Deep dive into the literature: my findings about On-X

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pem

As mentioned in another recent post, I'm a BAVR candidate (surgery to be had by June 2011), with moderate to severe stenosis, severe insufficiency, and no symptoms.

My default position, as I consider valves, has been to get a 3rd gen tissue valve, like the Edwards pericardial. However, my recent statistical findings about tissue vs. mechanical, my discomfort with reop, and my recent discovery of On-x has caused me to revisit this position.

I thought I would share my recent findings as I look through the literature that assesses and compares On-x. My approach has been to try to demonstrate to myself that On-X is not a good option. So far, that has been difficult. I welcome any feedback, push-back, or additional evidence that supports or not the use of On-X, particularly as it relates to my findings.

Summary of findings:

In general, On-x has been around for at least 13 years. I've read abstracts from longitudinal studies that look at some patients as far out as 10 years after surgery.

In contrast to some of the other newer valves, it seems to be free of "amateur issues", such as leaflet escape. So the literature seems to support, as far as I can tell, that this is a serious contender along with the mainstay of SJM (St Jude).

Hemodynamics seems to be on par with St. Jude.

In one short-term (12 month) study comparing OnX with SJM (20 patients in each group), there were the following results (bear in mind that 40 patients is a small study, and results from such a study should be regarded cautiously):
1) 2 OnX patients had ongoing paravalvular leakage
2) 5 SJM patients had myocardial revascularization (I don't know what this means-??)
3) Mean transvascular flow and pressure gradients were the same postoperatively but dropped more for OnX patients than for SJM patients at 12 months. However neither results was statistically signficant
4) A relatively pronounced transvalvular reflux (regurgitation across the valve?) was diagnosed for On-X valves

My analysis:
For #1) apparently sizing OnX valves is different than sizing a st. jude valve; i think the paravalvular leakage is due to a surgeon who is experienced with other valves but inexperienced with sizing an OnX valve using a similar sizing strategy when it doesn't apply. Just my conjecture here, but i think the paper suggests something similar.
For #2) I don't know what this means or if it matters - does anyone else?
For #3) The mean differences were small compared to the patient-to-patient variability, but I wonder if it's suggestive of a trend that would be seen in longer-term follow-ups. No longitudinal studies that I've seen have supported that concern however.
For #4) It is unclear whether the reflux finding applies to one On-X patient or all - I am still trying to get the full text on this paper. If it applies to all, I would wonder why (is the valve not closing properly) and whether it is suggestive of a long-term problem.

In another study of 27 On-X patients, two reported TIA (transient ischemic attacks - minor strokes that don't do long-term damage, but may be a warning sign; at the least they represent embolic events) at the 12-month follow-up. The study was otherwise positive and concluded that On-X was excellent in terms of low thrombo-embolic events. I'm not sure if 2 TIAs out of 27 patients should be categorized as "low", but on the other hand, the patients were otherwise fine and no long-term studies seem to suggest high thromboembolic results compared with other mech valves.

Conclusions: In general, it has been difficult to fault the On-X valve, as hard as I've tried. However, I will keep digging and watch carefully for evidence of increased incidence of the following relative to SJM and other mech valve options:
* paravalvular regurgitation and sizing considerations
* transvalvular regurgitation (valvular insufficiency)
* thromboembolism

Hope this is useful and welcome feedback!

Thanks

2) 5 SJM patients had myocardial revascularization

I think this is coronary artery bypass (CABG)

As for valve choice, in the UK, I am advised by my my GP to go along with the Surgeons Recommendation, for the best outcome I will go with whatever he is most comfortable with. I was re-assured that the local surgery can do INR testing with a finger stick test, so little inconvenience and no need for lab tests. Home testing is a big NO!

Does the web sometimes confuse things like Valve choice? as far as I can tell the Web Sites, reps, and studies owe a lot to used car salesmen or new improved soap with added ingredients. I will trust someone who has experience of using the valves, not someone keen on selling them at a huge mark-up.

any studies you read should be investigated as to their nature or roots ESP who sponsored or silently funded a study as they are very time consuming and so are expensive and need to be funded for the LONG term

Once your decision is made YOU are the only one out there who will be impacted for the rest of your life ....so take comfort in the fact the decision is best for YOU

Thanks - I got it in stereo :) I definitely see the wisdom in both of your replies and really appreciate it. It is indeed hard to tell who is conducting (not to mention funding) the studies and requires and extra layer of effort.

