Countdown to the unknown begins...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaconne

Yesterday I confirmed my surgery will be November 7. After knowing I had a condition for 20 years, and knowing I was going to do something about it for 1 year, I am finally going to go under the knife.

I am barely symptomatic and feel good most of the time. The only thing I notice is when I exercise, I feel I've gone for a longer distance than I have, and that I feel a little more fatigued than I used to be, in general. I've put it off a few months but I've decided I need to do what I can to be there at least another 20-25 years for my 3 kids. I find myself asking a lot of questions like:

- Is there life after AVR Surgery?
- Will I be worse off after I recover than I am now?
- Will I be able to continue the same level of cycling, swimming, hiking mountain climbing, home remodeling, wood working etc...
- Will I have all kinds of unknown complications from the surgery and being on Warfarin?
- Will I be able to help out with my family at the same level that I have been?

I'm very grateful that I have such a supportive family. I'm grateful that heart surgery is so successful these days, and that it's nothing like the brush with death I had with metastatic Melanoma 2 years ago. Most of all I grateful for Christ in my life, and knowing that He will see me through.

Thanks to all on this site for your words of experience, encouragement, wisdom and making the journey over the last year so much easier.

God bless you all,
-Steve

Steve, just put your surgery date on the VR calendar. You've dealt with a good deal in your life, and you have a great support system in place. Whatever questions you have now, please know that most of us had similar ones and understand the uncertainty.
I think you will find your life is better post AVR.

I am barely symptomatic and feel good most of the time. The only thing I notice is when I exercise, I feel I've gone for a longer distance than I have, and that I feel a little more fatigued than I used to be, in general. I've put it off a few months but I've decided I need to do what I can to be there at least another 20-25 years for my 3 kids. I find myself asking a lot of questions like:

- Is there life after AVR Surgery?
- Will I be worse off after I recover than I am now?
- Will I be able to continue the same level of cycling, swimming, hiking mountain climbing, home remodeling, wood working etc...
- Will I have all kinds of unknown complications from the surgery and being on Warfarin?
- Will I be able to help out with my family at the same level that I have been?

-Steve

Steve, I was much like you...no symptons, felt pretty well...but I had known for many years that I had a serious problem. Even after the surgery, I was convinced I only had about twenty years to live......boy was I wrong:biggrin2:. I'll take a shot at answering your questions.
There is a lot of life after the surgery:thumbup:.
You, most certainly, will be better off.
I was active before the surgery and have continued to be active after the surgery. I built a cabin, have done a lot of woodworking and home remodeling, coached many little league football and basketball teams. I just walked in from playing nine holes of golf walking...the fourth day this week and will play again tomorrow (our weather is currently fantastic) good Lord willing:wink2:.
I have experienced NO long term side effects from the surgery and warfarin is not a problem so long as you obey two simple rules......take the pill as prescribed and routinely test.
There should be nothing you cannot do :angel:, except "run with scissors":rolleyes2:

Steve, the main issue about post-op vs. pre-op is the timing of when the lines cross. Going in with miserable symptoms (as you are NOT) has a disadvantage and an advantage. The disadvantage is that your end point may be worse. The advantage is that you'll feel better than pre-op sooner.

For folks like you and me who go under the knife with only minor symptoms, the long-term prognosis is excellent, but it may take a few extra months post-op before you feel better than you did on the way into the hospital. We all get hit by roughly the same size truck, and it does take our heart a little while to figure out that it's better off after the collision.

I hope that helps more than it confuses!

Steve ... all I can say is everyone is different but for me there is no question about health, everything being better ... I feel like I have been given life and I'm going to live it to the fullest ....

I did not think I was symptomatic but after I had full recovered from my AVR it was obvious that think were much better, energy and attitude all improved ... I'm sure you will do fine .... Godspeed:thumbup:

Thanks for your replies, I find it very insightful and encouraging.

Duffey, Is there an official VR calendar that can be viewed?

Dick, I'm honored to be addressed by a true VR.org celebrity, thanks for the encouragement

Norm, I find your description very insightful. I think the reality, I must face, is that It could take a while to feel as good as I do now. However, the psychological load of the unknown will be gone, and it will be encouraging to know that things will most likely get better, and not worse.

Steve - I'm older than you (now almost 64) and just had aortic valve replacement about 7 months ago. I, too, felt that I was mostly asymptomatic. Up until about 6 months or a year prior to surgery, I was still jogging 3 miles daily (until my knees said to stop). Withoug going into lots of detail, I had a relatively uneventful surgery with some post-op complications. My first month of recovery was hell, and I didn't feel that I made much progress. Once we got the meds and such worked out, I quickly caught up with where we felt I should be, and by 6 months post op, I could honestly say that I felt at least as well as I did 6 months pre-op, if not better. I graduated cardiac rehab with honors and was even nominated class clown.

We all heal at different rates, with different issues (or none), but I think you'll find a near-universal opinion that most of us do better after surgery. You can see in my signature all the stuff I went through in surgery, but frankly most days it doesn't even come to mind. I just go on about my life. People still don't believe it when I tell them my age. I do, however, try to force myself to take a few minutes each day to reflect upon how lucky I am to have been given this "cardiac do-over." When I compare my mental state now to what it was a year ago, I'm overwhelmed and gratified at the difference. Try it, you'll like it.

Steve, I can add little to what our friends here have already said to you. It may be that you will experience some minor issues after surgery and that is pretty routine but they generally fade as you recover. For most of us, we feel better right away and we go on to live our lives, however, we tend to be a lot more aware of our health and appreciative of each new morning. You will likely be the same. Best Wishes.

Larry

Steve - We all ponder those questions and develop our own unique answers in the end, strong odds are definitely in your favor. It's easy to consider the bad possibilities, but for some reason, just not as natural to consider the good possibilities. I didn't consider that my young daughter would be better off for it, but she is. I didn't consider that my family as a whole would have significantly more valuable time together, but we have. I didn't consider that I'd be happier, but I am.

Before my surgery, I was symptom free, in otherwise perfect health. Right now, I am symptom free, in otherwise perfect health. I've got an upgrade too, a better valve. Life is perfectly normal. Life is not only good, but better.

Best wishes to you.

BTW Steve I'm now 10 weeks post op and just finished my 1st week back at work full time with cardiac rehab before work 3 times a week. Just 10 weeks ago I couldn't breath. Don't get me wrong, I'm still not completely confident in myself and still feel kinda burnt out throughout the day but I'm starting to get back to life. If I'm doing this well at at 10 weeks I can't imagine how I'll be feeling in a year. I still get funny little heart beats and the pounding thumping feeling still visit off and on through the day but it all is seeming to get less the busier I've become. Did I mention its only been 10 weeks! LOL hasn't been easy its been a quest I'm sure one day I'll look back and just cry with joy that I'm still alive.

Elect,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I rode my bike to work today and did some extra hills, I felt great and found myself wondering what I'm getting myself into in exactly 4 weeks! It's nice to hear life can be even better after the surgery.

Julian Dude!

It's great to hear you're doing so well! Keep it up, and thanks for the good words (Prov 27:17).

-Steve

Latest posts

Back