Crazy post op symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canon4me

Woke up night before last at 2:00 am to the most excruciating pain in my left scapula/back I have ever experienced. That day I had helped my wife carry up two Rubbermaid totes of books from the basement. Didn't really lift but let them hang with my arm straight down. No apparent problem. No pain. Later, at 2:00 am the pain was so intense I took two OxyContin left over when the hospital dismissed me from my VRS on 6/5/13. The oxy's would barely take the edge off of it. Went to chiropractor. He avoided cracking me because I had had a full sternotomy. I had my three week cardiologist appt yesterday and the cardio said that so many things get affected when they cut through the sternum that it didn't surprise him that I experienced that pain the night before last. He was supportive but couldn't offer any help other than what I had done. It seems as though it is only problematic when I get ready for bed and lay down. I cannot for the life of me find one position that alleviates the pain somewhat, but rely on the Oxy and Alleve to just take the edge off the pain. The heart surgery pain does not even approach the level I am experiencing. Just thought I would vent. My wife feels helpless when she hears me moaning.

On a good note.....the cardio said heart wise I am doing great. He took me off of two drugs and hopefully that will help the nausea. My pulse seems low at 48 and blood pressure has been coming up to about 100/65. I get so dizzy upon rising that I almost pass out. Food still doesn't taste good and hopefully with the shedding of two drugs that will improve. That is my progress report for today. Doc said I can resume work anytime so I will go back on 8/12. Cardio rehab is going excellent. All for now. Hope the shoulder pain goes away. Did I say I hope the shoulder pain goes away?

I've seen a couple accounts here of severe neck/shoulder pain following OHS. I had AVR on Friday 7/26, and on the following Tues and Weds after I returned home I experienced it myself - it felt like a dull icepick jabbing into the region between my neck and scapula - I took 2 oxy 3 hours apart and go some relief from that. On Thursday it was gone, but I had another touch of it on Friday. I don't know if your exertion triggered this, but personally I would have left the books in the basement for another day. But I find it really easy to overdo and pay the price. I went upstairs from the first to the second floor with insufficient rest between steps and when I reached the top I was so out of breath I could barely stand. It took 30 minutes to resolve, and that's one mistake I don't intend to repeat.

So what I'm hearing from you Dave is that there are potholes in the road on the other side of the mountain? Rats, now you tell me! :)

It looks like I'm a go for Monday morning surgery as the hospital called last night to confirm everything. At 58, I'm just a kid compared to you so I'll try not to complain too loudly or often. See you back here in a few days. Take care!

Sounds fairly classic of muscles which are tense and compensating. Physiotherapists and osteopaths will tell you that OHS often leaves you with some back issues to work through when your healed well enough.

Your probably not even aware that your tensing up as your body unconsciously "protects" the injury.

Have you tried getting a massage from someone who can work with your post operative sensitivities?

Pellicle, I guess I was a little naive going into my surgery, not realizing how the trauma of the surgery affected other body systems and anatomical parts. I'm finding that out more everyday.

Oops! Forget I said that - I didn't mean to give away a carefully guarded OHS secret :wink2:!
Seriously, Jack - best of luck to you. I'm now 8 days post op and starting to feel at least decent. I guess we'll talk on the other side - I'll be thinking about you Monday: you should feel like communicating again by Thursday or Friday. Best of luck!

Dave

Woke up night before last at 2:00 am to the most excruciating pain in my left scapula/back I have ever experienced. That day I had helped my wife carry up two Rubbermaid totes of books from the basement. Didn't really lift but let them hang with my arm straight down. No apparent problem. No pain. Later, at 2:00 am the pain was so intense I took two OxyContin left over when the hospital dismissed me from my VRS on 6/5/13. The oxy's would barely take the edge off of it. Went to chiropractor. He avoided cracking me because I had had a full sternotomy. I had my three week cardiologist appt yesterday and the cardio said that so many things get affected when they cut through the sternum that it didn't surprise him that I experienced that pain the night before last. He was supportive but couldn't offer any help other than what I had done. It seems as though it is only problematic when I get ready for bed and lay down. I cannot for the life of me find one position that alleviates the pain somewhat, but rely on the Oxy and Alleve to just take the edge off the pain. The heart surgery pain does not even approach the level I am experiencing. Just thought I would vent. My wife feels helpless when she hears me moaning.

On a good note.....the cardio said heart wise I am doing great. He took me off of two drugs and hopefully that will help the nausea. My pulse seems low at 48 and blood pressure has been coming up to about 100/65. I get so dizzy upon rising that I almost pass out. Food still doesn't taste good and hopefully with the shedding of two drugs that will improve. That is my progress report for today. Doc said I can resume work anytime so I will go back on 8/12. Cardio rehab is going excellent. All for now. Hope the shoulder pain goes away. Did I say I hope the shoulder pain goes away?

NO HEAVY LIFTING----NO HEAVY LIFTING.
Don't make me go over there and smack you upside the head ;)

Definitely talk with nurses, etc at cardiac rehab. As others have noted, back, shoulder and neck pain are pretty common post-surgery, although it sounds like you were hit harder than many. Are you doing upper body exercises at CR? How is you walking program going?