I try to take any individual study with a grain of salt, keeping in mind that I don't know all of the possible agendas involved. I am also sorely aware of the misuse of statistics and apply my best critical filter. If nothing else, when I see a conclusion that "On the basis of these results, we think valve <insert name> is outstanding!", I look to see if the results actually seem to support that.

But I will take your posts as fair warning to regard published studies with extreme caution, give value to surgeons with practical experience, and keep in mind that I am an individual and not a population average, therefore average outcomes may not apply to my case.

Thanks for this extremely valuable perspective.

pem,
Regardless of which type of valve you select, I encourage you to make the decision and live with it in your heart and gut for at least a week to see if it fits. I made a decision after consulting with my surgeon and during the week leading up to surgery realized that it was the wrong choice for me. At our meeting he said I could change my mind at any time prior to going under in the Operating room. As they wheeled me in I was telling everyone what type of valve I wanted which was different than what I had chosen with the doctor.

I think the difficulty in differentiating the two types of valves is that the valves are essentially equal in several important parameters like survival and co-morbidities. The best way to distinguish a difference in valve type is to determine which risks are you willing to accept or which ones do you want to avoid with each type?
John

Pem, you still haven't dived deep enough to find the ATS mech valve, which I think is the main serious competition for the On-X. Their main web-site is at http://www.atsmedical.com/Products.aspx?id=858 , and the company is now owned by Medtronics.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10735689 is one of several studies indicating that it is apparently the quietest of the current mech valves. In addition to avoiding some noise and distraction, I consider quietness a techie plus, whether in a luxury car or a mech valve. More info on its quietness at http://www.atsmedical.com/Physicians.aspx?id=3633 .

www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/full/JBJS.I.01401v1/DC1 is one study directly comparing the hemodynamics (and mechanics) of the ATS and the On-X, and I think it gives a clue to both (a) why the ATS is quieter and (b) why the On-X can exhibit "relatively pronounced transvalvular reflux (regurgitation across the valve)". In both cases, I think it's because the On-X leaflets open unusually far, like 90 degrees. That sounds great, but it may be too much of a good thing in both those categories: (a) The closing from farther away may increase the noise associated with the closing, and (b) the closing from farther away takes more time and reflux to accomplish, which (at least potentially) decreases efficiency. (That study's bottom-line findings are admittedly a bit inconsistent, depending on valve size, as I recall.)

Finally, there's the important question of clot-formation and ACT, where On-X claims supremacy, and is currently involved in a test to see if it is OK with lower (though not zero) ACT, along with anti-platelet therapy. AST addresses those claims (very effectively, from my fairly casual review) on their site, at www.atsmedical.com/Physicians.aspx?id=2458 and www.atsmedical.com/Physicians.aspx?id=2470 and http://www.atsmedical.com/Physicians.aspx?id=2476 . Unless they're hiding a bunch of other studies that show exactly the opposite, it looks to me as if ATS's Open Pivot Mechanical Valve may be even LESS thrombo-genic than the On-X.

BTW, if you do decide to go with a tissue valve, I think the one with the best proven track record so far is "mine", the Medtronics Hancock II pig valve, and the new-fangled one that attracts me the most is another ATS product, their ATS 3f Aortic Bioprosthesis, details at www.atsmedical.com/Physicians.aspx?id=2530 . One of the guys here chose this valve recently, which led to a bunch of horse-related jokes. . .

None of this is to deny the obvious advantage of getting a valve that your surgeon is experienced with, and comfortable with!

