Crazy post op symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sustained a signifigant tear of my left rotator cuff with my first OHS. I had to have surgery on it 6 months after my OHS. From what I understand, neck and shoulder problems are common after OHS from spreading the mediastinum during surgery. I am getting ready to face round 2 (ascending aortic aneurysm repair), and I will tell them to please take care with my shoulders this time!

Likewise thoracic spine problems are also common due to the joints between the ribs and the t. spine being taken well past their normal range of motion while everything is retracted for surgery. I had some of that post-op myself; it can present as stiffness, aching or sharp pain anywhere from just outboard of the spine (just inside the shoulder blade) or right around the rib to the sternum as referred pain. Makes sense when you stop to think about what those joints have been through!

i had shoulder pain also but i figured it out it was the cane they gave me i was to so much presure on it that it made my shoulder hurt

My MRI from 8/14.....

Focal increased T2 signal occurring at the myotendinous junction along the undersurface of the supraspinatus tendon. Overall pattern is consistent with a combination of tendonosis as well as superimposed smaller focus of partial thickness undersurface tearing. Defect is estimated at 30-40% overall depth. Size is o.5 x 0.5 cm. the infraspinatus appears normal. The subscapularis and trees minor appear intact.

The labrum demonstrates degenerative fibrillation of the posterior quadrant. Findings are consistent with a degenerative type injury. There is a small osteochondral loose body identified within the bicipital tendon sheath slightly posterior to the tendon meAsuring 0.3 cm in diameter. An additional osteochondral loose body is identified within the subcoracoid bursa measuring up to 0.5 cm in diameter.

Impression:

1. Supraspinatus tendonosis with superimposed focal partial width, partial thickness undersurface tear.
2. Degenerative fibrillation involving the superior and anterior quadrants of the labrum.
3. Osteochondral loose bodies noted within the bicipital tendon sheath and subcoracoid bursa.

I started physical therapy today with a PT. hoping to avoid surgery. PT said he thinks there is more going on around my scapula on my back. He said I have atrophied musculature viewable from my back. We'll see how this goes. I was reading on the Internet about how during surgery when they, do a full sternotomy how they have you really spread open and your arms are dangling in an almost unnatural position. I wonder if my AVR surgery could have been the start of this latest episode? I know a lot of this is chronic injury that has accumulated over the years from lifting weights like behind the neck press and on the pec dec.

Back