My best to you. I hope you get past this soon. -- Suzanne

Almost 3 weeks post op and I would say my back, neck and shoulder pain has been much worse than the chest. I have noticed it especially after going out to the grocery store, Target etc. I come home with my back and neck very sore and often a wicked headache. I am thinking this is due to tension and stress that I am putting on my back and neck to overcompensate or protect my chest. I plan on talking to my doc about it when I go for my appt this week. Friends and family have even noticed how tense I look when moving around. Hoping as the recovery continues - I will begin to feel more natural. I hope your pain goes away soon and you are able to find some comfort.
Kim

The pain has been much more painful than the heart surgery itself. I slept until about 4 am today and have been taking Aleve and using ice packs on my shoulder. I think I will make appt tomorrow with my orthopedist and see if he will give me a shot of cortisone and tame down the inflammation. It's not my rotator cuff, but farther back on my shoulder not on my deltoid. I can put my finger right on the spot but I don't know if further massaging is doing more harm than good. This seems crazy that I have finally got through the surgery, atrial fibrillation and pericardial effusion to have this crap creep up. Oh we'll, my mother told me many years ago nobody ever said life was easy. How right she was

update: I ran across this post and it describes it almost to a T. It gets really bad at night in bed and the later the day gets, the more the pain comes on. http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?6917-Pain-under-left-shoulder-blade-How-long

I've been doing a ton of reading tonight because even 2 OxyContin won't take the edge off the pain I'm experiencing. I believe I have a case of Adhesive Capsulitis or more commonly known as Frozen Shoulder. I'm going to start at the orthopedist and ask him for a cortisone injection. Interestingly enough, this malady often occurs after a major event such as heart surgery. I didn't experience this until I did an intense session on the air dyne at cardio rehab whereas I used my arms in a pumping action, probably using muscles I hadn't used in a long time. I finally got a little relief tonight by sitting up in a chair. Hopefully, I will fall asleep in it. Just another bump in the road I guess, but very grateful to have my valve replaced and working properly. All these little ancillary things are a pain in the butt though!

I hope I'm no indication, but at 2.5 years out, I STILL have neck pain - way worse that any I had before surgery. My doc's aren't sure it is connected to the surgery, but can they ever be sure on things like this?

I had frozen shoulder several years ago. After several weeks at physical therapy, I was as good as new. -- Suzanne

Hi canon4me

Just wanted to check in and see if you have any relief from your shoulder pain? Or if you ever got an official diagnosis? I ask because I got the ok to drive from my cardiologist 4 weeks out and I think I may have overdone my activity the last 2 days...picking up the kids from camp (carrying backpacks) cleaning out our playroom, making dinner etc. and now I have the most excruciating shoulder pain. Constant pain and especially when I breathe deeply. 2 oxy hasn't touched it and of course it is 4am and I haven't slept a wink. Will probably have to call the doc tomorrow and kicking myself for moving through my recovery too fast. Exactly 1 month anniversary tomorrow and until now - no problems. Ugh.
Thanks - Kim

Are you doing upper body exercises at CR? How is you walking program going?

Hi Suzanne,
I just came back from my 2 week post op visit with my surgeon. Although I had a minimally invasive aortic replacement, he warned me only concentrate on exercises from the waist down, i.e., no upper body stuff. Basically he said to let the upper body exercises go for about 3 months so I am curious about your workout. I use to workout 3-4 times a week at the gym before surgery and about half the time it was in strength training. I know I can't use weights now, but are there alternatives? Clawie1 aka Nita

July 21, 2013, Minimally invasive Aortic Valve Replacement, 21 mm St. Jude porcine valve, septal myomectomy, Age 73. Keck Hospital at USC, Los Angeles, Ca. Dr. Cunningham, Surgeon

After further shoulder/chest pain and a trip to the cardiologist, I have been diagnosed with pericarditis. First real bump in the road 4 weeks out. And about as much fun as a root canal. Echo tomorrow to confirm and right now just treating w/ Advil. Sad and frustrated because I was going to start cardio rehab next week and now that has been put on hold. Anyone else have experience with this lovely post surgery complication?
Kim

Are you doing upper body exercises at CR? How is you walking program going?

Hi Suzanne,
I just came back from my 2 week post op visit with my surgeon. Although I had a minimally invasive aortic replacement, he warned me only concentrate on exercises from the waist down, i.e., no upper body stuff. Basically he said to let the upper body exercises go for about 3 months so I am curious about your workout. I use to workout 3-4 times a week at the gym before surgery and about half the time it was in strength training. I know I can't use weights now, but are there alternatives? Clawie1 aka Nita

July 21, 2013, Minimally invasive Aortic Valve Replacement, 21 mm St. Jude porcine valve, septal myomectomy, Age 73. Keck Hospital at USC, Los Angeles, Ca. Dr. Cunningham, Surgeon

The exercise trainer at Cardiac Rehab started me doing standard upper body exercises with light weights about 5 weeks after surgery. I did them first with no weights, then with 1#. I have not been doing any weights for over a year, so have only worked up to 3#, 4# or 5# weights.

It seemed to me that my sternal incision healed sooner (or at least gave me fewer problems) than many. I slept on my side as soon as I was home from the hospital and stopped have issues with pain when coughing/sneezing about 3 weeks out.

-- Suzanne

Just noticed this thread. Canon, I doubt you have frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis), based on my 33 years as a physical therapist, hundreds of frozen shoulders treated, and many hundreds more that came in with that diagnosis but actually had something else. For one thing, onset is usually gradual, without a specific injury or event. Second, pain is usually fairly diffuse, in the shoulder joint itself, and not a specific spot that you can put your finger on. Your pain sounds more posterior/scapular in location, which in my experience frequently means a problem in the thoracic spine rather than the shoulder itself, or possibly a problem in one of the rotator cuff muscles originating from the scapula - supraspinatus or infraspinatus most likely. I would strongly suggest you see a physical therapist for an accurate diagnosis, and be wary of self-diagnosis by internet;)

Latest posts

Back