I had made up my mind on having an On-X valve implanted a few weeks before surgery. I am a bit of a beer drinker (about 6 a day) and was planning on cutting down to a more reasonable level after surgery. The day before surgery me and my surgeon had a long talk about my drinking and whether I could cut down AND stay cut down indefinitely. I told him that I had done so for long periods of time in the past but when a life crisis came up my drinking picked up again. He didn't judge me but he suggested that we go with a tissue valve to avoid alcohol-Coumadin issues. Although there are no guarantees he is fairly confident that they will be doing catheter based valve replacements by the time I need my next valve (he said 10-15yrs but probably closer to 15 yrs). He was going to use a Mosiac Freestyle with aortic root but when he got in there my aortic root was more dilated than even the recent CT scan had shown and the Freestyle wouldn't fit, so he used the CE Magna bovine pericardial valve and attached the dacron conduit himself. His specialty is disease of the aorta so he said this was not an issue.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that it is better to take into consideration each patient's individual needs when making a decision on which valve to use and then trusting that your surgeon will make the best decision based on those needs once he gets your chest open and can get a good look at what he is dealing with.

Hi Pem

I'm 55, male and athletic. Like Bryan and the Duff man [and Greg A], I too like beer!

I was diagnosed Oct 14/10 with critical AS. Along with the replacement of the AV, I will be requiring a graft of the ascending aorta. My home city was not implanting the On-X product. They are now! After dealing with me it's going to be a reality on Mar 21. I'm the Guinea pig. Like you, I did my home work and found On-X to be the superior MAV. Then along came brother normofthenorth and his ATS valve. UBETCHA the stats are excellent. I went out of my way to be implanted with the On-X and I'm not deviating from my destination with the surgeon and On-X.

Alrighty kids, just one little itsybinytinyspiceyweiny thing is missing from ALL other MHV that On-X has and this is, pannus or scar tissue protection incorporated into the design. I even called ATS and posed the Pannus question. Nope they said their is not a design feature engineered into the device to hold back pannus. Normofthenorth and I have been over this before and he is correct. ATS has new school technological advancements incorporated into the device and is worthy or attention. Robthatsme had a St. Jude Masters valve replaced because of pannus causing failure of his first MAV. He is now sporting an On-X AV.

It's to late for me to pursue anything different, as HELL week is just over a week away. Bring on On-X, surgery and rehab. I'm working an extended stretch of shifts so I can be off all next week to enjoy a little of life as I know it pre-surgery and to also prepare for the operation.

from what I've read, pannus is a serious thing that seems to be especially hazardous for mechanical valves because of the risk of leaflet impingement. I haven't heard of a study that compare pannus rates between the on-x and a competitor... not that I'm actively searching for one, though.

It's a serious enough problem to have me look a little harder at the tissue valves.. compounded with the need for coumadin... yeah. I can see why a person might want tissue.

Hi Pem

Alrighty kids, just one little itsybinytinyspiceyweiny thing is missing from ALL other MHV that On-X has and this is, pannus or scar tissue protection incorporated into the design. I even called ATS and posed the Pannus question. Nope they said their is not a design feature engineered into the device to hold back pannus. Normofthenorth and I have been over this before and he is correct. ATS has new school technological advancements incorporated into the device and is worthy or attention. Robthatsme had a St. Jude Masters valve replaced because of pannus causing failure of his first MAV. He is now sporting an On-X AV.

It's to late for me to pursue anything different, as HELL week is just over a week away. Bring on On-X, surgery and rehab. I'm working an extended stretch of shifts so I can be off all next week to enjoy a little of life as I know it pre-surgery and to also prepare for the operation.

Hi gang,

Just thought I would weigh-in a little on this. My 1st St Jude failed due to pannus. I was told either to get it fixed, or I wont be around in 12 months. So, ..., as though I had a lot of choice, I did! I found that the On-X was designed to help deflect/prevent pannus obstruction. Now for the main point... If a person is prone to develop pannus, then it is very likely that it will happen again with the replacement valve. Since I already tried the St Judes once, I was more than willing to try something else. Reality is, most likely, that my body will again develop pannus. I got 10 years out of the St Judes,,,, So here's hoping that a get a little better mileage with the On-X.

Great thread btw...the more you learn the better prepared you are. Be confident and secure with the personal selection that you make, knowing that you reviewed your options, and can have made the choice best suited for you personally.

