crackle at the base of lungs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrappy

I looked at previous threads and could not find exactly what I wanted to. But, I do have a question. I am four months post op AVR and Aneurysm repair. When I am laying on my right side or on my back I can feel a crackling sound/feeling. My doctor says my lungs are clear. Can anyone help with this? My anxiety level is quite high right now. Thanks, Jason

I don't know what it is. I do know, though, that your doctor said your lungs were clear. He/she looked/listened with a highly professional ear. Their opinions do matter. If the sensation is not causing you anything but anxiety, try to consider this. Your body really, really, really got messed with!! You very recently had major with a capitol M surgery! You are made up of uncountable, miniscule parts -- many of which are fighting heroically to heal within you. You are going to feel some weird things! Nothing like this has ever happened to you, so how could you be familiar with all the feelings of recovery. Maybe it's just part and parcel of the whole journey of recovery.

Please continue to seek answers and confirmations; either with us or your doctors. And go with your instincts. If you really feel that something is amiss, insist that things be checked out as far as you want to take it. But also try to acknowledge that you just may not get any answers and the feelings may subside on their own in due time. Honor your body's willingness to branch out in new ways in order to heal.

Hang in there! Best wishes.

Marguerite

Hi I get that crackling in my lungs but it is from the dripping in my head. Especially bad when my sinuses act up. If you do a deep cough or clear your throat - it will go away. It is worse when I sleep on my side since everything drains down one side. I have had a lot during the last 7 weeks. My lungs are clear too. Maybe yours is different, but that's my case of crackle!

Pat

I looked at previous threads and could not find exactly what I wanted to. But, I do have a question. I am four months post op AVR and Aneurysm repair. When I am laying on my right side or on my back I can feel a crackling sound/feeling. My doctor says my lungs are clear. Can anyone help with this? My anxiety level is quite high right now. Thanks, Jason

Jason, for about 4 weeks post surgery I had this crackling/bubbling sound in my lungs at the end of each exhaled breath, when one is not breathing before inhaling the next breath. I noticed it especially when lying on my back before trying to go to sleep. I was convinced that I had fluid on my lungs but all the tests were clear. The sound went away on its own after about 3 to 4 weeks.

My sound was definitely in my lungs and not my sternum. I would actually lie and listen to it after exhaling each breath and while holding my breath I could hear the crackling/bubbling.

The surgery was particularly hard on my lungs (although I never smoked in my life) and I had breathing problems the first 3 days in ICU so it could just have been my lungs sort of getting back to normal.

Last edited:
I've had that as well. I had pleuresy about a month after surgery and it started with that feeling. Pleuresy is the inflammation of the pleural sac - the sac around your lungs.

I still get it from time to time. I take Advil and it usually goes away in several days. A couple of times I was worried it was fluid in my lungs but each time I went to my doctor and she assured me my lungs were clear.

Just another fun side effect of the surgery!

I don't know what to say but I feel it near my sternum. I'll post the results of my echo and ultrasound next week. It feels the same as when I had fluid but the pulmonologist said it's not fluid.

Back