Consequences of low heart rate (bradycardia)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm probably not the norm. My resting HR was in the upper 40s most of my adult life and after AVR, it was in the 60s when on Metoprolol and 70s when I initially went off of it. Now, at one year out, I'm back down to the upper 50s. I didn't get lightheaded before surgery, but I do now. Not sure what to make of it, nor are my GP and Cardio other then possible dehydration. My conditioning is back to 85% of what it was presurgery and that's after back surgery in March, so I'm not too concerned, just keeping an eye on it. My only vision problems are from getting older!

And studies have shown that those who have a little more weight as they age tend to fare better healthwise than those who become somewhat underweight.

That's interesting....

but conflicts with what I have heard about Dogs...

namely that Dogs that are slightly underweight (and presumably somewhat under-fed) live longer (and were presumably healthier).

I'll have to reseach those conflicting theories.

'AL C'

I'm 22 and have a pulse in the mid 50s; have had it at least since 2 years ago at least (can't remember past then.) Found out over the summer when I found my BAV that it drops down to high 30s while sleeping. I have had occular migraines with aura since I was in junior high and have recently been having vision problems: blurriness, photosensitivity, "floaters." This thread made me realize that they intensify when I am sitting down, but when I am moving around I am largely fine. I went and saw an opthamologist and have a slight prescription but not enough to cause any of the above problems. Could it be that I am feeling the effects of my low pulse!? Now I'm wondering...

Rick,
While asleep your heart rate dropped did this continue in the morning. Yesterday mine was low in the a.m. and fine in the p.m. dropping again this a.m.. Maybe sleeping isn't healthy;)

Sue
What is a complete heart block?

Nancy, PCP has ordered some tests and has referred me to a cardiologist. Hopefully it doesn't lead to a pacemaker. No thank you, wires inserted into heart--I shudder to think.:eek:

I found this quote...

Third degree or complete heart block: this is the most serious type and it occurs when the electrical signals do not travel between the upper and lower chambers of your heart. It is most common in adults with heart disease and can have serious complications, such as heart attack, if it is not treated with a pacemaker.

Installing a pacemaker wasn't an option as my INR was 8.9. Mine was caused by digoxin and once they stopped that I recovered in a few days, it was a 'hairy' few days though. My mother also had heart block caused by digoxin so I guess we are sensitive to it.

Latest posts

Back