I do find, in my case, that the On-X appears to be a little louder than my St Judes was. But, it doesn't bother me in the least, and it doesn't keep me awake at night. I mean after-all, I've had a mechanical valve in me now for 11 years. I have a lot of other parts installed in me these days too, so perhaps all of these together magnify the volume. I kind of have fun with it too. I find that of I open my mouth, and just keep it open in an "O" the clicking sound amplifies out of my mouth like a megaphone. You really need to try this on an elevator! :)

"Enjoy life and have some fun along the way"

Rob

Paravalvular leakage was questioned in one of the earlier posts.

While it's technically possible for it to be a result of sugical error or damage to the valve skirt, it's not often the valve's fault. It's usually caused by weakness of the tissue (myxomatous tissue) where the valve was sewn in, allowing a stitch or two to pull out. The surgeon doesn't have too much leeway on the installation site, so he/she sews into what presents itself. Fortunately, valves can often function quite adequately for many years with some perivalvular leakage.

Myxomatous tissue is generally associated with BAVD, mitral prolapse, and connective tissue disorders. Often it's just in the valve itself (as in some cases of Mitral valve prolapse). It's not highly prevalent, even in BAVers, but can be a reason for valve failure, perivalvular leaks, and even failure of the transplanted valve in Ross procedures.

Best wishes,

Paravalvular leakage was questioned in one of the earlier posts.

While it's technically possible for it to be a result of sugical error or damage to the valve skirt, it's not often the valve's fault. It's usually caused by weakness of the tissue (myxomatous tissue) where the valve was sewn in, allowing a stitch or two to pull out.........................

Endorsing what Bob said above and thanking him for all the valuable information he always provides us with, here is more info about paravulvular leakage:

1. PVL is most commonly related to disruption of sewing ring sutures precipitated by infectious endocarditis accompanied by an abscess formation or significant calcification and fibrotic scar of the annulus. Technical factors during the surgical procedure may also play a role. They may result in incomplete apposition of the valvular structure against the annulus leading to formation of single or multiple jets located externally to the sewing ring. ................

You may read the whole article: http://www.escardio.org/communities...mplication-implantation-prosthetic-valve.aspx

2. ..............Paravalvular regurgitation is an infrequent complication of valve replacement. It occasionally results from improper implantation of a valve, excessive calcification or friable and fragile tissues at the site of ring attachment due to infection....................

You may read more here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2569914/

Good luch with your choice.:smile2:

Hi tobagoto and Eva

Thank YOU VERY MUCH for your posts. OMG, I have been shaking at the knees regarding MHV leakage. Your posts supported my personal hypotheses that MHV leakage is not because of the structural/operating design engineering of the MHV. Rather it is associated with the interrelationship between the sewing cuff and the recipients heart muscle.

Joining the class of 2011 on Mar 21.

bdryer, I hope the moguls on the other side of the mountain have all melted. Looking forward to seeing your next post post-surgery,

Hello Friend:

You seem to know quite a bit about this. My question is for my 75 year old Dad, I don't want his chest cracked open for a valve replacement. Have you heard of a company that coordinates non-surgical aortic valve replacement for Americans, this is available in Europe.

Thanks.

Meredith

Hello Friend:

You seem to know quite a bit about this. My question is for my 75 year old Dad, I don't want his chest cracked open for a valve replacement. Have you heard of a company that coordinates non-surgical aortic valve replacement for Americans, this is available in Europe.

Thanks.

Meredith

I'm not PEM, but Right now in the US they (Aortic percutaneous valve replacements) are only available thru clinical trials, for higher risk patients. I don't know if your dad would be a candidate but here is the link to the Sapien trials that have been going on for a few years http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT00530894?term=sapien&rank=1&show_locs=Y#locn Hospitals that are part of the trials are located at the bottom, your father could contact one of them if he is interested in seeing if he is a candidate. (You also can read what includes or excludes patients at that link)

Also they are just starting the trials for Medtronics corevalve http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT01240902?term=corevalve&rank=4&show_locs=Y#locn has a list of who is currently recruiting and who will be.

You could do a search here for Sapien and quite a few threads should come up also corevalve, but since those trials are just starting there isn't as much info here

Good morning Pem
Your thread starter has provided you with a wealth of information to base your valve decision--that's great.
My 2 cents worth--
Tissue or mechanical go with a valve with a proven track record of performance.
I relied on my surgeon and it was a mistake. A very big one. It's always what you don't know, and you know plenty.

Latest posts

Back