Doc says surgery now; family questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julieaka

Has anyone had the issue where the surgeon/cardio say NOW but your family says WHAT? They say I don't look "sick" nor act very "sick" - how could it be time for surgery? Anyone else had this situation - is it because they just don't want to face it? :confused:

Without knowing all the facts, I would venture that most likely your family is doubting the need for surgery because you seem to exhibit no symptoms. However, with valve and possibly aneurysm problems, it is common to need the surgery BEFORE serious symptoms set in, by which time it may be too late. You can find any number of medical references validating as much. A Google search or members could provide them, I'm sure.

Having said that, it is of course natural for your family and you yourself to have questions for the doctor. Nor is there anything wrong with getting a second medical opinion if there is still doubt. In fact, some will argue that is a prudent way to go in any event.

Good luck to you and your family as you sort all this out.

Yes... is does happen. At an appointment with my father last summer, his cardioligist just happened to do a "social" listen while we were in his office. He reacted within 4 seconds that I had aortic stenosis. I had just played hockey the night before and was feeling great (for a 56 year old) Needless to say, he became MY cardiologist that day and I went for EKG, echo, etc... and had surgery within 3 months. My direct family was OK with it as we were used to this surgery (dad has had 4) but many other people were not sure how this could happen. I was fine, active and virtually symptom free. I have since learned that my sometimes shortness of breath and slight dizziness was not becuase I was getting old and over tired... it was a valve that was closing up. I was famiiliar with the cardiologist and surgeon as they had saved my father multiple times and did not get another opinion... but, if in doubt at all, get a 2nd opinion.

Bottom line, you may never know you have a problem... and then !! --- be thankful you found out !! Good luck and ask questions. any and all questions !!

Julieaka,

I for one did not think myself sick enough to undergo OHS, nor did my spouse. At 56 I also had no apparent physical symptoms and good energy levels or so i thought. Surgeon mentioned to me that my heart was oversized compensating for valve condition...so the sympton was not apparent, but there were symptoms...i just chose to ignore them.

You may seek another professional opinion, but if your cardiologist and surgeon both say NOW, then there is likely an urgent need....their experience and the numbers do not lie.

Have you had echo and angiogram, what is the condition to be treated?

Be careful of denial and if need be, bring a family member on a scheduled visit with the surgeon/cardio, you will need them as support post operation anyways

Do not unecessarily delay a procedure that you may truly need

I too had no symptoms, didn't look sick, nor did I act sick.....in fact I didn't know I was sick. But when the doc/surgeon said that my surgery would be done by the end of May (I was told in March) my spouse and I just thought 'so be it' and carried on with our normal day to day routine. Personally, I was so dumb-founded that I needed surgery, I was determine to prove the doctors wrong with all their testing they had done, so I really didn't think or was concerned about when I was going to be called for pre-op tests. It was a blow to the head when the surgeons office called me 4 days later to come in within the 1/2 hour for pre-op tests for surgery the next day.

Don't delay, if the doctor says now, it's now.
Take Care and Good Luck

Thanks for the quick reply all - while I don't have any "traditional/typical symptoms" the surgeon today convinced me completely of all the little signs I have missed/lived with for 1-2 years! I have been in the "waiting room" at 4cm ascending anuerysm and somewhere between .6-.8 AV (congenitial bicuspid AV) since 2005........so that might have something to do with the disbelief that I will be in for OHS between 2 weeks and 6 weeks from now. Some more testing and scheduling..... sigh. Guess I don't know how good I WILL feel Good suggestion to bring my hubby to the next visit/next apts so he can "hear" or ask questions himself.... it's hard with three kids to care for too! (which is why I thought supremely tired was NORMAL) :)

Your Family's reaction is not unique. We have heard similar stories before.

To MY mind, Symptoms are a sign of DAMAGE to the Heart. Surgeons like to operate Before there is Permanent Damage to the Heart Muscles and Walls, not to mention the risk of Sudden Death and/or Rupture or Disection of your Aortic Aneurism. BTW, you might want to know that the survival rate for a Ruptured Aortic Aneurism is less than 10%.

My Cardiologist and Surgeon use 0.8 sq cm as their 'Trigger' for recommending Aortic Valve Replacement Surgery.

Since you have been at or below this level for 2 years now, I expect your heart is "compensating" by pumping harder than a normal heart. This leads to Cardiomyopathy (strengthening / enlarging of the heart muscles) plus Enlargement of the Heart which can reach a Point of No Return, 'even with' successful Valve Replacement Surgery, where the Heart Muscles and Walls will no longer return to 'Normal'.

It would be wise for you to obtain copies of ALL of your Test Results so that you (and your family) can see 'your numbers' and how they compare with 'normal' hearts. By Law, Medical Providers are required to provide copies of your records. You may need to sign a Release to Yourself for "personal information" and there may be a copying charge.

Has anyone mentioneded that Bicuspid Aortic Valves (BAV) and Aortic Aneurisms are often a sign of a Connective Tissue Disorder? IF you have such conditions, it would be wise to select a Surgeon with experience dealing with those (less common) conditions. Such Surgeons are usually found at the Major Heart Centers. Be sure to select a Surgeon who performs Surgery of the Aorta (not to be confused with 'mere' Aortic Valve Replacement) on a relatively frequent basis (i.e. more than a few per year).

'AL Capshaw'

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back