Date set for Drivetopless' AVR - Jan 13

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivetopless

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I will be starting off 2011 with a new and improved heart valve. Dr. J. Alan Wolfe will be implanting an On-X valve in me at the Northeast Georgia Medical Center (number 1 rated heart hospital in Georgia). It feels good to have a date finally!

Hi DT,

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
You'll be ready for those Hot-Lanta summers after your recovery period.

Do what you can between now and then to be in the best health possible. This will help you.

Cheers from Nashville,
Rob

Great! That's good news. Start lining up those ducks and getting everything ready.
Best,
John

THanks, guys.

Larry- I'm feeling good that the date is set but have moments of dread because it's really going to happen.

I am practicing my armless standing from chairs and beds--building up those quads!

Question= There will apparently by a large incision made in the groin area for some sort of bypass/tubey thing.

Was that a tough incision to recover from? Any tips?

THanks, guys.

Larry- I'm feeling good that the date is set but have moments of dread because it's really going to happen.

I am practicing my armless standing from chairs and beds--building up those quads!

Question= There will apparently by a large incision made in the groin area for some sort of bypass/tubey thing.

Was that a tough incision to recover from? Any tips?

Justin has always said his sternum incisions were never really "painful" more just uncomfortable or sore, but his bypass incision by his groin really botherred him the first few days. Especially when he was trying to walk alot to get home and on with healing. Some people have no problems (pain) with the incision but I've heard of a few other who thought that botherred them more than the sternum. He only had it for one of his surgeries and after a few days it didn't bother him much, but he had some numb areas of his thigh that took a while to get back to normal.

Good idea to practice standing w/out your arms.

DriveT, wishing you all the best for an uneventful surgery and recovery.

I didn't get an incision in the groin during the surgery. All the tubes entered through the sternum opening, are you having minimally invasive surgery?

DT, I had a sternal incision so besides the large incision there were only 4 smaller incision in the abdomen for the wires and tubes. If you are having a less invasive surgery, perhaps, they may be connecting the hear-lung machine there.

Some practice not using the arms can only help. Besides bearing weight on my arms for awhile, I also found that repetitive motions troubled by chest muscles while they were healing. This I discovered after chopping veggies for a pot of stew. After those first 3 weeks, however, you will find that week by week your chest muscles will support more weight; just don't push it. When you do, you will be reminded that they are not happy with you. In my Cardiac Rehab group, the standard rule was to begin upper body exercise at 12 weeks. By then, most people are pretty comfortable.

Larry

I'm having the mini-sternotomy. Incision should be about 3-4" long in in the upper sternum area.

Still have to have some imaging tests done. Surgeon and cardiologist are in discussions as to what type. I know that I will have a CT scan, but probably not the cath (don't expect that I have any blockages with my age/history)

Surgeon said he will plan to also replace the aorta if he gets in there and after looking at the aortic wall thickness he finds there is any wall thinning that could indicate a future aneurysm is a possibility. He and I discussed being agressive while he is in there if the aorta walls look problematic for the future, even if there is no aneurysm yet. I am happy with this more aggressive but proactive approach if warranted--do NOT want another surgery if I can help it.

Hi DT,

I will have surgery a few days earlier on 01/04/2010 at Providence St Vincent, Portland OR: Angiogram 1st day followed next day with St Jude mechanical valve + St Jude conduit to replace aorta.

Way to start a new year...;)
Good bye ski season.

Now, if you need aorta replacement, it seems that you might not get minimally invasive surgery...

Best wishes,
Clement

The incision for mine was on the left inside leg-----about 6 inches up from the knee.The incision is made from side to side rather than up and down the leg.The incision was no more than 2 inches long,very percision cut and stapled together with fine,fine staples which were removed with staple removal sissors by the bedside nurse on the third day.I felt no pain from this incision and it has been exactly one week since surgery.I will tell you that the area from the incision up to the groin (that whole fleshy area on the inside of the leg) was black ,blue,purple and some yellow thrown in for good measure.This bruising comes from exploring and cutting the leg vein out that will be used for bypass.So to summerize------this incision was on the bottom of my list,have had no pain and when I get out of the shower I scare myself with all the colors down there.

Latest posts

Back