date. I've gotten pretty good at reading and interpreting *my* reports (i.e. I know what my issues are and understand the data for those issues).

That said, my Cardio *usually* schedules my Echo for just before my followup appointment so that he can personally review the tape before meeting with me.

If/when I have symptoms that I want checked out, he will tell me to set up an appointment for an echo and then set up a followup appointment which may be a few weeks later.

The echo is the largest portion of any cardiac examination for valve issues. Its results drive the questions about symptoms and provide a completely different perspective about the heart's state of health than the office exam can.

Most echo reports will list the normal value limits to compare against, although lately I've seen some stylized versions that are made to look like you're getting information, when large portions of the bread and butter of the test are simply left off the form. This would be acceptable if that was all of the information the caardiologist was getting, but it accounts for less than half of the measurements routinely produced by a standard echo.

At any rate, it gives you something solid to discuss with your cardio about whether you have an upcoming need for surgery, how your recovery is progressing, whether something you're feeling is likely to be a symptom from the valve issues or not, etc.

Without it, you're just showing up with nothing to discuss, and he'll likely just tell you what's convenient for him to tell. Some people want to know, some don't. If you do, get the results first. If you don't, you can let the cardio handle the decisions. I like to make my own life-altering decisions, so I would want to know ahead of time. I want to understand the context in which he's speaking, and make an informed judgement of my own.

Best wishes,

Absolutely!!! I have a cousin that told me for years to always demand a copy of ant tests done. "Don't take the statement no news is good news from a nurse or assistant". They often loss results and the doctor never sees them or don't think it is significant enough to mention. I went from mild AS to moderate to sever and no one went over the test results with me. Some doctors want to down play things if you are not ready for surgery yet. Get a copy of your echo and any other test or proceedure you have done.

I will chime in and agree with the others. In fact, I ask for a copy of ALL my tests, cardiac or not. In order to be able to be a "partner" with health care providers, a person needs to know where he stands on the technical issues.

Thanks Braveheart,
Point is well taken regarding being a 'partner' in the health care decision making. I am all for that. I plan on asking for my echo results prior to my cardio appt. next month so that I am prepared. Let's hope I don't find too many surprises! :eek:

I never even thought of this. GEEZ! Maybe I'm too trusting of my cardio.
Sounds like a good idea to me...I wouldn't know what I was looking at, but like AL says, eventually you probably become a pretty good translator!

Yes, Yes, Yes!
I had one of those cardios who thought that he should be the only one to have the echo results in front of him.
Then, at my last appt, he referred to my replaced MV, which floored me because it was my AV that was replaced.~~

Thanks Bina and Melissa! I think my cardio will be very surprised if I tell him that I received the echo results before he did. :D

Ok Bina...that must have been scary. Is this a cardio that has been following you for some time?

Melissa,
Depending on what type of echo report you receive, some of the information can be pretty straightforward.

Last edited:
Do not be shy about asking for copies of all your examinations!

I used to be too timid to ask for copies. Not anymore! I ask for copies of every procedure that is done so that I can go back and compare.

You paid for them; you have every right to have them! :)

Yes, my cardio had been following me for years.........he just doesn't want to handle patients after the OHS is completed.
He is there if something goes wrong, but he has no time or interest in hearing about my PVCs, SVT, etc. He refers me back to my GP.

You have that right in the US, due to the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act). They have to give you your results, along with all of your other health records.

It would be interesting to know if other countries have similar laws in place. I would hope they do.

Best wishes,

Hi Norma Jean,
Thanks for the reminder to use our 'assertiveness' skills as patients. I know you are talking from experience! :) out of necessity.

Bob H, we do have HIPAA regulations in Canada, but I am not well versed in the details.

OG, I've never had a problem getting copies of tests (in Ontario and Quebec).
Last year I finally got the nerve to send a fax requesting my OHS summary. No problem at all, it arrived within 2 weeks.

Is anyone else a patient at the UNC Heart Center in Chapel Hill? I had an echo done there recently, and when I asked for a copy of the report, the receptionist told me that I had to go to the records department at UNC's main hospital (which is nowhere near the Heart Center). Of course, the medical records department charges a fee for a copy of the report, and it is a tremendous hassle to have to go there in the first place. I don't see why they can't make a photocopy at the Heart Center-- in 33 years of dealing with cardiologists, I have never had to deal with such a process to get a simple echo report!

I went from mild AS to moderate to sever and no one went over the test results with me. Some doctors want to down play things if you are not ready for surgery yet. Get a copy of your echo and any other test or proceedure you have done.

Very similar to my situation, John, I do not even think they noticed the change in my case.

Is anyone else a patient at the UNC Heart Center in Chapel Hill? I had an echo done there recently, and when I asked for a copy of the report, the receptionist told me that I had to go to the records department at UNC's main hospital (which is nowhere near the Heart Center). Of course, the medical records department charges a fee for a copy of the report, and it is a tremendous hassle to have to go there in the first place. I don't see why they can't make a photocopy at the Heart Center-- in 33 years of dealing with cardiologists, I have never had to deal with such a process to get a simple echo report!

Where I live, if you have tests done at the hospital or medical clinic, you have to go to the "Records Dept" & request a copy & then they will charge you.

When I request records from my PCP or cardiologist & the tests were performed in their office, I do not get charged & the wait time is 0.

Latest posts

Back