Dumb question.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Has anyone had an issue with extreme itching after surgery? Not just around insicion site, but all over...I cant stop itching. Help!

I have not but I have just gone through a lot of skin itching lately and I've narrowed it down to a new detergent I'm using.

There are no dumb questions here.:)

All over itching can be caused by many things....detergents, soaps, hard water, creams, perfumes, medications, hormonal changes, and food allergies.
Think carefully about everything you have contacted or consumed in the last 1-2 days.

Its been since the hospital.... fogot to mention, its only on my back, the back of my legs, and my butt...lol.... could it be from laying on my back for the last 12 days?

You may have just developed a sensitivity from laying on your back. I put one of those foam topper pads on my mattress, and cotton flannel sheets, and wear cotton pyjamas to avoid any reaction or sweating with polyester blends. Nothing else comes to mind right now.

Well thanks for replying...i do wake up with sweat under me, but i cant quite turn on my side yet...lol...so, ill deal with it a little longer. Thanks everyone.

Joe always got what the hospital called a "sheet rash" which was his sensitivity to the harsh detergents the hospital laundry uses. It was little red pinpoint spots all over. We did use hydrocortisone cream on them, but you should speak to your doctor about its use.

Liver problems can also cause itching skin, but I think you would have many other symptoms with that scenario.

There's no dumb questions danny. I get itchy from time to time on my legs but it passes. On the otherhand the itch I get from the incision annoys me greatly. Once it starts up it doesn't go away for awhile. But that too isn't all the time and it does pass after a while.

O.K. I may have figured it out... My pain reliever, Tylenol 3 with Codiene has a side affect of itching. I think i will just quit taking it and see what happens.

What?
You got Tylenol 3 for a pain med? You lucky dog. I was sent home with plain old Extra Strength Tylenol.

Yes indeed switch to something without codeine.

Danny,

I could not take ANY OF THE REALY GOOD pain relievers! Makes me sick as a dog! Codiene, can't take that either. It was a real problem after surgery! Yes, if it makes you itchy, you got to find something else.

I had terrible itching - all over my body - for weeks after my surgery. I never found out what was causing it. One day it was just gone! I went through a ton of itch relieving lotion.

I hope you discover the cause soon.

It may be from laying in bed for so long. I had one butt cheek that felt like your leg does when it "falls asleep" immediately following my second surgery. The thing felt like this for a solid 3-4 weeks.

Its been since the hospital.... fogot to mention, its only on my back, the back of my legs, and my butt...lol.... could it be from laying on my back for the last 12 days?

Bedding has Fire Retardants as required by CONGRESS (thanks to the Fire Retardent Industry Lobbyists).

There may also be some Scotchguard (or similar) applied to the mattress.

People CAN become sensitized to these agents.
Skin tingling is one of the Lesser Symptoms.

Latest posts

Back