Dugald's Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsouter

Hello all..Dugald's surgery went smoothly today, and he is "over the mountain", or so he tells me! The surgery was only 5 hours long, which was shorter than expected. They had to remove the old valve completely due to calcification, but had no problem putting in the new one. He is in recovery and actually he looks better than he did last time...good colour in his face!

Jodi

Today was a good day for Dugald! We think that he may have received the Cryptonite (spelling?) glue, because he is definitely able to move around more easily and with way less pain than the previous surgery. He was only on Tylenol for the pain today!!
He says that he can hear the click of the valve...but I couldn't hear a thing. Mind you hospitals are actually pretty loud places!!

Jodi

I remember being furious with the staples. They are weapons of torture. ;)
After 3 or 4 days I was only on regular Tylenol, previously the nurses gave me very strong morphine and oxycontin crap, but I didn't have the strength to refuse them. Dugald will recover nicely without all that garbage in his system. Did u get some rest?

Thanks for the update, Jodi. Fantastic news that Dugald is 'over the mountain'. May he have a continued smooth and bump free recovery. I am going to try and drop by for a quick visit on Friday as I will be near the Heart Institute.
As the others have said, I hope you are getting some rest. Please give him our very best wishes.

Hip-Hip-Hooray for Dugald. Make sure you tell him to be good to himself and not to over do it.
Best wishes for a continue bump-free recovery "D", and Jodi make sure your looking after yourself and that your eating and sleeping well.

My best wishes too!

If you are able to clarify whether he did actually get the Kryptonite Glue to stick his sternum back together, I'd be appreciative.
I did some research on this prior to my op (22nd Feb), but my surgeon hadn't used it before and hadn't studied up on it.

Also, from what I read, this procedure is only in the experimental and trial stage at present (a worldwide trial), and I'd be interested on Dugald's process and recovery. The websites I visited suggested recovery period of a few weeks rather than a few months.

Col

Hi guys,
Home now after waiting for my INR to get up to 2.0.
I suspect I got the glue as I have almost zero pain or movement at the sternotomy location. I can't ask until my follow up appointment though and may just be experiencing a much easier second surgery.
I will let you all know though as soon as I find out.
Now it is time to do rehab and get the rest of me up to strength.
Thinking of trying the 25 km or 50 km Ride for Beats in September , if I am up to it.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back