Decision made. going mechanical

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judy13

So I have decided to go with mechanical. As far as re-op one never knows, but this decisions lowers those odds. Coumadin should not be a problem either as I am a geriactric nurse and about 1/3 of our patients are on ACT without incidence. Even had a few elderly patients take a tumble or two. Injuries ranging from fractured hips to head lacerations, (dont mean to make it sound like all of our patients are flopping on the floor) but over the years can't recall any complications related to their coumadin use. And as far as the ticking goes, if I can sleep through my husbands snoring I can sleep through anything. Also plan on home testing/dosing if possible.

Coumadin should not be a problem either as I am a geriactric nurse and about 1/3 of our patients are on ACT without incidence. Even had a few elderly patients take a tumble or two. Injuries ranging from fractured hips to head lacerations, (dont mean to make it sound like all of our patients are flopping on the floor) but over the years can't recall any complications related to their coumadin use.

Judy, good to know as I am about to enter the "geriactric world".:wink2::rolleyes2::thumbup:

Also plan on home testing/dosing if possible.

You will find the folks here to be most knowledgeable, considerate and supportive - especially post-op when you will have questions that you can't possibly imagine at this point. I am 5 years and 6 days post-op - doing quite well. I have an ATS Medical aortic valve, very quiet, no complications. I self test/dose and LOVE it. Should be possible for you, also. Know that you have the support of many.

Judy the toughest obstacle is finding knowledgable management. If you can find one, you've got it made. As for the ticking, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised in the end.

So I have decided to go with mechanical. As far as re-op one never knows, but this decisions lowers those odds. Coumadin should not be a problem either as I am a geriactric nurse and about 1/3 of our patients are on ACT without incidence. Even had a few elderly patients take a tumble or two. Injuries ranging from fractured hips to head lacerations, (dont mean to make it sound like all of our patients are flopping on the floor) but over the years can't recall any complications related to their coumadin use. And as far as the ticking goes, if I can sleep through my husbands snoring I can sleep through anything. Also plan on home testing/dosing if possible.

Judy,
My original damaged valve made more noise than the mechanical I have now. I usually hear it when I go to bed as I sleep on my left side, but it sounds muffled and to me not the least bit annoying.

You've made an excellent choice, Judy. The most important is that it is your choice and we all join in wishing you a smooth surgery with a bump free recovery. You will do fine and you have a very supportive group here eager to help you in any way possible.

Judy: I'm 49 and will be undergoing surgery this coming week. I will be going mechanical with the On-X valve. My surgeon recommended tissue but said mechanical would be fine as well. My two cardiologists favored mechanical. I made the decision early and haven't revisited the choice since. Good luck to you.

Dan

Thanks for all the great advice. I am very confident and comfortable with my decision. Now lets see, What elese can I stress about. This waiting room phase is a killer. Best wishes on your surgery danlo5o, I'm sure you'll do great.

Thanks for all the great advice. I am very confident and comfortable with my decision. Now lets see, What elese can I stress about. This waiting room phase is a killer. Best wishes on your surgery danlo5o, I'm sure you'll do great.

Well lets see now, what can we find for you to stress about. I know, being seen naked on the floor! Yeah, that's it. Oh yeah, I want pics of it too! :biggrin2:

Hey Judy - don't forget to cut your toe nails, it might be awhile before your able to reach that far, not to mention lifting your knee up that high.

No need to stress, find a good book and veg or make some frozen dinners.

Latest posts

Back